‘When’ Would You Time Travel to?

If it were even possible to select a specific date, time and place, and ignoring all the paradox's and possible changes in the present day due to going back, I'd go back to 1970 at the Le Mans 24hrs.

I'd put a bet on the 23 Porsche Salzburg team car winning, collect my winnings, open a deposit account in a Swiss bank, then come back to the present day and be very very rich, probably...

As there are so many people saving drivers' lifes, I would go back to 1st May, 1985, and burn down the three official Lancia 037 and recce cars, then wait to 30th April, 1986, and do the same to the Deltas, and back to the future.

we already know what happened in the past, so i vote into the future!
A lot of History is here say and a persons view over another. Seeing it first had would tell you if old people are aware of what actually happened or sugar coated it with lies to make it seem bigger than it was. Seeing is believing.

San Marino 1994, basically lock Senna and Ratzenberger in their respective hotel rooms and then dig up part of the circuit so no racing could happen, that would cause enough chaos for the race to be cancelled...

And then back to May 1986 and lock Toivonen and Cresto in their hotel rooms and make sure they couldnt turn up for the Corsican Rally....

Imagine if you had the chance to drive your own modified DeLorean DMC-12 to travel anytime in the past and watch a specific event or race in the history of the motorsport.
I'd go back to 1968 and the Oulton Park Gold Cup where, as a kid of about 13 and the track being my 'local', I got every driver's autograph (at a time when they wrote more than their name; i.e. "best wishes to... " etc), you can check out their names here :p https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/database/races/1968-oulton-park-gold-cup Sheesh, you could walk up to these guys whilst they were sat near their transporter, fighting off the ladies, and they still had the time of day and genuine smile for all of us.

From there I'd go forward, to stop my ex missus throwing away those autographs, Karting trophies, racing leathers, crash helmets and everything else that I cherished.:roflmao:

....meanderings of an old fart I guess:p

Those were the days man, lucky you!
Thanks Davide, and a great idea for a forum post too:)

Funny though, yes, it was a great time 'cos spectators were allowed virtually anywhere, although (maybe?) because you could get so close to drivers if something bad happened you really felt it. We saw too many great guys lose their lives, felt like every month in the mid - late 60's. :(

Thanks Davide, and a great idea for a forum post too:)

Funny though, yes, it was a great time 'cos spectators were allowed virtually anywhere, although (maybe?) because you could get so close to drivers if something bad happened you really felt it. We saw too many great guys lose their lives, felt like every month in the mid - late 60's. :(

Yeah I totally get it. Many now think that the F1 and the motorsport in general has lost interest because drivers do not risk their life anymore (along other things), while on the contrary that is one of the very few good things the sport now has. Watching a race and thinking that someone among your heroes can have a serious accident is incredibly nerve racking and painful. It is not fun at all.. It is a blessing to be able to watch a motorsport race and not worry about anyone's life being danger like we do now, but focus just on the racing. Unfortunately some deaths still occur from time to time though :(

Last edited:
I'll go back to 1950 and be the one that makes Formula 1 safety in that period from 1950 to 1955 to avoid all the deaths until today in Formula 1 cars, to make it like 2018 the fastest posible, crash at 300km/h = get out of the vehicle walking (of course, deaths because of no security, there are some crashes you can't avoid..)
And i'll take a selfie with Francois Cevert in 70's, after that i'll write Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and all the Marvel **** to make me rich.
sorry about the english.

It appears many posters have got the wrong idea entirely. I believe the original question was what race you'd watch in person, not which race you'd change the outcome of and certainly not what you'd do if given a time machine to do whatever you wanted.

To answer the first question, the 1989 24 Hours of Le Mans. Such an iconic race that reignited the rivalry that both Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz left behind in 1955. I'd watch the start from the stands near the first gravel trap, so I could see everything from the lead straight to the Dunlop Curve. Then as dusk fell I'd make my way to Hunaudières and film some of the cars as they blew by me from the safety of the guard rail. At night I'd rest up for a few hours, before returning to the Mulsanne at daybreak. Then for the last few hours I'd go to the stands on the main straight to witness the victory of the #63 Sauber.

If the question was the second of the three, I only have one answer: the qualifying session of the 1982 German Grand Prix. I'd tell Pironi he'd done enough (almost a second over Prost in 2nd) and from there, unless he died at the race or Ferrari suddenly lost pace, there is zero doubt in my mind he would've been 1982 champion, and potentially one of the all-time greats.

And if it was the third, I'd take the Marty McFly approach of bringing a book filled with race results and then betting ridiculous sums on what actually happened in countries as far removed from the host nation as possible. I'd ideally start around the 70s so I could earn enough money to have my way with Groups B and C, maybe toy around with Turbo-era F1 too.

It appears many posters have got the wrong idea entirely. I believe the original question was what race you'd watch in person, not which race you'd change the outcome of and certainly not what you'd do if given a time machine to do whatever you wanted.

Yeah, the question was exactly that. Which race would you see (just see), and would you stay in the past to watch another one or be content with just one time travel. No changes, no heroic savings, no time paradoxes, no lottery wins :roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:
No race specifically ( ok, let's pick one because I was asked to - 1956 Le Mans ) but I'd stay. Who knows, my presence there could mean different things happened even when I'm not directly involved. Even if it didn't, there'd be so many wonderful things to experience.

I'd rather go into the future. See some holographic flying cars race to Saturn. The 2525 interplanetary gran prix.

In the year 2525...

Last edited:
late 50's,mid 60's, any country, any event :)

f7bdc301287d7f687b0b36537d36396e.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years