Z4 GT3: Medium Tires=Faster?

Hi all,

I was practicing Nurburgring GP on the default setup (except with the gearing changed) this afternoon and could consistently do 2:00 or low 2:01. But as soon as I switched to Softs the back end felt LESS grippy. Especially on exit, the car just felt more tail-happy on throttle in general. I started doing laps around 2:03, and that was when I didn't spin out... Is this normal? Any tips as to changing the setup?

ABS factory, TC off, track condition optimum, and yes I did remember turn off tire wear.

Sam

Hi all,

I was practicing Nurburgring GP on the default setup (except with the gearing changed) this afternoon and could consistently do 2:00 or low 2:01. But as soon as I switched to Softs the back end felt LESS grippy. Especially on exit, the car just felt more tail-happy on throttle in general. I started doing laps around 2:03, and that was when I didn't spin out... Is this normal? Any tips as to changing the setup?

ABS factory, TC off, track condition optimum, and yes I did remember turn off tire wear.

Sam

The BIB explains why the softs were less grippy, turn wear on and try again.

It all depends on your setup + ambient temperature. If it is a warm day at SPA for example, the teams all use meds to hards in real life...a few years ago, SPA was a blistering 40 degrees at the start of the race! Tyre temps in their optimum range will provide the best performance, along with tyre management. The last issue is very important, as a smooth and even driving style will allow the tyres to not only maintain correct temp, but have enough temp during slow corners to vastly improve your laptimes.

I did a little experiment where I drove somewhat carefree around Imola not watching my tyre temps, and I found that my times were 2 seconds slower than when I paid attention to my driving style and smoothed my steering. I had significantly more temp in the tyres for slow corners and masses of grip in the chicanes. There is a reason the drivers in the car cam videos steer so fluidly IMHO, it's to preserve tyre heat and wear.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 142 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%