1 Ultrawide 34" 3440x1440 @ 100hz or three 27" 1080P monitors at 60hz

I currently race on a single 34" 3440x1440 display that is 100hz. This allows an effective frame rate of 100fps. I have three 27 inch monitors that are 1080P @ 60hz giving a max of 60fps. Due to the setup I am using the 27" monitors on this is not an easy change out to test to see if the 60fps will be noticeable, or if the extra real estate is worth the fps loss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Basically is the extra screen real estate worth the reduced FPS?

I currently race on a single 34" 3440x1440 display that is 100hz. This allows an effective frame rate of 100fps. I have three 27 inch monitors that are 1080P @ 60hz giving a max of 60fps. Due to the setup I am using the 27" monitors on this is not an easy change out to test to see if the 60fps will be noticeable, or if the extra real estate is worth the fps loss. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Basically is the extra screen real estate worth the reduced FPS?
100% I would say so yes,

I went from triple 24 to triple 32 ultrawide and the immersion is like night and day difference,

I did the same 5 years back went from triple 24 to triple 32tv,s but these ultrawide are much more immersive I feel,
Total span around 2.2 meters so can really get the settings just nice onscreen,

been tempted quite a few times with the single screen but it’s kinda put your money where your mouth is I had the choice but still ended up using the triples again,

with Nvidia there surround is nonsense so end up using display fusion just to get the task bar back in the centre of my screens in which I use for work also,
It’s just a constant hassle + all the extra cables in which obviously are more expensive + the clutter of the screen mounts and such

I still feel it’s worth the extra hassle of it all specially once you are ingame and turn the key,

best off selling the 27 inch triples and buy 2 more 34 inch ultrawide it’s a game changer for the 1 extra screen width to what you have now I wouldn’t even bother with it.

Upvote 0

What kind of GPU do you have? Anything less than a 2080 Ti is going to get seriously crushed by triples.

Upvote 0
I came from 3 x 27" 1080p screens to a 49" ultrawide 1080p @144hz and it's awesome.

The immersion is so much better with no bezels , you don't realise how much they break up the image and destroy the immersion until they are gone.

I even had a HP reverb VR headset and ended up selling it as i still prefered my 49" ultrawide , you can't beat it.

I will always prefer 1 single large screen than multiple screens because of the bezels , they really mess with the wholeness of the picture and immersion.

Upvote 0
I came from 3 x 27" 1080p screens to a 49" ultrawide 1080p @144hz and it's awesome.

The immersion is so much better with no bezels , you don't realise how much they break up the image and destroy the immersion until they are gone.

I even had a HP reverb VR headset and ended up selling it as i still prefered my 49" ultrawide , you can't beat it.

I will always prefer 1 single large screen than multiple screens because of the bezels , they really mess with the wholeness of the picture and immersion.
Yeah maybe if your screens are small you’ll really notice them,
I think 1 of my screens is like 780mm wide the bezels live in another area code :D

Upvote 0
Have you got a photo? Would love to see it.
I have this one from when I 1st added them a few months back,
E0DD6663-1735-43C0-A822-A185FDBA44BD.jpeg

I designed my own rig using Aluminium profile and had it all custom powder coated with a custom RAL Metallic blend like a pearl silver it’s all sat boxed in the bedroom I purchased a DD2 and a bracket to mount it like 5/6 weeks back but it’s not arrived yet so can’t build it all,
39853B4E-AB8F-44D8-A1A0-5C36EF563535.png

but hopefully soon will look something similar to this it’s all mm scale,
Triple Samsung 32 inch curved ultrawide.

Upvote 0
What kind of GPU do you have? Anything less than a 2080 Ti is going to get seriously crushed by triples.
Pixel count should be less than a single 4K which I can push fine with my 5700XT.

1920x1080=2,073,600 x 3 = 6,220,8000
3840x2160 = 8,294,400

However, a 2080TI would be great, but .... $$$

Upvote 0

I spoke to the wife about the 49" super ultra wide the other day. She asked how much do they cost. At that point I knew the answer :). I have the 3 1080P monitors. They are not all exactly the same. I have 2 that are the same with ultra thin bezels, and one 4K that I can set to 1080 that has thin bezels. These monitors are being used for something else right now, but I can make some changes to make the monitors dual purpose. I just need 2 HDMI switches and another DP to HDMI cable (or adaptor) which is about $30 total.

One other thing to note. I have gotten used to Freesync with my 34" ultrawide and almost no screen tear. 2 of the 3 1080p monitors do have Freesync, but one does not, so would not be able to benefit. Not sure if that is an issue with racing sims, but with FPS it is a world of difference.

Upvote 0
i have the 32:9 aspect ratio samsung 49" its awesome just alot of pixels to run on f1 2019 my rtx 2080 gets pretty hot on medium settings and on i racing i have it almost to max settings ( i also run a second data monitor so its the same as 3 monitors in pixels) at 1080 i try and get my max 144 but i have to turn settings down a bit( i love having settings turned up with heat haze and all that good stuff!!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i have the 32:9 aspect ratio samsung 49" its awesome just alot of pixels to run on f1 2019 it gets pretty hot on medium settings and on i racing i have it almost to max settings ( i also run a second data monitor so its the same as 3 monitors in pixels) at 1080 i try and get my max 144 but i have to turn settings down a bit( i love having settings turned up with heat haze and all that good stuff!!)

I think I am going to start saving up for the Samsung 49" super ultrawide 1440. I hooked up three 1080p monitors today, and raced with ACC and PC2.

Went from:
One 3440x1440 @ 100hz with Freesync as the main monitor
One 4K monitor used for SimHub etc while driving.

Went to:
Three 1920x1080 @ 60hz no freesync.

I didn't realize going from 100hz freesync to 60hz no freesync would be so noticeable. There was some screen tearing and a noticeable lack of general smoothness when driving the car. I enabled vsync which helped with screen tearing, but the smoothness still just wasn't there. I turned on MSI afterburner and my FPS was fine. BTW...ACC had screen flicker in the trees and horizon when running 3 monitors. Ran fine other than that, but could drive a person crazy. PC2 had no such issue.

I then put this through the wife test. I showed her the 3 monitor setup, and she thought it looked nice. I then switched over to the 34" Ultrawide, which was a 4th monitor on the system so just switched it to the primary monitor. My wife noticed the smoothness difference immediately. She thought the other fine until she had something to compare it to.

I guess at some point I am just going to have to pony up the money for that 49" :( and :).

Upvote 0
I didn't realize going from 100hz freesync to 60hz no freesync would be so noticeable. There was some screen tearing and a noticeable lack of general smoothness when driving the car. I enabled vsync which helped with screen tearing, but the smoothness still just wasn't there. I turned on MSI afterburner and my FPS was fine. BTW...ACC had screen flicker in the trees and horizon when running 3 monitors. Ran fine other than that, but could drive a person crazy. PC2 had no such issue.
That's a shame. Given that you've already got Afterburner installed, you might as well see if things feel better with RTSS scanline sync (set to -1 for example) active. (This requires vsync to be off, but it still prevents tearing while achieving lower input lag and hopefully more stable frame timing.)

Glad to see you already have your wife on side with the saving up concept ;)

Upvote 0

For me its the exact opposite reaction ;)

I changed from a 42" TV to 3x 27"144hz IPS panels.

The immersion is SOO much better, my countersteering reflexes i developed in real life showed up for the first time in a sim.
Must be the peripheral vision, i didnt have them on the flat screen.

Another big advantage is said peripheral vision when racing midpack.
I "know" where the other cars are, the " moving target red arrows" dont work as well by a long shot.

IF you can manage you should give it another try in your favorite sourroundings.
If you just do hotlaps ultrawide could be ok, though i would miss the view through the sidewindow to the next apex.

When racing ultrawide would hide half of the other cars AND your mirrors.

I drive my 1080p screens with a rx5700xt at 85hz ( 20 AI cars at Calabogie) to 120hz ( hotlapping at zandvoort.

Upvote 0
That's wrong you can't compare normal tv to a 49" curved ultrawide monitor , it's equivalent to 2 x 27" screens.
When i was on iracing and with the correct FOV i could see both my mirrors (open wheelers) and could fully see all apexes and cars beside me in close racing.

Upvote 0
I have raced on a 40´TV, normal 23 to 27 inch monitors triple 24´s and a 34´ultrawide.
My ideal setup was 27´1440p 144hz not futher then 60cm from my eyes which is what I am using now.
I think that is the sweet spot ! If I was to go bigger I want 40´ monitors and have them behind the wheel at say 80cm or so from my eyes. But will be some time for we see 40´monitors or bigger with specs like the 27´have today.

Upvote 0
I have raced on a 40´TV, normal 23 to 27 inch monitors triple 24´s and a 34´ultrawide.
My ideal setup was 27´1440p 144hz not futher then 60cm from my eyes which is what I am using now.
I think that is the sweet spot ! If I was to go bigger I want 40´ monitors and have them behind the wheel at say 80cm or so from my eyes. But will be some time for we see 40´monitors or bigger with specs like the 27´have today.

how come the preference of a 27 over a 34 ultra wide? It’s the same height?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years