F1 2011 Xbox 360 Controller Advanced Settings (PC)

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi guys,

Got to mess around a bit with the game last night before going to bed, and initial impressions are this is WAY harder than 2010 on a pad. Traction control off for example is just beyond mental. This of course could be down to my car setup (I suspect not) or my advanced controller settings (I suspect mine are way off). I also had to set the steering deadzone to at least 18-20, otherwise the car would drift left/right on straights on it's own. Again, this could be down to my other steering settings being completely wrong.

Has anyone had any success with the 360 pad and would be willing to share their advanced wheel settings please?

Thanks! :cool:

im using a 360 on the pc version and I havent tweaked any settings other than changing the upshift and downshift buttons gas brake drs and kers where i wanted them. best lap ive managed I think is a 1:29 something at melbourne.in the mclaren.

Guys. At first laps i was also struggling. But once you learn the correct timing in the curves, you gonna see an amazing difference.

Forget about the quick setups. You have to adjust the car. Adjust the camber and toe are crucial to do some curves and keep a good speed.

I have my advanced setting set to:

deadzone: 7
saturation: 1
linearity: 7

All others are zero. You have to practice a lot. Watch some videos.

Also, on the PC version (and possibly on the console versions too) if you override the input type to a wheel, it will disable the "smoothing" of the steering input so whatever input you apply to the analogue stick it'll be reflected more accurately in the game. Not sure if this'll make the car more unstable with my current setup, will have to give it a try when I get back home later this weekend.

Hey guys. Here is a question for all the f1 2011 pc players that use the XBOX 260 controller.

I take it everyone uses the left analogue stick for steering but what do you use for throttle and brake? Everyone has commented on the steering but no one on the throttle and brake. Using the buttons (RT and LB) make no sense to me. How are you suppose to feather the throttle throw difficults corners and control the car during a slide? Granted, in F1 2011, you have to re-learn the turning in points and braking points as they are completly different compared to F1 2010 but you HAVE to adjust the car for your driving style. I completly agree with mickeyknox, forgot about the quick steps. Use them as a guide line at best.

Also, does your vibration / feedback dissapear during the game?

Gav, my vibration is a bit haphazard through the 360 controller. I think it's likely a gamebug for which we'll see a fix in whatever patch should be forthcoming.

I've always used analogue triggers for throttle event requests ;) and braking -- just couldn't do it with the right analogue stick, my hand doesn't have a wide enough span (or the right brain-thumb wiring). I can modulate and control my braking and acceleration pretty well with the analogue triggers given their relatively limited range.

[no point in rewriting, so this is crossposted from my Codies forum post]

I made some progress from my earlier custom setup for the 360 gamepad (which I posted in this thread). This one I find easier to control the car with -- I also experimented with overriding the controller type as wheel (it produces some VERY interesting results, you can be a lot more accurate as long as you don't move your thumb too quickly!)

Here's my current setup:
Steering Deadzone: 8%
Steering Saturation: 0%
Steering Linearity: 100%
Throttle Deadzone: 15%
Throttle Saturation: 8%
Brake Deadzone: 15%
Brake Saturation: 2%

This produces quite driveable results, you have to be sensitive with the brake though (you'll easily lock the inside wheel if you overbrake). Some slight adjustment to the Deadzone (upwards) and the Saturation (to zero) should make it more resistant to locking.
With the above settings I got 127th round Valencia in a Red Bull in Time Trials (I like that track) after about ten minutes of getting used to the sensitivity.

I also drove Valencia with the 360 pad in Wheel override mode - it's amazing how direct the input response is compared to the 'smoothing' effect that the gamepad mode has (obviously to counteract the smaller range and nonlinearity an analogue stick has). However, if you're measured and controlled with your thumb, you can get some really tight apexes and properly nail corners. No turn-in lag, really satisfying when you sweep through a corner properly. HOWEVER you will get snap understeer at a moment's notice if you overcorrect! Quite a challenge if you fancy it.

Hopefully the G27 should arrive any day now and I can consign the 360 controller to the SEGA Dreamcast Collection on Steam where it belongs ;)

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller on my PC version of the game with great results. I use default settings except for the fact that I've remapped the shift and DRS buttons. B=upshift, A=downshift and X=DRS. I've found no need to fool with any of the sensitivity settings. I use no driving aids either. Finding a wired 360 controller these days can be trickier than you may think. Microsoft hasn't made them for years. I picked mine up on ebay a couple years ago for around $20. Haven't checked lately. Until I can fit a G25 or a G27 in the budget I'll be more than happy to continue played with my wired 360 pad. :)

That Synergist and CoryG85. Your input has help me as the throttle and brake response is much better with the settings above. It is still a work in progress but I can think of worst things to do in my spare time!

Not a problem - I got so much from the RD forums when I started to play F1 2010 I'm desperate to contribute back in any way I can ;) I finally managed to get a controller and car setup good enough to reliably lap around Melbourne in a Lotus and post laps quick enough to get under the R&D time (Legendary AI) last night, it is actually fun with a steerable car! Plus if you get that sorted, you get DRS available. :D

I couldn't believe how frustrating it was when my 360 controller, an officially supported peripheral, made the car completely uncontrollable out of the box. Can't imagine what other PC and XBox players using 360 controllers are thinking when they turn the game on for the first time.

If you can improve upon my setup, please post it here -- it's initially so counterintuitive having to dial back all the settings to make it more manageable but it's just the way the saturation setting works. Unfortunately the 360 controller's response the left analogue stick is just plain awful, my setup is the best I've found (anything sharper just makes the wheel snap and becomes wildly uncontrollable). If I could just make the controller a little more logarithmic when you're near centre, the car would be a dream to handle, I could probably leave the controller override set to wheel (which removes all of that 'smoothing' on the steering input) and get an even more responsive car. But it's better than nothing eh!

Hi all,
can someone post the default values for this controller? I want to revert the custom one but i didn't remeber the defaults.

Thanks in advance

if you go back to the controller selection menu and toggle it back to XBox 360 controller (from "Custom") all of the Advanced settings will be reverted back to defaults.

If you want to do it manually (and I have no idea why) just move all the sliders to their leftmost position.

Just finished Malaysia and it ricked. Came in 2nd but wow, what a race. Have slightly tweet your setup and this is what I am now running.

Steering Deadzone: 9%
Steering Saturation: 0%
Steering Linearity: 100%
Throttle Deadzone: 15%
Throttle Saturation: 9%
Brake Deadzone: 15%
Brake Saturation: 4%

I've come to the conclusion that the throttle problem is not fixable by changing settings. There is a deadzone at the start of the throttle even at 0%, and once you reach 60-70 throttle press, it's like 100% throttle. And no, turning saturation up doesn't fix the deadzone at the start, it just makes the 60-70% press even more sensitive. This is making turning TC off a non-starter. It's just WAY to sensitive once you pass 60% press.

This needs to be balanced towards the middle, so you get immediate throttle input at the start of the press, but it's still progressive all the way up to at least 80%

Practice, Practice, Practice.....even a set up makes a difference on your handling. I Use a controller, just practice man. Tweak and fine tune as much as you want but i kept my sensitivity the same. practice makes a master...not saying im one...is just a quote.

hey, can you do me a favor:

test the xbox 360 controller in the PC to check this:

go to the controllers properties in windows and hold the triggers to one direction and then release them.

Ive already try 2 original 360 gamepads and they have this design flaw:

they do not return to the absolute 0 position when released. Then you gonna have to put some deadzone in every game.

by the way this is the default option in F1 2011: 20% deadzone.

I got both the pc and the xbox360 version of f12011 and am suprised you cannot tweak the xbox360 controller) settings on the console. This makes for a very twisty car, very hard to maintain a curve. Only solutions seems to be adjusting the setup. WIch helps but only a bit.

On the PC its manageable once you corrected the dead zones a bit. But because of the many other problems (like fps, loading times of 6 minutes) I decided against using the pc.

Why on earth did they not implement a mapable controller on the xbox?

Hey everyone just started playing the game on PC with the 360 controller, found this thread on settings, here are mine that are working a treat. I setup the controller using the Red Bull @ Spa as it had a good variety of corner types and straights/braking. I had the device set to gamepad, all assist off.

Steering Deadzone: 35%
Steering Sat: 33%
Steering Linearity: 0%
Throttle Deadzone: 95%
Throttle Sat: 2%
Brake Deadzone: 19%
Brake Sat: 12%

It's not perfect, but pretty close I think...Hope this helps!

Hey everyone just started playing the game on PC with the 360 controller, found this thread on settings, here are mine that are working a treat. I setup the controller using the Red Bull @ Spa as it had a good variety of corner types and straights/braking. I had the device set to gamepad, all assist off.

Steering Deadzone: 35%
Steering Sat: 33%
Steering Linearity: 0%
Throttle Deadzone: 95%
Throttle Sat: 2%
Brake Deadzone: 19%
Brake Sat: 12%

It's not perfect, but pretty close I think...Hope this helps!

Throttle dead zone at 95 % with all assits off!!!! Really???
I really don't know how you can be smooth on the throttle with this setting... :O_o:
I play with xbox 360 controller too but i'm only between 15-20 % deadzone on the throttle!

After reading through this thread, it seems there's a difference in how the xbox 360 controller works on the console vs using it on a pc. I play on the console nd my laptimes are pretty descent (China-1:27.542/Catalunya-1:15.043/Valencia-1:32.066 not the fastest, but descent). Unfortunetaly I don't have the controller adjustments available on the console, so I just gotta play with what I got. Nevertheless, I don't have too much trouble maintaining a steady line through corners. The only assist I run is TC cause its too hard to modulate 800hp with the 15mm of travel that the trigger provides. I'm sure if I got a wheel I'd be able to drop TC. The problem I'm having is not really with the inadequacies of the 360 controller, its not being able to run the same kinda laptimes online as I'm able to do in career mode. When playing online I'm like 1.3-1.7secs off my own pace:mad:

Hello,
I use the XBOX360 Controller on PC. My advaced setting are ALL AT ZERO PERCENT.
I think if you get a feeling for the car(which needs time) it favours your driving because every little input you give with your thumb impacts the cars behavious. For example sometimes i slighty steer in the opposite direction when i get out of a corner to counter a potential loose back end. On straight you have to get used to it. I think the linearitydifficulty on straights is more a controller problem. The sticks on my pad f.e. are very stiff. So i just have to make slight adjustments on a straight. But its easily possible when you got used to it.
Hope i could help you.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 104 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 369 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing