GT Sport Rate The Sims: Community Edition | GT Sport

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
We are looking to crown the 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite' racing game - get your votes in now for our next game on the list... GT Sport!

Our dear RaceDepartment community. You folks are the most mighty fans of sim racing, often displaying an immense amount of understanding and depth of knowledge when it comes to our favourite hobby.

With sim racing and eSports in such a wonderful boom period of late. Gamers looking to have some fun with their virtual racing machines have never before had such a wide and robust variety of software to enjoy.

Now occasionally I've been in a position to rate new racing titles that have come my way, and almost every time I've received a wide variety of folks agreeing, or strongly disagreeing with my own opinions.

RD Community Favourite-GT Sportv2.jpg

Opinions are great, but sometimes the opinion of one person, with their own likes and dislikes taken into account, can often give a bit of a skewed picture (intentional or not) to the greater cause in which said person is trying to explain.

As such, rather than doing one myself, and in the spirit of engaging some interesting community discussion, I thought it could be fun to let our own community rate each of the key sim racing / racing games available today.

As always with these things, please do try and respect each other and their opinions, and let's try to see if we can give a fun, but fair shake of the stick to each of the games included in this poll.

For transparency, I'm going to be featuring the following racing games over the next weeks:

I'm going to launch the article each Monday evening, and keep the poll running for a full week until the next new article is pushed live. So get your votes in quick!

Once I've completed the full list of games, I'll publish a final results feature, and we can award the winning developer the lofty title of 'RaceDepartment Community Favourite'!

Have fun, stay sensible and let the voting commence!

Sim Racing is Awesome!

Great sim. Perhaps the best MP experience around. Scheduled races etc. ACC? Hello?
GT Sport even has a future in it if you're very fast. Company has been around for ages and....content keeps being added all the time. Most of all, Polyphony loves their customers. Everything has always been very positive surrounding this title. Reason enough to play it. Also, best steering control to be had with a controller. Why can't the other sims do that?

It's a 9 from me. Yeah that's not probably what people here want to hear, but hear me out on this.

This is a gateway, that I, and many others have used to get into "proper" sim racing. It's not arcade, certainly not, but it's not quite a full on sim either. It's something that IMO has been constructed to allow people of all abilities and controller types to get into online racing with a sense of realism. It's furthered the legitimacy of racing/driving e-sports through the slickly produced GT FIA series which in my opinion is a great thing

From a sim perspective it's got the basic driving physics there, even if they don't really represent the real car you're driving, and you can very much learn racecraft from it. It's also graphically stunning for a PS4 title, which really helps with the immersion. Plus the variety of cars and tracks have come on a long way since it's original release - all of it free. So in many ways it's ideal for somebody to dip their toes into sim racing

It may not be a sim in many peoples minds any more, but I ask how many of us are here as a result of the Gran Turismo series in the first place? Quite a lot I would imagine.

And for that reason it deserves a 9, not only for getting a lot of us into sim-racing, but also for making it accessible to anybody and everybody.

Think about that before you slam it with a 1

I don't own it, so haven't voted. However, spent many an evening in my yooof on this franchise, hotlapping with mates after some.... "leisure activity". Happy memories of a place and time in my history I'll always fondly recall, if not ever be in a position to repeat. Simpler times.

Although more arcade than some sims, as others have mentioned this sort of title is a wonderful gateway into our niche, so I'm all for it.

P

I dont own it either. Think the wife would lose her last marble if I bought a PS4 just for yet another racing title.
Weird to see people giving titles 1s and 2s, surely its got to be worth more than that?
It looks stunning, and the GT series always has no matter which iteration of the console it's been on.
I used to play GT on PS3 and Forza on Xbox. And, as has been said on this thread, they are both gateway titles for potential sim racers to dip their toes in without the huge outlay of a dedicated PC with wheels and pedals etc.
If I was rating the series it would probably be around a 5 or 6 for what it does to give people the experience of virtual racing. Once you've tried PC racing titles it can't really hold a candle to them in the physics dept., but these sorts of games aren't supposed to anyway.

Haven't played, not gonna vote.

I consider myself a fan of the series, have played them all up thru GT6. Physics in GTS look very GT-like - very floaty, but playable. Online system seems to be about as good as there is outside of iRacing.

Looks fun, many seem to enjoy it, I just don't have a GTS shaped hole in my life right now.

I had it for awhile before going PC full time and honestly about the only thing it has going for it is the scheduled races.
The driving and tire squeal are abysmal at best. Menus are well done, and I did enjoy the license tests they are challenging and fun wish more sims had them.
Still, I can't vote here as I always come back to the physics and when you have a self proclaimed "Real Driving Simulator" that feels like disney on ice I quickly get confused and lose interest.

I've played GT sport for a while, and i think it have the best online stucture. Be able to run online races in few clics with other players at your level is one of it's positive thing, with a nice graphics too.
also what they are doing with the FIA world tour is very nice, it gives a lot of visibility to esports and simracing.
the bad of this title imho is the penality sistem and the phisics, but i have to say thank you to GT sport, because it made me decide to buy a pc, and let me discover how beautifull is modding :) i've done something like 100 liveries on GT sport, and now i'm becoming a good skinner on AC.
it's a 7 for me.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing