F1 2011 Wrong CPU detection

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey Guys,
All of you who own i3/i5/i7 Proccesors , did you check in My Documents\My Games\FormulaOne2011\hardwaresettings\hardware_set tings_info.xml, the CPU line?

Beacuse there's a thread already about :

<cpu name="Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz" speed="3292" cores="2" hyperThreading="true" sse2Supported="true" rating="3" />

Just check for yourself if everything is ok with your detection.

:redface:

Try to manually set the game to work with all cores. Go to Task Manager and than with right click on the F12011.exe > Afinity and select all cores. When you build a game that should work on different platforms mistakes like this one are usual.

F1 2010 orginal release and patch were ok, but the F1 2010 puddle hotfix that codemasters released contained many errors in the core maps causing many people to use only half their CPU cores and giving dramatic drop in FPS. It took some real tinkering with to correct it.

I'd have hoped they had fixed that a long time ago. Sad to see its affecting people in 2011 game.

Not really a mistake. Console ports are only really gonna tax 2 of your cores at any one time IIRC. That's why you don't get massive gains between dual / quad or even 6 cores. It's all about the GPU.

Also, i3 and i5 dont have hyperthreading, and even if they did, hyperthreading is not supported in console port games.

thats why the i5 2500 has become the gaming rig sweet spot, as there is no point buying a i7 with HT if you only plan to game.

Also have a look in hardware_settings_config.xml, and the line workerMapFile="system/workerMap2Core.xml should really read workermap4core i think for a quad core.

I couldn't edit this line and make it stick as it kept changing it back, so i copied and renamed the workermap4core to workermap2core

Doesn't seem to have affected fps but i was getting 60 fps before. Might just spread the load a little more even.

My processor is a i5 2500k running at 4.4ghz and says cores=2 in the info file

Not really a mistake. Console ports are only really gonna tax 2 of your cores at any one time IIRC. That's why you don't get massive gains between dual / quad or even 6 cores. It's all about the GPU.

That's not correct.

F1 2011 is massively CPU dependent. Even the reflections are rendered by the CPU.

Going from a dual core to quad core gives you a 30+ fps boost in DX9 and 20+ in DX11.

Differences in performance between different numbers of cores are colossal even though the CPU usage is normal.

http://benchmark3d.com/formula-1-2011-benchmark/2

You took longer than I expected to reply Mike - you're slipping!

I'll hold my hands up and say that information was based on my own experience of benching 2010 on numerous clients rigs, rather than 2011 - im surprised that they have done a bit of post console optimisation this time round.

Well done, see you on the next thread. :D

Also have a 2500k and in the info.xml it also shows cores="2" and hyperThreading="true" (2500k doesn't support HT) but if I change any of these settings the game crashes just before the menu loads.

Oh and:

f1_cores_avg_dx9.jpg

f12011_cores_avg_dx9.jpg

Same story for DirectX 11...

With this threat http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/42104-dx11-fix-for-quad-core-systems.html you can force the game to use the workermap4core.
I have a quad core and the game uses the workermap2core, but when I check the cpu it uses all 4 cores... So maybe there is notting to worry about...?

I'd be careful using that... I wrote that a year ago and can't remember the details but I know it took a few revisions and that the puddles would still be unstable. I would do what someone else is doing already and copy and rename workermap4 to workermap2 and make a backup of the original in case it does anything untoward. I'm not even sure this does anything helpful yet. It's difficult for me to test as I haven't noticed much of a problem in FPS, speed etc.

You all misunderstand me.
I had no intention to begin a long story benchmarks etc. or just mess up.Just to check out your detection that's it guys.
But if you you have i7 working as cores= 2 and you haven't problems at all ,its gr8.Just a simple message.:cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 198 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 259 13.5%