Cars WSC/90s Group C Cars: Toyota TS010, Jaguar XJR14

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats plenty of surfaces :confused: does this influence performance in a way multiple entries in the collision.ini would?
The aero is only checking for one point's height above the ground while colliders check for an entire object's intersection of the track's 3d mesh (of course both do calculations after that, but for a computer they're much quicker than the ones mentioned), so it's nowhere near as bad as adding collision.ini entries. I'm sure there's an effect on performance, but I haven't noticed it - and my CPU's nothing special so I wouldn't worry about it (I can check actual loading in the performance app at some point). Anyway to do this car anywhere near accurately, this is actually the minimum (maybe 9 could work if you condensed the front splitter and its diveplane/louver combinations) that it needs in AC...

This one got rather complicated...just a few more "wings" than your typical Kunos car.

View attachment 195557

edit: And those 1:10s at Brands have now turned into high 1:08s with what I think is more accurate aero and tires (which is just more grip from each because it seems as though 9000 lbs of downforce at 200 mph was too conservative of an estimate :O_o: - ran across a couple of sources citing something more like 9500)

Isn't that almost 9 CL ?

Isn't that almost 9 CL ?
Yep...I think I have it at 8.7 or so right now. It's not alone with those insane numbers either; a wind tunnel study done by Nissan's R&D department in 1993 got their car to over 10,000 lbs of downforce with over a 6:1 L/D. A few other cars were reaching those levels of downforce (XJR-14 included) but with much higher drag (4-5:1 L/D ratios). No cars have come close since.

Even the old-fashioned Sauber C11 was hitting nearly 6,000 lbs at 200 mph...Mauro Baldi reportedly did Eau Rouge flat out in qualifying in that car.

To put it into perspective, a good privateer 2013 LMP1 car (only year I have high downforce data for) could manage a 5.0 CL with a 4.0 L/D...the Audi's were probably closer to 5.5 and 4.5 respectively. Still nowhere near the TS010.

Thing is they did those numbers only at ideal conditions. A little too much front lift...and you'd do a Webber.

Ofc I'm curious what would actually be possible today if we had no rules

Thing is they did those numbers only at ideal conditions. A little too much front lift...and you'd do a Webber.

Ofc I'm curious what would actually be possible today if we had no rules
Actually it wasn't really that bad. The vast majority of the downforce generated came from just a little bit forward of the car's centerline, the front splitter was a tiny part of the car's overall downforce. At Lime Rock in GTP, cars were getting their noses feet off of the ground without actually flipping (and those were old-regulation cars). The Mercedes CLR/Porsche GT1 incidents (3 in total I think) arose from the fact that those cars made a lot of downforce outside of their wheelbases, so when they got air under the front splitter, suddenly all of their front downforce became lift, and up they went. Group-C didn't really have that (it did however, like modern LMP1 and DP, have flipping incidents when tires popped).

A really cool thing about the Group-C cars is that despite the massive downforce, the balance shift under braking/acceleration was at maximum 1% (due to the location of the leading edge of the diffuser)...far stretch from the sometimes 5% shifts you see on modern cars.

• Deleted member 130869

1987-1993 Group C cars were the coolest of all. It's simple.

@CombatSanta mcf1p is talking with someone experienced to potentially do that :thumbsup:

This is the best TS010 video though :laugh:
Also a similar one of the R91CK :p

Only two weeks of study to go...getting itchy modelling finger...

Last edited:
Just started blocking out a bit of the interior

HAplr4y.jpg

Just started blocking out a bit of the interior

HAplr4y.jpg
First off, thanks a lot for these cars and i'm def. not saying it to disrespect you but judging by the progress, a 2018 release?

Again, no offense and please keep up the good work. AC needs these group c monsters.

First off, thanks a lot for these cars and i'm def. not saying it to disrespect you but judging by the progress, a 2018 release?

Again, no offense and please keep up the good work. AC needs these group c monsters.
Progress (per session) is actually a lot quicker than most and Iain is an experienced modeler who is currently busy with exams...in a week or two and he won't be. I wouldn't worry too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 233 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%