Your views: In car or bonnet cam?

I realise that on certain sim forums this could get flamed, but as Assetto Corsa gives the option to race from different view points I'm quite interested to know others thoughts about this.

I spent quite a few hours over the weekend trying out AC, fiddled around with different FOVs and seat positions of the in car viewpoint, and set a few lap times, having great fun doing so... However, last night I was driving the Ferrari around the Vallelunga circuit and tried out the bonnet cam. After one lap I knocked a whole second off my previous best lap time.

So I loaded up the other tracks, same car, and again was about a second quicker in all of them. Tried out the KTM - a second quicker. And the Lotus Exige - again pretty much a second quicker. I wasn't any quicker with this view in the Tatuus or Lotus 49 though.

Has anyone else found they drive the tin tops faster from the bonnet cam? Anyone else tried the bonnet cam?! Perhaps most importantly when multiplayer comes online, are people going to have a problem with others using a view other than the in car one?

I use the hood cam to make up for not being able to turn my head, playing the game through the small window, etc. If I had an Oculus Rift or 3 screen setup it'd be easier to settle into the cockpit view.

I haven't tried AC (only the TP) but if I can't see both front corners of the car (or at least how far they are) I can't really expect to put the car where I want it, just have to guess at how close the tires actually are to the edge of the track and slowly improve that.

The hood's still a first person view, it's just starting a little farther forward. The monitor's set about 20 inches back from the wheel, so really none of the dashboard would be visible if it was showing what you'd actually see through a window at that distance.

I usually use bonnet view, but in AC the bonnet view just sucks. The sound in the cockpit is way better and im really missing the look to apex. But im happy it forces to race cockpit now, it is a sim after all. I am struggling with seeing apexes in the BMW GT2 from the cockpit though so thats a downside

I remember accidently putting the servers to cockpit view only, and there were a few complaints in practice as guys entered the room, even guys who say they use cockpit view complained , but not for them of course, there thinking of the other guy, :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:.

Id rather race with a full grid than half a grid even if they're on Bonnet, bumper or parachute view,
to me its all about what you want to drive, the problem with other views is they don't see you at the side of them, because they sit that high up and close to the screen in cockpit view they might as well be on the bonnet.. and then the cars around them and not visible.
This might be the sim that converts more guys to cockpit view time will only tell,
But i feel as lap times seem to rule once there online they will go with what makes them the quickest.. realism will go out the window for the sake of
lap times..

Last edited:
Cockpit view definitely. For some reason, whenever i have tested.. i never ever seem to get even remotely the level of car control in any other views. For some reason, the bonnet cam feels bit unnatural, and i cannot get a feel for how the car is placed.. bumber cam is even worse. I guess it comes down to what you are used to. Oddly enough i have no trouble using a bonnet cam in arcade games with my gamepad, whenever playing on the consoles. Lately i have started to play around with different FOV settings also. I have only a 24" inch monitor for simracing, i am quite close to it though.. and have settled for 40 degree fov. Improves the drivign experience hugely after a while, with the expense of feel of speed. Definitely need to put 2 more monitors on the shopping list to get some of that back, and of course for better awareness of the surroundings.. I do have a 42" as my main monitor though.. bit tempted to move that to my cockpit.. but i reckon a 3 screen setup would be better.

There are a few reasons for Hood cam and one of them is having a small monitor with 1280/1024 resolution wich is to small to use the cockpit and feel extremly good with it.
With cockpit view on a small monitor you actualy dont see much of the road ahead
This is a perfect example of how great it is with 3 monitors setup
7923784160_9d07790847_c.jpg

So if we cut the other 2 monitors we will have this

7923784160_9d07790847_ccopy_zpse62755bf.jpg

And if we cut the 16:9 to 4:3 for those with 1280/1024 resolution we got this

7923784160_9d07790847_csdf_zpsa5370acd.jpg

Now this si what i see on my 4:3 monitor at 1280/1024 resolution
ScreenShot041_zpsadd4bd0f.jpg

There is not so much informatioin on this litle monitor so yes sometime i use Hood or Bonet cam to have a bettre view of the track.
When i will own a better and much BIGGER monitor i will definitely drive with cockpit view,no question about it,not to mention if i have a triple screen setup...thats a dream at this time :)

acs%202013-11-12%2012-07-42-33.png
acs%202013-11-12%2012-07-45-47.png
acs%202013-11-12%2012-08-28-39.png
acs%202013-11-12%2012-08-41-87.png

1920 x180 single screen
looks ok to me in cockpit view plus i get to see what's behind me and to the side with a quick look to a side view...
I can race in single or triple but will always use cockpit, don't care about the lap times..
but i will admit my triple screen is a mind blower 5760 x1080 120hz and still getting over 170 fps
acs%202013-11-12%2012-41-47-07.png

acs%202013-11-12%2012-41-58-46.png

Mind you i do feel sorry for the flag man, his feet stuck in the concrete,,,
i hope i don't over shoot the pit box, they will be calling him stumpy

Last edited:
There is the option right now.
You can turn Virtual mirrors ON at any time...
I dont use it because for hotlaping is no point in this...
I do hope i can do something and get myself a new wide monitor....at least only one since its just huge amount of money to by 3 of those...god damn....i`ll sell one kidney verry soon,i can feel it :laugh:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back