10 Questions for David Pemberton

This is the best article that's been posted here for some time. Thank you Fat-Alfie for your impeccable mods and RD for recognising his achievements.

Now get that new track released while the attention is higher than usual.

As interesting as an interview with an anonymous middle-aged man gets. He's got kids, cleans the dishes and does the cooking. Next week: RD interviews that guy who mows your neighbour's lawn.

This is one of the most visited simracing websites in the world, can't you interview someone like Geoff Crammond or LFS member Valteri Bottas, instead of a househusband who's made three Assetto Corsa tracks? Talk about missing opportunities.

Last edited:

The-IC

Premium
Australia
As interesting as an interview with an anonymous middle-aged man gets. He's got kids, cleans the dishes and does the cooking. Next week: RD interviews that guy who mows your neighbour's lawn.

This is one of the most visited simracing websites in the world, can't you interview someone like Geoff Crammond or LFS member Valteri Bottas, instead of a househusband who's made three Assetto Corsa tracks? Talk about missing opportunities.

Yeah, and you can ask them the real important questions, like how much a sim is ruined by having a "Fasters" logo instead of a "Fosters" logo and carry on about it for several paragraphs :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, and you can ask them the real important questions, like how much a sim is ruined by having a "Fasters" logo instead of a "Fosters" logo and carry on about it for several paragraphs :rolleyes:
I stand by that. It ruins the realism in a glaring way. That's off topic here.

another great example of Impostor-syndrome-culture i've been ranting about yesterday.
Sad thing that such way of thinking is still a norm in a lot of professional societies.
Well, at least you haven't mentioned that without degree in 3d modelling you don't have moral right to upload your work, thanks for that... i guess :p

Last edited:

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium

Hmmm, just out of interest, how do you know that Geoff Crammond doesn't clean dishes or do the cooking? And, if he didn't, what would that say about him as a person? Are you sure you didn't post this just to provoke a reaction? Sure sure?

In any case, IMO you're not comparing apples with apples. I'm not aware of any current/recent releases from Mr Crammond (I haven't checked so apologies if I'm wrong) and as David mentioned in the interview, he has a few projects currently on the go. Geoff Crammond is a legend and I'm sure RD would love to get an interview with him, but I'm not sure It'd be a great fit with this new feature. Which BTW, if you read the comments, seems to be proving popular with RD members.

Anyway, I guess I'm OT so enough of that.

For my 2c I'm a big fan of this idea from Davide and a big fan of tracks made by Fat-Alfie. I found it fascinating to get some background on the guy who made them. I thought the questions were well thought out and I loved the way some of the answers were so well considered and honest. Well done guys, more like this please Davide. :thumbsup:

Chris Down

Premium
London, England

screenshot-2020-08-03-13.13.21.png

mantasisg

Premium
Lithuania
Thomson Road is my favorite from Fat-Alfie.

I like it because it feels real. In TR you have this oldskool gaming vibe, where you get really accountable for your own stupid mistakes. That track is politically incorrect, it doesn't care about your feelings. There are real challenges, real messed up races if you go into trees, if you mix up one blind turn with another or get a wrong angle when you take off for a jump after massive straight. Things like that.... things like that makes the brain cells work, produce adrenaline and whatnot, the heart pump and perception of time to slow down. Eventually you obtain great experience and level up from low LVL noob simracer to high LVL chad simracer. And thanks for all of this being virtual, in case of a failure there is no death, no injuries, no destroyed property. So why everythting is so sanitized even in simracing, why everything what kicks A** is being eliminated !

I want more experience like I used to have in Thomson Road plus (usually) classic cars. But I definitely understand that it is not a way to go and that I am a minority here. People wants stuff which does not interfere with "racing"... whatever that means.

So thats my positive message.

Nice to know a bit more about you.

Just last night I had a blast (again) on Deutschlandring in the Shelby Daytona.

It's a shame your tracks aren't used more online, it's allways very intense!

Last edited:

MrBraindown

Premium
Great article, I'm really looking to seeing how this series progresses, especially as you've started out with a real 'big hitter'.

Fat-Alfie's tracks are superb, they throb with authenticity and hum with detail. I never get bored driving them and I always seem to spot something new every time I take to the track - and I've lost count how many times I've crashed whilst trying to spot the same thing on the next lap!

I've had some of my more memorable racing moments on Thomson Road, I went pretty much a whole month racing on nothing else. Such an awesome circuit, I love the sight of the listing fences & ramshackle grandstands as you emerge (normally sideways) from Devils bend - it all looks so real, especially in VR.

Also, I'm really bad at learning tracks, so some of your longer circuits have always been a challenge. I once spent far too many evenings trying to learn Fonteny, it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had in sim-racing. (I'm still not convinced I ever managed to nail it though)

Anyway, in view of certain posts here, I'd really like to know one other thing: What is your go-to detergent brand when you're washing the dishes?

Fat-Alfie

Premium
Those are some lovely comments there, Brendan - thanks very much.

It took me a very long time to learn Fonteny, if that's any consolation. That was probably one of the hardest things about making that track - in the very early stages when I was trying to get the layout right, trying to work out if I'd crashed because the line of the road was wrong or simply because I forgot the bend was coming up, or because I'm pretty bad at racing :unsure:

Oh, and I use Tesco's own brand (lemon flavour) :thumbsup: