• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

WTCC @ Vara Raceway, Tuesday, 03 March 2015

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Dennis Phelan, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ajokay

ajokay
    Real-ish Racer

Ratings:
    +257
    Really enjoyed tonight. Only 6 people, but you only need one other person with similar speed to you (and good racecraft!) to have an entertaining race!. This circuit along with Gothenburg are my two favourite street circuits in the game.

Race 1 - First few laps I was stuck behind Alex until he made a small mistake through the left/rights round the back of the circuit that allowed me past. I caught up to Dennis over the next few laps and then spent the second half of the race failing to get by. Finished 4th.

Race 1 - Started 3rd, 2nd after John had been DSQ's for jumping the lights I think before they'd even come on!! Then I somehow managed to squeeze past Alex on the inside ofthe fast kink before the first braking zone. I then got 4 seconds lead until Nelson passed Alex and then took a second a lap out of my lead and was on my tail. With about 5 minutes to go I balled up that first braking zone and got sideways, hitting the barrier with my font left and gaining suspension damage. Still, I was in 3rd and could carry on ok. This became 2nd on the final lap when Nelson did the same as me.

And big thanks to John for his commentary/car-to-pit radio!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nelson Ullinskey

Nelson Ullinskey
    Premium

Ratings:
    +841
    All is forgiven. I will admit I was a bit upset after it happened, but this is all for fun.

Races were really fun. I was completely unaware that two cars could go door to door around the last set of corners, but Bjorn and I had a fun time finding this out. Too bad it ended with a crash. Second race ended with a loss of control, but it was still a fun race. I love street circuits... Macau any time soon? :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Björn

Björn
    Ävver et Hätz bliev he in Kölle

Ratings:
    +592
    @John Grant / anyone interested:
    Forgot about it yesterday, here are the Youtube playlists concerning simracing hints, tips and racecraft that I promised you on TS ;)

• iRacing Driving school - this is where I'd start as they start out with the very basics (physics, racing line, cornering) and gradually progress on to more advanced topics (starts, passing) and "soft skills" like racing etiquette and surviving T1
    • Emptybox's "Simracing 101" - another great series with a slightly different scope. Emptybox starts out with an overview on hardware and games and then explains various (more advanced) topics like learning a track, online etiquette and field of view settings (important! so important! ;)) without catering too much to basic racecraft. One of the most interesting videos, the one on defensive driving, is missing in the playlist, but available over here.
    • Shaun Cole's SimPit - this one's more of an honorable mention because while an interesting channel, Shaun's fairly bad at consistently naming his videos and/or creating playlists for them, making it rather hard to find all videos on a specific topic. However, while uploads aren't too regular, this is an ongoing source of information, unlike the two playlists above. Keep an eye out for the "quick tips" and "simpit driving school" vids in particular.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1