0.8.5 Update

I'm wondering if when a car resets it's actually being re-spawned - like it does at the beginning of the session and that's why you get a spike in processor load. One of the things I don't like about AC is the amount of time it takes for a session to start (load time) and I'm hoping this gets addressed by the 1.0 release

Do you mean loading the cars before you're in the pits or the time it takes sitting in the pits waiting for the pit lights to start? I would imagine the cars loading before the pits is very much tied to your hard drive performance.

Do you mean loading the cars before you're in the pits or the time it takes sitting in the pits waiting for the pit lights to start? I would imagine the cars loading before the pits is very much tied to your hard drive performance.

No I mean the time it takes to load the actual session. The window that shows you what's loading as the sim populates the session with the track, time and number and type of vehicles you've chosen.

No I mean the time it takes to load the actual session. The window that shows you what's loading as the sim populates the session with the track, time and number and type of vehicles you've chosen.

Right, that's what I was talking about, the loading screen before you're in the pits waiting for the race to start. That is very likely going to be determined by your hard drive speed. I would imagine an SSD would be much quicker, but haven't tested that myself. I have noticed that its always slower when you load up a fresh race, new set of cars and/or track compared to loading the same race more than once. If you load the same race back to back it seems to load much faster, my guess is that its because of a cache probably in system memory.

If you look in the AC logs you can see it's attempting to read from cache and failing a lot the first time you run the game. I assume it also uses the cache to duplicate less textures/geometry when it loads the same car a bunch.

If its using system memory for cache, then its plausible to gain loading performance with more system memory and faster speed memory. I use 16GB of 2133MHz memory in mine, maybe that's why I see a big load screen boost after the first race.

One of the things I don't like about AC is the amount of time it takes for a session to start (load time) and I'm hoping this gets addressed by the 1.0 release

I wouldn't get my hopes up to much, to me it looks like pretty good already... For a practice session without AI I barely see the loading screen (SSD of course), sure with 20+ AI cars it takes a bit longer but still pretty fast (as in couple seconds)...

I wouldn't get my hopes up to much, to me it looks like pretty good already... For a practice session without AI I barely see the loading screen (SSD of course), sure with 20+ AI cars it takes a bit longer but still pretty fast (as in couple seconds)...

Yea, I figured an SSD would help considerably. My boot drive is a 128gb SSD but I only use it for my OS and other programs. I keep all of my games on a 1TB 7200rpm hard drive so I haven't tested AC on an SSD.

I have 2 SSD's - one for OS and work programs, another just for games. Then I have one HDD for data and one for data backup. Load times for AC are pretty fast IMO, rF2 is one of the slowest games to load assets.

Update on the stuttering when the ai reset in the pits:

I installed amd 14.4 drivers yesterday (on 14.1 previously) and I had no stutter at all.

So either there was a small update I missed or the new drivers have sorted it.

In case any rf2'ers are reading this,14.4 is amazing for rFactor2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back