XPacks Discussion

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Expansion Packs (XPacks)

BTB organises all Objects, Materials and Textures into Expansion Packs (XPacks). They are theme based so that the textures for the road surfaces, walls, trees and ground all look good together.

2eyaohs.jpg

By bunching objects, materials and textures together encourages a more aesthetic end result – although you will be free to use whatever XPacks you like!

This encourages two things:

1. People using your XPacks will create Tracks that are more aesthetic. That is the textures will look good together. Check how well objects from the Australia Rural XPack look against the road/ground textures.

2. Game performance will be increased by re-using the same objects/textures in creative ways rather than adding more objects from a number of XPacks. Good XPacks will reuse materials/textures, eg. the Texture for a house roof may be used on several House objects. When it comes to rendering performance, texture/material reuse is good.
These points will become even more important as the library of XPacks grow. Imagine having 12 different tree XPacks and trying to find some that match your terrain/theme.

Installation

Each XPack comes in the form of a Zip file. Additional XPacks will be created over time and installing them is a simple as dropping the Zip file into the BTB\XPacks folder. BTB reads directly from the Zip file, there is no need to extract the individual files/folders.

The initial BTB installation will not include much XPack material; they need to be downloaded from http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/pro_users/XPacks.aspx .

Adding to your Venue

You use “File … Expansion Packs” to select which packs you want to be available in your Venue.

Each Venue (project) you create will exist in its own folder and all Textures and XPacks used in your project will be copied to an “XPacks” sub-folder. If you want to edit a Texture that you added to your project, you need to edit the one that gets copied to your Venue’s folder.

Updating XPacks

Over time XPacks will gain more Objects and Materials and you will want to get the latest one. Simply download again and drop into you BobsTrackBuilder\XPacks folder.
Your existing Venues will need to be manually updated by copying the XPack into the project’s XPacks folder and overwriting the existing one.

Creating XPacks

A new utility called XPacker is included to help you create your own XPacks. It will not build your objects or textures, but it does help you to organise them into the required XPack structure.
Press F1 for more XPacker help.

Creating a community of XPacks

I am not artistic in the slightest so it’s up to everyone here to help build a library of XPacks that everyone can use. My time will be focussed on coding more BTB/XPacker functions so I am relying on you guys to help out by submitting more material.
If you have textures, objects and materials that you think would be suitable, contact me ( bob at bobstrackbuilder.net ) and I’ll be happy to organise them into a suitable XPack. All work should be your own with all copyrights respected.

These are the current themes I have in mind:
- Alpine
- Desert
- City
- Rural Australia (Ennis)
- Coastal
- Forest
- Haywood Club (WeirdBeard)
- Jungle
- Racing (I need cones).
- Savannah Grasslands (Raceking)
- Snow
- Woodland
Feel free to come up with more (ideally along with your own contribution) or make suggestions on how to better categories these themes.

Object Import Format

The importing of objects can be done using either the Collada or 3ds formats.

I would encourage anyone looking to import objects to use the Collada format as it is far more robust and isn't plagued by the shortcomings of the 3ds format. For Max, you can get a free plugin for import/export from http://www.feelingsoftware.com/content/view/65/79/lang,en/ though I think you have to sign up before you can access the downloads.

I am happy to do the organising if you wish to send the XPacks my way ( bob@bobstrackbuilder.net ). Please feel free to give suggestions on how they should be structured or into what existing XPack you think they could be added. The textures should be your own work as I cannot use other people’s textures without their permission.

Advanced Editing

Creating Content

When adding one more object/material I always create a new XPack and test just that one item making sure it works ok in all games. Once it’s ready then I copy the contents of that XPack into the destination XPack and re-zip it.

This isolates the work so that I can test many times without the possibility of adding more materials/textures than required.

Editing Content

XPacks are just zip files. If you wish to change just one item of a project, it can be unzipped and so long as it keeps the same folder structure, BTB will use the unzipped version instead (restart BTB).

Say for instance you wish to change replace the colour of the Default\Barn object.

1. Locate the [yourVenue]\XPacks\Default.zip.
2. Extract the shed01_end.dds and shed01_side.dds so that they are in a folder [yourVenue]\XPacks\Default\Textures\Objects\Building\.
3. Replace the shed01_end.dds and shed01_side.dds file with your own.
4. Start BTB.

Any of the files can be replaced using this method.

Avast ruined a few of my Xpacks & nearly killed 3 projects by removing parts of Xpacks until I worked out what happened...
Removed Avast from system (now running MSE) & a kind friend sent me all new Xpacks & I managed to save projects...
Avast seemed to think .ZIP files in Xpacker were viruses & removed several textures from most Xpacks even though it was told not to...
Not had the same troubles since getting rid of Avast.

That is strange, i got Avast and never had any reports about XPacks, all of the XPacks in the archive are under Avast control (the mirror is at my NAS and is Avast protected, they are all scanned by default....) So if anyone gets Avast positive from the community archive, it's even more strange since we should all have the same version of Avast running (that is if you have kept it updated..)

Seems odd that simple zip with text files and images would trigger anything. There are no threats in png, jpg or dds that i have heard of, unless you have a separate trigger and decoder executed, which is where Avast should give you positives.. Without a separate code it would be dormant...

When Avast got me (a few years back) it actually removed a couple of texture from a base Xpack (Rural Australia from memory) that was within the BTB Xpacks folder...
Not knocking Avast, just saying is all...
Also had troubles with Nod32 & AVG when downloading .ZIP files, & not just BTB XPack .ZIP's either...
Strange, I know!:O_o:

DOn't know if it matters but i have Avast running at basic protection, all the unnecessary checks are ticked off. I got file system, mail, network and behavior "shields" on, everything else is off. Basically you need only file system check to scan written data and behavior to protect running memory. Mail check and network monitor are just precautions i thought would be somewhat non-intrusive and still useful (running a fileserver from NAS etc... kind a want the internal stuff to stay secure..)

Haven't stopped in for awhile, but the BTB download section where the xPacks were located is gone from Race Department? And no old rFactor files?

We're still waiting for the BTB download section to be added....
It HAS been a while now...
And from what I'm told there's apparently not enough interest for an rFactor download section now...
Yeah, I was a bit upset & mystified by that too...
Maybe starting a petition might help?

We're still waiting for the BTB download section to be added....
It HAS been a while now...
And from what I'm told there's apparently not enough interest for an rFactor download section now...
Yeah, I was a bit upset & mystified by that too...
Maybe starting a petition might help?

sorry to say this but RaceDepartment is finished with rFactor 1 as of Sunday the 14th when RD Finished the Le Mans Series so as a result no rF1 Section will be made sadly :(

I can only say that several months ago Race Department chose to stop publishing news about rFactor to highlight rFactor2, Their answer to my email was that now on (at that time) the interest of the community will be related to rFactor2. I respected and respect their decision, but the facts show a different true scenario... maybe a good idea could be to revitalize the rFactor 1 scene and all related interests like the BTB XPacks, etc...

Download one by one. They all should work by simply copying them in to BTB\XPacks and then in BTB adding them to your project (File -> Expansion packs.). Haven't yet received any reports of faulty XPacks in the archive, they all work for everybody else, must be something in your end.. You don't need to extract them, BTB can read zip files.

If you got FB account, search for BobsTrackBuilder group and we'll add you in. Lately it's been the most active place to find support fast. Remember to like RD facebook page too (it's kind a mandatory :) )

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years