€2.5k budget for a motion rig - what should I do

Hi
I saw the DOF Reality Consumer H3 (3 Axis) moton rig which sells for under €2k. I hadn't thought such a thing was possible so hadn't really loooked into motion rigs. I quickly checked out reviews for it, and they seem positive - what I've found so far, at least.

So I'm now very much hoping to get myself a moton rig. I'll need a seat to go with it too, I guess.

Please... let me know what I should do. Should I get that DOF Reality motion rig? Or should I take my €2.5k and spend it on something else, some other motion rig type thing? A seat mover, simply? I still don't know much about these things.

(BTW, I have already budgetted for the kids' education)

I would go for a SFX-100. I have one.

However, i only use it for demo and fun. For real racing i have it off.
Thanks for the tip. Does the SFX-100 do traction loss (AKA 'yaw')?

Thing is I don't see how I'm gonna free up that much time to build an SFX-100. And the budget, i think, comes in at about €2k or so which is not a lot less than the DOF Reality H3 anyway.

If I was unemployed, I'd happily put the time into building an SFX-100. But if I was unemployed, I might be thinking about spending my money otherwise....

Upvote 0
For anyone thinking about going for sfx100, I built one, and not too long after I had ordered all my parts found out that you can simply get profile and screw nuts that are 50mm longer, and have a 150mm stroke (or 100mm longer, and 200mm stroke etc) that will work with the thanos controller. I wish I would have done that.. racing is great at 100mm (and with thanos controller plus stock design you can actually do 110mm), but then I've found rally, and roller coasters (no limits 2) and thinking about trying flying games etc.. bottom line.. spend the extra $100 on more stroke just because you can, would be my recommendation!!

Upvote 0
For anyone thinking about going for sfx100, I built one, and not too long after I had ordered all my parts found out that you can simply get profile and screw nuts that are 50mm longer, and have a 150mm stroke (or 100mm longer, and 200mm stroke etc) that will work with the thanos controller. I wish I would have done that.. racing is great at 100mm (and with thanos controller plus stock design you can actually do 110mm), but then I've found rally, and roller coasters (no limits 2) and thinking about trying flying games etc.. bottom line.. spend the extra $100 on more stroke just because you can, would be my recommendation!!

I assume the hallow shaft needs extending as well? So if I want to add 50mm more travel, that's an extra 50mm for the profile, hallow shaft and ball screw and the rest is the same, right?

Upvote 0
I bought The Compact-R seat mover by NJMotion some months ago and I'm very very happy. It's 2400€, so it's in your budget. It's very easy to install and setup, apart from extraordinary well made and also silent. Everything is ready to play and can be installed with no modifications to your rig in most cases. The experience is very funny, inmersive and exciting. After many hours racing with and without motion, I'm sure now I drive better than before without motion. I'm using it with VR. It also helps with motion sickness, although I have never experienced such a problem with sims, but with the roller coaster simulator it's easy to notice how it deceives your brain. Maybe if you use monitor or monitors, a seat mover may not be the best idea compared to a full-motion setup, but with VR it's fantastic. I was also worried about the seat moving alone with respect the steering wheel and the pedals, but after a few hours if feels very natural, at least with VR.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 322 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 222 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years