120fps in Index with this setup?

Hey

I have narrowed my search for my first VR headset down to two contenders, the Index and the upcoming Reverb G2.

The Reverb G2 can only run 90hz, so it's easier to get iracing, ac, automobilista 2, etc run at 90fps to match.

My understanding is that consistency of frame rate is more important than the hz/fps (especially in terms of preventing motion sickness), but that the Index's 120fps/hz has been curing a lot of people's motion sickness. They get motion sick on a Rift S easily, use the Index, no more motion sickness. See this thread for one:

So, leaning towards the Index due to the 120hz and to the reports of it helping with motion sickness (not to mention the best headset in most every other way), but my question is, can i actually run the above named games at 120fps with the following computer setup. Jeff Ford (of FEG) is going to build the computer

i5-9600KF OC'd to 4.7-5.2 (Jeff says OC'd this way it is comparable to the i9-9900K for much less money, he adds the OC for free)
RTX 2070 Super (he will OC this also)
16 GB DDR4 (he will OC this also)

I am thinking the video card may be the weak link there, and i do not want to spend $700+ on a video card if possible. Maybe i should wait for the new Nvidia cards coming out in September? Maybe i could get somehow into a 2080ti equivalent for around $500 in a few months when the new cards come out.

I want to be able to run at a consistent real (not projected) 120fps to match the 120hz (and at good graphic quality settings). If i can only run the Index at 90hz in the racing games above that i want to play, then i may as well wait for the Reverb G2 and save $400 (and live with the reduced FOV), since the G2 is basically the Index in every other way.

Thanks!
Randy
:)

Last edited:
Hi Randy :) I only play VR racing in Assetto Corsa. I have never tried those other titles. In AC, turn off all post process effects. You'll get a slightly better framerate and your driving experience will be brighter.

Messing around a little more tonight, I'm able to 200% supersample the resolution in SteamVR. I have no idea how this is possible. I suspected it should be struggling at least a little but maybe because of my other AC settings, it runs at nearly constant 120fps. It looks super sharp and excellent in the Index! very impressed on this finding.

Even with a binned, delidded 9700k running at 5ghz all cores, it's not able to sustain 144fps most of the time without drasticly reducing settings. But it'll do 120fps absolutely no problem nearly the whole time. Surprised I'm CPU limited here.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back