Xpacker difference in road physics

Greetings all, dose anyone happen to know what the difference in grav 1 to 6 is?
I figured grav3 is rough gravel, and 6 is wet.. is it that 1 is lightest and 6 hardest? .. also the project im working on is based in a desert region, and the terrain is mostly sand, is there something that will resemble sand in terms of physics... Also just while im at it.. I have some sections in my track that are on concrete... but this concrete is kind of sandy.. is there anything that will behave like tarmac but be a little slippy as if there was patches of light sand on it?.. if you can imagine driving near a beach on tarmac. perhaps one of the grav setting will do the job

Open Material Editor (program) found in ..\[BobsTrackBuilder]\Support\RBR\MaterialEditor and study possibilities of creating your own surfaces. You can also create ready-to-use templates for XPacker.

Holy surface properties Batman!
To the Batcave, Robin.

Wow martinez so many physics possibilies you have just made me aware of. Never knew this editor existed. Thanks so much for the heads up on this.

Well after trying a few things with this RBR_MaterialEditor.. and after reading the uber vague txt file provided with it, and after spending a good while looking on the web for some basic help before asking for help.I still cant figure out how to use this. I understand you load an ini (what ini ive no idea?) .. then it also says to open my texture dds, but most of my textures are xpacks.. made by xpacker.

I make textures/materials by making jpgs in photoshop, then bring them into xpacker.. i then put whatever physics i want on it (but there is very little choice.. no sand or anything). i then zip to xpack and apply them in btb on whatever i happen to be working on. I dont use dds for these types of textures, such as road and most terrain. The txt file provided refers to dds and ini files.. it says i must load a dds... yet what is the the Load Ini button for?.. to load an ini yes, but what ini and where.

From text file:
1. Run the RBR_MaterialEditor.exe
I can do this much ;)
2. (Optional) Click the "Texture" button and select "YourMaterial.dds" file that you intend to map surfaces to.
Cant do this as its asking for dds files, and all the textures I have that i want changed with different physics are ziped xpacks (in particular sand for the terrain close to the road). As it is im temporally using xpackers Gravel1 setting for this but it no where near to what ide like it to feel like. I want it to have some slide but slow the car down significantly, ... if u can invisage flat sand over hard ground.. like compacted sand on a beach or something.
3. Click the "Edit" checkbox.
I assume this is in refrence to step 2 since the "texture" button is unclickable until this "edit box" is checked on first load of RBR Materials Editor
4. Choose a material from the right hand side.
I Understand that you can paint different physics onto a texture/material (this came as a surprise to me as i thought rbr was one physics per texture).. nice!
5. Click "Fill" to make the whole area that surface material.
I Understand all this.
6. Select other Materials and paint the texture until satisfied.
I Understand all this.
7. Click "Save", then enter a filename and dont forget to add the ".ini" extension.
Despite the fact ive not got to this stage since i was never able to load my textures in the first place I`m a little unsure as to the whole "ini" thing. I know what an ini is, but where exactly am i saving this to? and shouldn't i be saving it as a dds? or xpack or something? If for example I have the texture i want changed to sand in an xpack, do i unzip the folder, lets say to a temporary location. Do i then copy and paste the saved ini from RBR Materials Editor into the root dir or one of the other subfolders? Do i then zip the folder up again and replace it into my project folder within bobs track builder folder, or do i put it my rbr folder somewhere?
8. Edit the file using a text editor, remove the first 4 lines, then save as "YourMaterial.rbr" and add it to your BobsTrackBuilder\Textures folder alongside your "YourMaterial.dds" file.
I understand i must edit my exported ini and take out the first 4 lines. However it then says save it as an .rbr file, Ok, but what name do i give this file, the name of the xpack where my sand texture is in? the name of the jpg file?.. no idea., Secondly it refers to the directory "BobsTrackBuilder\Textures" ... it seems my bobs track builder dose not have a folder called "textures".. certainly not in the root directory of btb. ... is it refaring to the texture folders within btb/myprojects/project1/xpacks/Common/textures/ ("project1" being an example).. Then it says put along side your material.dds .. right,.. so let me assume at this point "BobsTrackBuilder\Textures" is acctualy refaring to "btb/myprojects/project1/xpacks/Common/textures/" .. and then lets say within this folder I dont see some of the textures i want changed that i had made originally in xpacker using originally jpgs not dds's. what dose one do then?

If its a case i have to redo all the textures i want changed with new physics and make them dds files ill do that, but im still confused about the ini thing, where to save it or what to load in the first place... Im sure i can work all the rest out my self

"You can also create ready-to-use templates for XPacker" ... this sounds like an ideal way for me.. if i could make the sand and a couple of lighter sandy/gravel or a slipperier tarmac it would be great

hope someone can help, or direct me to a tutorial on how to use it (i did look around a good bit for help on this, but its thin on the ground)

PS. is one able to edit the sounds in any way for different types of surface? or dose thr rxplugin only support default sounds in terms of distributing this to other ppl.

regards
pan

XPacker templates for RBR:
- save the surfaces you like to ..\[BobsTrackBuilder]\XPacker\Content\RBRTemplates
- they are just the same files as .rbr you have just created.
This way you can save some time and not create them over and over. They will appear if you want to add surface to a texture in XPacker's list :)

Ah, I did not read your post - number 7 and 8 - just open any file with Notepad from the folder i wrote about above and it will tell you everything.
I usually open example.ini in Material Editor, paint with some new surface and just save it. Then I make a copy of it, open in Notepad, delete the mentioned lines, save and change the files' extension to .rbr. (I also just associated the .rbr files with Notepad in my system, so I open them just by double click)
You have then move your file to [BTB]\XPacker\XPacks\"Your xpack"\Textures and ensure that the name of the file is the same as the name of the texture.
Then don't apply any new surface in XPacker because your previous work will be overwriten. Just make a material from the texture, zip to BTB and add to your project. With some templates of yours you can skip the whole process of course - just take apply something from your upgraded list :)
After export to RBR, you can check the file "mat.ini" in ..\[RBR_folder]\RX_CONTENT\Tracks\[Your_track]\ and it will contain information about all materials you have used in your track and also all surfaces' data.
I think this is all you need to know (I mean there's no more mysteries).

I like Notepad 2 which is much better than standart Windows Notepad (IMO) - f.e. it colours the syntax etc.
I think you can try this one:
http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
If any problems with it, I can upload the one I have.

One more (not a mystery ;) ) - you can also edit the "mat.ini" file manually from the RX_CONTENT\Your_track folder\ - just make some new file in Material Editor, copy it's contens (text) and paste into the "mat.ini" in the place you want to change the surface.
This could be in a moment when you have changed your mind about the surface, but your btb's project was lost for some reason.

i finally got around to trying this out, and your advice
Im pleased to say everything works super :)

there are so many surfaces to choose lol, are they official terms?

Just on a side note.. what is the difference between water impact soft and water surface?

great info again martinez, i cant thank you enough

I'm not sure 100% :) For me, some surfaces sound the same and there are also very small differences between some others. Especially water ones - they seem to be connected with physics of original game special effects. But we don't have any of these physics in RX... :(

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%