Your Stewardship is needed, who is at fault here?

Please take a look at this short video and give your opinion on it. Who is at fault? Comments? Thank you.
[video=youtube_share;dz3D-n2Hcas]http://youtu.be/dz3D-n2Hcas[/video]

Personally I don't think one angle tells the whole story.

If I had to make a call on that one clip, I would say it was a racing incident with no one at fault. It could easily be construed that the black car did not see the blue/white car, and moved into the racing line while the blue/white car did not have time to react to the black car moving into his line.

I would like to see the same view from the blue/white car and compare :)

Racing incident for me. The car behind was on the inside line, the black car moves across before being fully ahead and the result is very light contact. No malice or deliberate swerving involved.

Keep in mind on light contact that there is a possibility that you are experiencing some lag, or the person who made contact with you is. This is common in online racing and has to be tolerated. General rule of thumb, if no one get's punted off the track, it's a racing incident. :)

Yes, thanks. I agree. I'm sure you all noticed that this is the 1st lap of the race. I should upload the start. We have a real bulldozer in our group I fear. LOL But yes, lag, the dreaded and not much to be done about lag. When I viewed the actual server recorded VCR file, it appears even more like an "incident", not a purposeful act.

when i see cars lagging they usually ficker on the trasck infront of me 1 second they are 10m away they 20m then 2m then back to 20m etc.

That is like the cars footprint on the track is 3 times its proper size on Hiroshi vid, is this the same as lag or a different kind of lag
I had the same experiance on RD with another racer, i thought it was me.http://www.racedepartment.com/race-...riverside-sunday-september-11st-2011-a-3.html But the following week Gunthar experainced the same thinghttp://www.racedepartment.com/race-...7-estoril-sunday-september-18th-2011-a-3.html for the same racer, the funny thing was he had a really low ping between 30 and 50..;. its all a bit strange to me

Yes, when the ping of the server is under 100 I always assume thats a great connection. But sometimes still problems occur with lag. Is internet the only thing that would cause this? I am thinking that in a fair amount of user created tracks the "code" or whatever it is, I'm not a programmer, is not all that it could or should be. And in addons things like camber can be set? I didnt know that these variables were written into specific tracks. So one car could handle completely differently even at very similar tracks? Odd. I see errors in many "addon" tracks that I don't see in the base game tracks.

There are some cases where trackdesign causes lagspikes, like three different drivable materials all at once under one or more tyres does that but it's FPS drop that causes the lag then.. Mostly the lag in stable server comes from some player getting a lagspike (avira antivir, anyone..) and that lag being distributed to all others when the game tries to keep everyone in sync. The priority for you is anyway your own car so the game can jitter without anyone noticing it in their individual screens.. If we compiled all the replays from every player.... it would not serve any purpose but it would be cool to see the difference.. :) Quitting and joining the server has the most impact any one player can make in Race07 dedicated server, ragequitting is in my opinion bannable offense in Race07 (wreck, cars, spinning, cones flying and one player quitting the server at the same time... everyone gets a lagspike that spreads over the network, wouldn't be surpised that it will create a ripple effect and at least partial feedback loop...

Racing games have one strength regarding online latency; the trajectory is very linear, it goes fast mainly in only one direction, there's not a lot of 720 jump-spin-quickscope-headshots in racing.. In FPS lag can be observed more easily as it can't predict very far where you are going to move.. In racing the lag becomes worse the closer you get to other cars, if they are 200m away, they can have 250ms latency and still behave normally..10cm away 70ms normal latency becomes huge..

Indeed, lag is caused by more then internet connection. I had an issue on my personal dedicated a week back orso. With a full grid (20 players), and the second dedicated filled with 10 players, I had a max upstream of about 0,7 MB per second. My internet connection (upstream) was at that time around 4MB per second, so now issues with connection. However, I got a lot of response in chat that there was lag, so I logged in myself to see what was up. Indeed, there was a lot of lag.

So, i told everybody on the server that I was going to restart it. Waited for the races to finish, and then reset the computer. After the reset, I started up the dedi's again, and all lag was gone.

In this example, all factors where the same. Same nr of cars, same track, standard Race07 track, so no or little risk in programmers mistakes, same internet speed. Pings where the same before the restart and after. So, there are more reasons for lag to occur.

Genereally speaking, a race with 20 players require about 0,5 MB per second to function correctly (actual upload including a Teamview remote session). During starts, I have seen a peak of 0,6 - 0,7 MB per second, but that depends on how close everybody stays during the first corners, and how well they drive. If there are a lot of crashes (my dedi's are no passwords, so all kind of players race there), the usage goes up a bit. When all goes "normal", it stays at 0,5. I noticed that the longer a dedi is up (in one session, multiple tracks), the bigger the risk becomes on lag. Looks a bit like there is a memory leak in the dedi server software, but I am not sure about it. I just reset the dedi's every so many days.

looking at the video i would have to say that the black car almost caused the car in front to loose control and the car behind didn't give him a chance to rejoin the line and get on with race so in my non expert opinion i would say 2 cars are at fault

Is it just me, or does the blue car in front seem to run a bit wide? The little tap with the blue starts the sequence of events, which lead to the barrier.

If indeed the blue one spins his frontwheals a bit, then I would have to "blaim" the black car for the events. I have been told that, if you are behind a vehicle, you have to anticipate. Since the anticipation came to late (or to intens), the second tap is generated, which leads to the final spin.

But then again, like said before, its hard to judge on this single angle.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back