10 reasons gamers will love windows 10

I installed 10, and about an hour later I'm back on Windows 7. Stock Car Extreme wouldn't run, Assetto Corsa had horrid frame rates, NR2003 wouldn't run and a few of my other games wouldn't run either.

After reading that, how long do you think it will be before every dev has a thread"when are you going to dx12 , we want it now!!!!" :D".

For me, I'm not rushing to move to Windows 10, I think you have 1 year from release to move onto it for free if using Windows 7/8, let the software mature for a few months

For me, I'm not rushing to move to Windows 10, I think you have 1 year from release to move onto it for free if using Windows 7/8, let the software mature for a few months
I think we have until July of 2016 to do the upgrade for free. It certainly sounds like it has a lot of potential though. One of the things I like is the new browser.

Been running Windows 10 for the past 6 months, haven't had issues with any games, except some random broken builds :).

If you upgrade, be sure to update your drivers etc. The problems experienced usually lay with the user.

I can also think of 10 reasons not to upgrade too at the moment, many of which revolve around the telemetry, lack of immediate upgrade path to enterprise etc. (there's plenty of coverage of this if you Google it).

What I will say though from the specific gaming aspect. The builds I ran where a few months ago now and I had some issues with them in terms of day-to-day stability. Nothing which you would worry about in beta software but in terms of performance in games it was better in almost all titles that use DX10+ and significantly better in DX11 titles. This is particularly evident, or at least for me, in titles that use a lot of dynamic lighting and reflections, which I could run at higher levels across the board than I could with the same hardware under Windows 7.

Day 1 upgrade for me although i already know i will be cursing for days on end :)

I still alter Win7 to give me back the WinXP toolbar, quick launch and don't use the flashy graphic gimmicks that were introduced long ago (I also don't use tabs in my browser).
So it will basically require me to change my way to work with the PC from ground up :)

Hey guys,

This is an interesting discussion and I was wondering if anyone has anything to add since the last post back in August?

I've never really considered Windows 10 as I'm perfectly happy with W7 so if it aint broke... however I'm interested to hear Dave say he's getting better performance with the same hardware? Sooo million dollar question.. I only use my rig for sim racing and its currently on W7, should I upgrade to 10 and will it offer a performance advantage when racing?

I'm drive all the usual ones but with particular interest in rFactor 2 as I'm running in a league with it at the moment and anything I can do to improve visuals without FPS loss appeals greatly!

Cheers

I just upgraded to W10 a few days ago. All good. I will stick to W10.
What I have done BEFORE the Upgrade: Moved all steamgames to my second HD. Copied my documents-folder to the sec. one.
Installed W10. Than went to System Retore and wiped out my main HD, W10 puts a clean fresh install on that.
Then I installed Steam. DL direction in the settings to my sec. HD
Steam found all my games and only reinstalled a few files for each game.
Pasted my Doc-Folder back to the main Hd.

Now I have a clean install with all my games. Happy with that.
Remember:
Save ALL the content you would use like Text, pdf, personal files etc to a sec HD before you upgrade.

Cheers
Andrew

PS:
Windows 10 Games Compatibility List

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/a31335a8-730f-4ac9-8c19-7c8c3a664ced?auth=1
If you want to play a game on W10, that was running fine on older system, you will have no problem with that. If any problem show up on W10, all you have to do, is click right mouse on the game, select "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose your old system...

Well if for nothing else, the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire sometime this year, and after that you will need to pay for it. Support and updates for Windows 7 will expire long before Windows 10 does, so if for no other reason that to make sure you are supported as long as possible you should do the update and try it on, if for any reason you don't like it you can automagically revert to Windows 7 within the first 30 days, but you will still keep access to Windows 10 upgrade for free forever.
So NOT upgrading is a really bad move imo.
Just make sure you have everything you don't want to loose on another drive (or partition) than your OS, just in case you have to do a clean reinstall.

@Kjell Eilertsen
So far so good. But:
Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer inbetween 1 year, you can reinstall or perform a clean installation on the same device. You won’t need a product key to re-activate Windows 10 on the same hardware.

It has to be on the same hardware, because the Product-Key will be attached to your HARDWARE.
;)
Source:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq

I read through their stuff a few months back and if you have a retail version of 7/8 rather than an oem the license of your original software is allowed to moved to new computers as long as it is only ever installed on one machine. In those cases the upgrade is tied to your old license too so you may have to reinstall your old os first but you should still get to upgrade it over and over.

Using Win 10 about 3 months now no issues, got new PC last week dropped in my SSD did not reinstall just had to register with Microsoft. You can do it on the phone via a small app, just type in the new key code.

MS support you don't need to speak to anyone fully it's automated

The 26th?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
All that matters anyways is how long extended support lasts for an operating system. So the OS will still get hotfixes/bug fixes/security patches. Don't think I ever met anyone that actually called MS when Windows started acting up.

I guess if you have a smart phone, tablet, or any recent mobile device for that matter, the data collection that's going on in Win10 isn't anything new. But it's too much for me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 359 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%