10 reasons why rFactor 2 is a great racing sim

First of all let me say this:
This thread is not supposed to be some kind of "let's all blindly worship ISI and everything they do" thread. I have made this thread because I have begun working on a little project, which is a secret for now, for which I need your help here. The project will hopefully materialize within the next couple of months.

Bottom line is this:
I need each of you to post your 10 reasons why rFactor 2 is a great racing sim.

You can list whatever you like, and it will be your personal opinion. Don't hold back, you can mention anything you like.

Be it the physics, the graphics, Real Road, the yellow flowers along the country roads of Spa... Doesn't matter!
Anything that comes to mind.

The order in which you list those ten reasons doesn't matter too much, but if you like you can of course list the ten reasons in order of importance (to you).

I just need ten reasons from each of you. Of course you can mention the things you don't like as well, that's up to you, but at least give me ten reasons why rFactor 2 is a great racing sim, in your opinion and in your own words.

I hope you'll help me out! And i hope you'll enjoy the outcome, once work on my secret project is concluded. Thanks a bunch in advance. :thumbsup:

Who does not like discussing the merits of RF2, I know I do. In no particular order.

1) FFB/Steering feel. Unparalleled in sim racing. Even on my low end wheel.
2) Real Road.
3) Controller support is great and easy to set up.
4) The AI is done better than anyone else.
5) Tyre Physics are the most detailed.
6) Some of the cars available are my favorite sim cars ever (FR3.5, Toyota GTO, Skip barber,Stefan's Lola B12 & ASR Formula cars etc)
7) Graphics especially at dusk can be stunning after a few tweaks.
8) The sound's are right up there with the best.
9) Regular build updates that always improve some aspect noticeably.
10) Night and wet racing RF2 seems to be about the only sim doing this at the moment.

My only moan is that I want offline championships.

Last edited:
You will see some (ok nearly all as above since he nailed it, see if you can spot the changes)
1) FFB/Steering feel. Unparalleled in sim racing. Especially on my high end wheel.
2) Real Road.
3) Controller support is great and easy to set up.
4) The AI is done better than anyone else.
5) Tyre Physics are the most detailed.##, (edit) this can mean that in a stint long battle you do actually have to decide how and when to use up your tyres. Attack and use them up, save them to attack later or measure them out inch by inch.
6) Some of the cars available are my favorite sim cars ever (ISI Nissan GTR GT1, FR3.5, Formula ISI, Skip barber, Stefan's Lola B12 & ASR Formula cars etc).
7) The total immersion that comes when you are in deep in a battle that might last 2 hours.
8) The sound's are right up there with the best.
9)##The tyre modelling is so good that with set up and skill you can watch a driver pull away from you and then come back to you because he hasn't managed his tyres. Or manage a 1 stop when everyone else is doing a 2 stop. I love it.
10) Night (and wet racing with real world weather) RF2 seems to be about the only sim doing this at the moment.

Last edited:
1. Mature drivers (at least at RD, ISR and VHC where I spend my online time)
2. Great community (RD/ISR/VHC)
3. Very well organized online races (RD/ISR/VHC)
4. A to B option for hillclimb events
5. Real road
6. Server connection to real weather report
7. Driver swap
8. FFB gives me feeling I have car really connected to the track
9. I don´t like the fact, there is no serious support for triple screen
10. I don˙t like the fact, you can drive older and street cars without clutch use and shift without make any damage to gearbox. There also isn˙t any (weight or some other) penalty for using auto clutch, to make H shifter and paddle shifter guys equal at the starting line.

1. Mature drivers (at least at RD, ISR and VHC where I spend my online time)
2. Great community (RD/ISR/VHC)
3. Very well organized online races (RD/ISR/VHC)
4. A to B option for hillclimb events
5. Real road
6. Server connection to real weather report
7. Driver swap
8. FFB gives me feeling I have car really connected to the track
9. I don´t like the fact, there is no serious support for triple screen
10. I don˙t like the fact, you can drive older and street cars without clutch use and shift without make any damage to gearbox. There also isn˙t any (weight or some other) penalty for using auto clutch, to make H shifter and paddle shifter guys equal at the starting line.
I think you could achieve that by making auto-clutch pretty dreadfull and/or offer it as an upgrade only and add the weight. The currenty aid-penalties don't seem to work. For the ISI BOP cars I introduced Traction Control as an upgrade, which adds 40kg of weight. If you dont take the upgrade you can activate TC, but it doesn't do anything.
Not a nice way to do it, but would be a good option for a Historic leauge, but in general clutch modeling is not really there.

1. FFB/Steering.
  2. Real Road.
  3. AI
  4. Tire model & physics
  5. All day and night racing
  6. All weather racing (except snow and sandstorm)
  7. Sound
  8. Immersion
  9. Tracks and cars of high standards (Both ISI and modders work)
  10. Fast and simple enough UI (so that i can go straight into racing. I do not like "good looking, cool UI" with a lot of clicking here and there with long cuts with moving graphic like in F1 20xx or Dirt or....)

Clutch mechanics and graphics are the two thing AC do better. Otherwise nothing comes close to RF2.

1. Tire model & physics
  2. FFB/Steering feel. Unparalleled in sim racing. Especially on my DD servo wheel
  3. Real road, it add a challenge
  4. AI, the best imho, sometime i am not sure if a fight against AI or others drivers.
  5. Tracks and cars of high standards (Both ISI and modders work)
  6. All weather racing
  7. the automatic download / compatibility mod online
  8. there is no serious support for triple screen
  9. I don˙t like too the fact, you can drive older and street cars without clutch use and shift without make any damage to gearbox. There also isn˙t any (weight or some other) penalty for using auto clutch, to make H shifter and paddle shifter guys equal at the starting line.
  10. Some cars like Nissan GTR should have the steering wheel on the left.

1. The live tyre model, chassis flex and physics engine in general blow everything else out of the water.
2. FFB is the only sim that provides this much feel and usable force.
3. Devs consistently update functionality and place that as a priority before content.
4. Current car selection from ISI and future cars are all brilliant and very interesting areas to be simulating.
5. Tracks whilst not laser scanned do fall in to the bracket of most polished non laser scanned tracks available.
6. Real road... that is actually dynamic and not just pretending to be *cough* AC *cough*
7. Working changeable weather.
8. A vastly improved multiplayer compared to early versions with the ability to share both mods and liveries through the server as opposed to through a separate download.
9. Because rF2 is tricky to produce mods for only very committed 3rd party content producers work on new vehicles and tracks meaning that whilst rF2 gets comparatively small amounts of extra content compared to rF1, GSCE and AC. All the 3rd party content that rF2 is getting is of a very high quality (generally speaking).
10. Whilst there are innumerate other things that rF2 excels in at a coding level for example the evolving UI and general immersion factor that the sim provides. Number 10 is going to the Honda NSX-R... it is probably my favorite car to drive in sim racing.

@Gijs van Elderen please can we race the NSX-Rs at Silverstone national or something? Pretty please :) :inlove:

1. Tire model & physics
  2. FFB/Steering feel. Unparalleled in sim racing. Especially on my DD servo wheel
  3. Real road, it add a challenge
  4. AI, the best imho, sometime i am not sure if a fight against AI or others drivers.
  5. Tracks and cars of high standards (Both ISI and modders work)
  6. All weather racing
  7. the automatic download / compatibility mod online
  8. there is no serious support for triple screen
  9. I don˙t like too the fact, you can drive older and street cars without clutch use and shift without make any damage to gearbox. There also isn˙t any (weight or some other) penalty for using auto clutch, to make H shifter and paddle shifter guys equal at the starting line.
  10. Some cars like Nissan GTR should have the steering wheel on the left.

Hello there, is there a way to let me know what your json file includes for your DD wheel?
Since i changed my G25 for a custom dd servo wheel (mmos) i cant seem to get the desired results...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%