• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

1080 Ti + Triple Monitor

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by The Thirty-first Tiger, Jun 10, 2019.

1. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Looking to build a sim racer, but can't figure out what screens i need. I'm looking to build a triple monitor setup of at least 120Hz. I currently have an Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC(11GB DDR5X).
    Can I run 3 1440p monitors 120+ Hz? Or should I only pick 1 120Hz screen in the middle and 60 on the sides? What are my options? Thank you!
    Also what screens are the best?

2. BenKay

BenKay
    Premium

Ratings:
    +24
    The graphics card isn't capable of rendering triple screens at different FPS's...you'll achieve an FPS level that is reflected across all 3 screens.

You'll struggle to achieve a constant 120Hz at 1440p, though it depends on the game of course, and whether you're willing to turn settings down to achieve it.

On that basis, you should pick ideally 3 matched screens (not least because it's much easier then to align and match bezels etc). There's no point only having 1 x 120Hz screen...unless you're going to run some games single-screen.

I'd highly recommend going G-Sync....or at least a Freesync monitor that is on Nvidia's approved list as working well.

I went with the Acer Predator 32" curved 1440p screens (165hz - GSync)...they're a VA screen and good enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info! What card do you use for those screens?

4. BenKay

BenKay
    Premium

Ratings:
    +24
    2080ti

5. Black_rat

Black_rat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    I have triple 1440 screens on a 1080ti, you have to turn settings down a bit but Gsync makes not achieving the max 144hz a none issue TBH, only when it drops down below 60 ish do I notice a difference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    I've google around I think I might go with the samsung ultrawide 49". Easier for the card and I will get smoother gaming I think

7. Black_rat

Black_rat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    The one thing puts me off the 49 is 1080 screen and no Gsync, otherwise I would be very interested.

8. trunky4545

trunky4545
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    the Samsung 49 is Freesync and g-sync compatible

9. Black_rat

Black_rat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    Excellent

10. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    It's 1080p indeed :( But I think ill get used to it really soon.

11. Alz_D

Alz_D

Ratings:
    +2
    They also have a 1440p version :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Measuredpath

Measuredpath
    Premium

Ratings:
    +21
    They have a 1440p monitor they released not very long ago. And you have 2 other options on the market for super ultra wides at 49' @1440p

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jens Roos

Jens Roos
    Premium

Ratings:
    +826
    When you set nvidia surround to use 7680x1440, Hz is limited to 120. Might be the same for 1080p.

Also, check your ports on your card so it have 3 displayports. HDMI will limit your Hz to 60Hz, there are newer versions that handles higher Hz but they only availble on one side (on card or monitor, don't remember) unless changed recently. Your nvidia surround hz will be set to the hz of the slowest port.

I run 3x1440p using overclocked 1080ti SLI on 144 gsync monitors, very solid 100fps with high settings on rF2, AC and AMS but some combination could for sure work at 120 but I see no difference at that Hz.

As a rule of thumb, SLI gain is in the range of 20-40%

Some are using borderless windowed mode to run without nvidia surround, but in my experince non fullscreen have a negative impact on performance.

Have not tried ACC, will wait untill proper triple support.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    • Love Love x 1
  14. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    Only 60Hz. :(

15. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info I think I wont go for an SLI, because its at least another 600$ extra so.

16. Jens Roos

Jens Roos
    Premium

Ratings:
    +826
    SLI have a few benefits and more drawbacks :(, it was not really my suggestion here but more some kind of information to indicate what performance you can expect running 1440p and a single 1080ti.

But if you aiming at 120hz, make sure you have the ports needed on your card. With SLI you can get away with a card with 2 x displayport as you have ports on both cards. My cards have 3 dp but I know there are a few with only 2.

17. The Thirty-first Tiger

The Thirty-first Tiger

Ratings:
    +2
    My card has 3x DP, but I decided I won't go for 1440p. I want at least 100Hz (stable). So my best options are 3x 1080 screens or the ultrawide from samsung.
    Thanks for the info!

18. MoodyB

MoodyB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +11
    Buy 1440p screens & run them at 1080 instead if your budget allows for it.

That way in the future you could just upgrade the GPU to one that's capable of triple 1440p@100hz.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.