PC1 XBox Disussion, pCARS Features, News, and Leagues

Console users have much to look forward to this Spring, but the most anticipated racing game on any console, is the SIM racer, Project Cars. Although it's great to read about the game through the play of PC testers and opinion makers, console users have special considerations to think about, both good and bad, but mostly good, it seems.

For instance:
1. Will the telemetry be portable, like many incorporated mods/apps will allow PC users to do?
2. Will the game reach both 60 fps and 1080p on the Xbox One?
3. What sets this game apart from other self-described "SIM" racers such as Forza?
4, How will this game differ from Shift2, the last SMS title for the 360?
5. Will there be any features in the game itself that are available to PC users, but not Xbox One users?

Many many other general questions abound, and I will try to provide as much information as I can regarding the game, with a specific eye toward the Xbox One user.

Also, discussion and announcement of Project Cars leagues on the Xbox One may be announced here, or discussed. I hope to put together an IndyCar Series that takes advantage of all the game has to offer and remains as faithful to the IndyCar Series itself as possible, even down to following and racing with them on their race weekends and setting the weather to the exact weather at the race using pCARS GPS and satellite technology in conjunction with customized weather progression.

Xbox One users...or those who might get an Xbox One, please feel free to share your thoughts and ideas here about Project Cars and its future here at Race Department. Thanks!

Rob

News
Project CARS Season Pass Details Revealed
by Damian Seeto on March 6, 2015

The Season Pass for Project CARS has now been revealed and it will include a lot of content that won’t be in the base game.

PlayFront has reported on everything that the Season Pass for Project CARS will bring to gamers. There will be a mix of new cars, stages, game modes, events and more. The first content from the Season Pass will be available as early as April.

Check out what you get from Project CARS’ Season Pass:

• Car Pack “racing icons”
  • Extension “Audi Ruapuna Speedway”
  • Car Pack “new for old”
  • Extension “Red Bull Ignition”
  • Car Pack “Aston Martin”
  • Extension “Lotus Classic”
  • Car Pack “Renault Sport”
  • Extension “Toyota & Mitsubishi Macau”
  • Extension “Ford Oval Racing”
You will also get the following benefits if you choose to buy the Season Pass of Project CARS.

• Submit a discount compared with the separate purchase prices.
  • A week’s early access so that you can be a nose ahead of your competition forever.
  • 50 exclusive car coats, allow you to bring your team affiliation to express and make a good impression on the track at the same time.
All of the Season Pass content from Project CARS will be available from April 2015 until January 2016.

Any specifics on these?:

• Car Pack “racing icons”
  • Extension “Audi Ruapuna Speedway”
  • Car Pack “new for old”
  • Extension “Red Bull Ignition”
  • Car Pack “Aston Martin”
  • Extension “Lotus Classic”
  • Car Pack “Renault Sport”
  • Extension “Toyota & Mitsubishi Macau”
  • Extension “Ford Oval Racing”

The only one I know something about is the oval package, since they have mapped many iconic American ovals and they were actually in the earlier releases. This would be great for an IndyCar Series or a NASCAR series.

For console users, specifically the xbox one, the big questions are: are the physics like a SIM, does it run at 60fps/1080p, and how does it compare to other SIM titles?

1. The PC Community seems to be having a debate about whether pCARS is a SIM, but from what I have read, most feel that it is, but, more importantly, that's not a comparison against console racing games, but PC SIM games, such as iRacing and Assetto Corsa. For instance, on another thread, this video was posted as proof that it does not stack up to iRacing:

However, comments such as "The fact that it is more forgiving doesn't mean that it is less realistic." and "As was mentioned in the video that Project CARS has more forgiving Curbs is because Ben Collins verbalized that the curbs in other sim titles were too unforgiving and that the drivers "Smash Curbs in Real Life" his own words. You should not automatically spin out just by touching a curb. However the curbs in PCARS can upset the car enough to cause you to spin out. As it is as proper line oriented as any other title" got eight (8) "agree" tags. So take it FWIW.

2. The game will be released on xbox at 60fps, and that's confirmed:
November 26, 2014 by Shawn Hopkins
"The Xbox One has struggled, in some cases, to hit the 60 frames-per-second we were promised would be standard in this console generation.

"But in a recent press release Slightly Mad Studios promised its game will run at that buttery frame rate."

The real question is, will they get to 1080p? Most are betting yes since Forza 5 was able to do it and pCARS has had time (LOTS of time) to exploit the xbox hardware.

3. Some testers (PC) say it's better than iRacing, Assetto, rFactor, etc., some say it's worse, some say it's just as good depending on your tastes. I think they all would agree nothing even close has been seen on the console.

the more vids i watch the more indecisive i get. almost thankful for latest delay of ProjectC. i come from GT5/6 and wonder where to turn... i liked the way the guy commented on different aspects of different games, however having been pulled towards ProjectC for a while the remark 'the tracks feel very similar' within that game had me concerned... will it be good enough? i never played AC or iRacing but i.d like to... what do i need?

Project Cars on PS4 and Xbox One has PC-like graphics settings
Bloom! Crepuscular rays! Field of view! More!

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 16/04/2015

The console versions of Project Cars have PC-like graphics settings.

During a recent hands-on opportunity, Digital Foundry spotted visual effects menus in both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the racing game.

Options are arranged into a number of menus, including "Visual FX", "Authenticity", "Field of View" and "Movement". We can tweak post-process features such as bloom, crepuscular rays and screen-space effects (rain/dirt), and tailor the field of view to our liking.

We're used to PC games offering these sorts of graphics options, but console games typically do not allow players to tweak the visuals to such an extent.

These options tend to have an impact on PC game performance. Unfortunately, Digital Foundry was unable to thoroughly test their impact on the console versions of Project Cars, but we've asked developer Slightly Mad Studios for more information. It's worth noting Slightly Mad Studios recently confirmed the PS4 version of Project Cars runs at 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second, and the Xbox One version runs at 900p resolution and 60 frames per second.

The images, below, show off the PC-like settings menu of the Xbox One version, and were taken by Digital Foundry as part of its upcoming performance analysis.

Here's what Digital Foundry's Tom Morgan had to say:

"Project Cars' range of lighting effects is impressive. Both consoles boast an extensive visual effects menu to tweak each aspect, and though not as full-bodied as the PC's full graphics menu, we do get a level of flexibility rarely seen on console."

jpg

Visual FX.

jpg

Authenticity.

jpg

Field of View.

jpg

Movement.

See More at: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s4-and-xbox-one-has-pc-like-graphics-settings

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 405 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 275 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 268 10.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 191 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 320 12.9%