1.3 AI issues

From the video description:

Assetto Corsa version 1.3 with Dreampack #1 and #2, fresh install, no 3rd party mods installed.

Opponent strength = 100%
Track surface = optimum

This is what I was able to observe/capture during 1 hour of gameplay with a handful of different car/track combinations.

00:03 – AI piling up before Eau Rouge for no apparent reason, AI not registering speed differences, AI not taking avoiding action, AI falling through the world.
00:22 – A lot of AI cars running on the grass instead of on the track, AI not registering walls/barriers and hitting them, AI not taking avoiding action to avoid hitting other slower cars, AI not able to brake after the car has broken down, AI falling through the world.
00:48 – AI rear ending other car, continues to race with the other car on top of it, the lifted AI is sent back to the pits and immediately races straight into the pit wall.
00:57 – Yellow AI car rear ends blue AI car, with no concern at all for the difference in speed. Yellow car races on as if nothing happened. Another AI behind doesn’t register the blue car is stationary and slams into it. The blue car’s physics go haywire, then it’s hit by another AI, and it almost falls through the world too.
01:30 – AI cars running off the track en masse, total disregard of the appropriate speed for that particular corner.
01:42 – Same thing, total disregard of appropriate speed.
01:49 – Same thing, only much worse, AI cars crashing even before the actual corner.
01:56 – AI car running off the track for no reason at all, then rejoins unsafely and gets hit by two AI cars. Again, they don’t even register the difference in speed and take close to no avoiding action.
02:06 – The typical pile-up before Eau Rouge. The AI is still unable to drive around stationary cars. It just sits and waits for the stationary cars to be moved off the track.
02:30 – Car clipping through the track surface and then sliding on its side in an unrealistic manner.
02:40 – AI car stopping on track for no reason at all. Then gets hit by another car which again takes no avoiding action or heed the yellow flags.
02:50 – Another nonsensical AI contact before Eau Rouge.
02:57 – This time the RUF AI stops on track for no reason at all. Other AI lacks logic to drive around the stationary car properly. Another big crash ensues.
03:08 – An AI car suddenly locks all four wheels and momentarily loses drive, goes off into the gravel, and rejoins the track in an unsafe manner. Another AI hits the first car, then another, and then another. Many AI cars drive off the track, plowing through the gravel.
03:39 – CPU 99% occupancy bug. Multiple AI cars swerving dangerously, which sends me into a spin and another AI then rams me into the barriers.
03:50 – Restart the race, AI still swerving and sends me into the barrier once more.
03:59 – AI cars running into each other, rejoining unsafely, overtaking on the grass and bumping into each other on straights.
04:28 – Me hanging back, observing some quite absurd AI behavior.
04:53 – AI smashing into the barrier for no reason, suspension physics going haywire, big crash.
05:08 – Another clip of the absurd AI behavior on Nordschleife
05:17 – Me hanging back, observing some more bizarre AI behavior. This time an AI keeps rear ending and pushing another AI car along the track, until one of them finally goes off into the barrier. The yellow AI car starts racing on the grass instead of on the track. After that, another AI plows into the yellow car.
06:16 – Multiple AI going off the track and ramming into each other.
06:24 – More absurd AI behavior, plowing into each other.
06:30 – AI running off the track and rejoining unsafely.
06:40 – More absurd AI ramming into each other.
06:46 – AI stopping on track before Eau Rouge, again.
07:03 – AI swerving, ramming each other and me, stopping on track, ramming each other some more, and lack the logic to drive around stopped cars on track.
07:32 – Most of the AI cars go off in the corner, some DNF’ing.
07:40 – AI cars slide all over the track, hitting the barriers and each other, causing a traffic jam. Yet again, the AI can’t figure out how to drive around stopped cars.
07:54 – Same story as above, insane driving causing DNF’s and traffic jams due to lack of logic.
08:07 – Another instance of the same problem, third time in one race.
08:17 – AI losing control under braking, then swerving wildly to defend, defending on the grass, ramming.
08:32 – AI making a mess ending up on top of each other.
08:44 – AI plowing into another AI, ramming it off the road.
08:51 – AI completely miscalculating the available grip, ramming the outside barrier, stopping on track.

Hey hex I'm confused. You go in to so much detail how you don't like ac and how it's not rf2.

So how comes you still ended up buying dlc #2?

Why bother?

Maybe he was hoping the 1.3 update was going to solve the AI issue, but it didn't, at least not for him. Personally I love the new 1.3 update. I actually enjoy racing in AC now since 1.3.

The question I have is, if he hates AC so much and preaches rF2, why doesn't he just uninstall AC and commit fully to rFactor...

The question I have is, if he hates AC so much and preaches rF2, why doesn't he just uninstall AC and commit fully to rFactor...
AI problems followed him like an albatross around his neck, is my guess. Unless that video of the AI all crashing in Bathurst was just a dream... Cause TBH if you have trouble with AI in one sim, you're gonna see the same trouble in any other sim. They're not smarter, just driving different devs' ideas of the 'best line'.

AI problems followed him like an albatross around his neck, is my guess. Unless that video of the AI all crashing in Bathurst was just a dream... Cause TBH if you have trouble with AI in one sim, you're gonna see the same trouble in any other sim. They're not smarter, just driving different devs' ideas of the 'best line'.
not true :) in lot of cases it is not about smarter/dumber AI .. problem is often awardness ... while in pCars or some arcades like GRID Autosport AI has little to none awarndess of your presense and will just follow its predistinated ideal line (example is going side by side in long straight, you have outside line, AI inside, AI wants outside line so it will just take it, ignoring fact that for last 15 seconds you are there at his side)
So while in some sims I have no problems running with AI, following my line or outbraking them, in others it is mostly about predicting where AI will go and avoiding that line .. and I`m not talking about dive bombing or not giving them racing space .. if you treat AI like decent human players you don`t have much issues with solid AI...
So while I have very little issues in GTR Evo, GSC, R3E, if I try to drive the same way in pC or AC it wouldn`t be nice experience ..

I haven't had problems with that since AC 1.2, they could definitely get more aggressive but they never run into me if I'm driving in a way that leaves them room.
oh no AC AI has other issues at this mmnt ... agressiveness is not one of them .. that was for pC... in AC AI has spots where it goes wide and you can avoid them if you know where.
My reaction was more in general way to your comment that if you have issues with AI in one sim, it will follow you to other sims .. which is in my experiences not true ..

lol @2:30

How is the AI at other tracks that aren't nordschleife and spa, and with lower powered cars, like street cars?

I included that in the video as well.

As you'll see, the GT3 cars also have big issues, in this example at Zandvoort, running wide and hitting the outside barrier at various places on the track, before coming to a stop, often on the racing line.

You'll also see RUFs bunching up, racing out of control on the grass, stopping on track for no reason. You'll also see it sliding on its side, pretty much defying the laws of physics.

Nissans are locking up all the time, swerving wildly and running unto the grass, causing havoc.

However the video mainly consists of high powered racing cars and tracks that interests me the most. This is the content I expected to be able to race without problems at this point.

I included that in the video as well.

As you'll see, the GT3 cars also have big issues, in this example at Zandvoort, running wide and hitting the outside barrier at various places on the track, before coming to a stop, often on the racing line.

You'll also see RUFs bunching up, racing out of control on the grass, stopping on track for no reason. You'll also see it sliding on its side, pretty much defying the laws of physics.

Nissans are locking up all the time, swerving wildly and running unto the grass, causing havoc.

However the video mainly consists of high powered racing cars and tracks that interests me the most. This is the content I expected to be able to race without problems at this point.
You can race it without problems, online in our club. Request it and they will come, see how you fare :).

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 193 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.7%