Wreckfest: an Old Volvo, Championships and More Coming Soon...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
New Wreckfest Previews.jpg

After a long silence Bugbear Entertainment have confirmed their Wreckfest title is nearing completion.. with some interesting hints at new content / features on the way.

Many have fallen in and out of love with Wreckfest during what has been a tumultuous period of often glacial development progress these past few years, bowled over by what are rather solid graphics and vehicle damage, but turned off by a constant lack of core feature updates and new content.

When things were looking on the downslope for Bugbear and Wreckfest the community scoffed at news that the ambitions developers intended to bring the game to consoles in the near future, rightfully pointing out the title is nowhere near a version one stage, and showing high degrees of scepticism at the likelihood of the studio progressing to such a state as to having the game finally in a fully feature complete stage of progress..

Well it looks like these past few months of silence from the studio are about to be rewarded... the developers have confirmed the next patch is set to bring many of those things that players have considered essential for a fully completed game. In a blog post on the Wreckfest website it has been confirmed that the upcoming update will contain "loads of new unique cars, a proper career mode with championships, car paint job customization, brand new HUD, greatly improved AI, polished tracks and a lot more – in short, everything that will soon make Wreckfest a complete game".

Now it is a little on the early side for the developers to go into detail about what the update will contain or when it will finally drop, other than the preview image at the top of this article, however it is still very good news to hear this fundamentally very impressive arcade racer is finally closing in on a fully completed release. At last.

Wreckfest is available for PC through the Steam Early Access programme, with both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases scheduled for 2018.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Check out the Wreckfest sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the game. Head over to the forum and join the discussion today!

Do you still enjoy Wreckfest? Does the prospect of new content, features and polish give you faith that the game can finally achieve its undoubted potential? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Great to see all this interest in our game!

Our terrain bump technique modifies the collision geometry without needing to make the visual geometry overly complex (which is very costly due to rendering) or without having to use a separate collision geometry mesh created in a 3ds Max or the like (which would be slow and painful to modify, btdt). For this reason, it affects the FFB exactly the same as actual geometry. It also uses the scene coordinates, so yes, the geometry is always the same, every playtime and every player.

Great to see all this interest in our game!

Our terrain bump technique modifies the collision geometry without needing to make the visual geometry overly complex (which is very costly due to rendering) or without having to use a separate collision geometry mesh created in a 3ds Max or the like (which would be slow and painful to modify, btdt). For this reason, it affects the FFB exactly the same as actual geometry. It also uses the scene coordinates, so yes, the geometry is always the same, every playtime and every player.

HI and thanks for dropping by and paying us a visit.. :)

Hi Paul and Rupe, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll try and check up with you guys here every now and then, it will be interesting to see and hear what you think of the game especially now that we're nearing the finish line with it. As you know we're not focused on developing a full-on simulator but we do take advantage of similar tech and we hope there's a certain degree of plausibility, especially in regards to handling and vehicle physics, that could resonate well even with a simulator player looking for a quick change of pace between iRacing sessions :laugh:

If there's anything you think I can assist with, just shout.

I'll try and check up with you guys here every now and then, it will be interesting to see and hear what you think of the game especially now that we're nearing the finish line with it. As you know we're not focused on developing a full-on simulator but we do take advantage of similar tech and we hope there's a certain degree of plausibility, especially in regards to handling and vehicle physics, that could resonate well even with a simulator player looking for a quick change of pace between iRacing sessions :laugh:

join our racing club at some point ;)

Hello,
I love the fact you can just jump on and drive, I think the game would be spoilt if it was too simmy...
for me you have the balance perfect. I love using my wheel with the game, and was worried with my combo of parts i would have issues.. but no all was recognised and and working fine. (some simms cant even do this)

So whilst you say your game play mabye not be full sim, the other option you have and ease of use make it a winner..
A server that allows full control by other parties.
all the function id expect are there..
ok im using a dedi server manager but a user friendly default interface to set it up could help.

So is there any news on a Dedi server. i know it works, but plans for a interface, cutting and pasting stuff getting the correct track names can be troublesome. ( im not a tech guy and did struggle)

Last edited:
http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/steam_community_announcements/2442505391476923482

December Update

16 DECEMBER - JANNESBB
3f5288bbe0b8c9667d52fb42c16ccc68cf6c0aca.jpg

Dear Wreckers,

We're excited to let you know that the highly-anticipated December Update for Wreckfest is available on Steam!

This update represents a significant step towards the final release of the game, and what that means in practice is that this update contains a plenty of new as well as polished content and features in addition to a host of other improvements, the highlights being:

EIGHT NEW CARS
That's right – eight completely new cars, including our first ever front-wheel-drive cars, classic bangers, demolition derby heavy-hitters as well as something pretty unique! In addition to the new cars, many old cars have been refreshed.

PREVIEW OF THE CAREER
Two championships with many themed series – battle for championship points and earn experience, increase your rank and unlock new parts and cars! This preview is just a taste of things to come, with more varied series and challenges being introduced later on.

PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATIONS
Better performance thanks to the new LOD (Level of Detail) models for all vehicles, optimized grass performance and collisions with dynamic objects, improved V-Sync for smoother framerate.

POLISHED TRACKS
Say goodbye to the old work-in-progress tracks.

PAINT CUSTOMIZATION
Customize your car with a variety of paints and liveries, also supported over multiplayer.

MECHANICAL DAMAGE
Engine, gearbox, suspension, brakes and wheels can get damaged in crashes, resulting in performance degradation. And yes, wheels now get torn off too!

VEHICLE TUNING
Adjust suspension stiffness, differential type, brake bias and gear ratio to suit your style or the track, even between every race – also in multiplayer lobby.

GAME MUSIC
Songs from the Audiodraft game music contest that you voted for are in!

AUDIO IMPROVEMENTS
Unique engine sounds for all cars, most completely new, as well as better situational audio, new spatial effects and improved countdown behaviour.

NEW, ENHANCED HUD AND USER INTERFACE IMPROVEMENTS
All-new, more modern HUD. New main menu and some cool neat functionality such as car icons that update automatically.

BETTER AI WITH ADJUSTABLE DIFFICULTY
Increased awareness and more variation in the driver profiles with some racing cleaner and some being more prone to making mistakes, as well as a difficulty setting that can be adjusted to your preference – try beating it on hard difficulty!

RIVALS
New work-in-progress feature: someone can become your rival by crashing into you, and you can earn bonus score by showing them who's the boss.

IMPROVED CRASHES
Crashes feel more vigorous than ever, and visual damage is improved.

ENHANCED VEHICLE PHYSICS AND CONTROLLER
Improved tire model as well as suspension physics and updated controller implementation for better handling and easier playing with a gamepad or a keyboard. Don't forget to test different assist combinations to find something you like - with no assists the game is meant to be more authentic experience especially with a steering wheel, while with full helpers you can simply pick up the pad and let it rip!

MANUAL CLUTCH
For the ultimate immersion – you asked for it, and here it is!

And those are only the highlights: the update contains plenty of other goodies, some more significant and some more minor, but we invite you to take a look yourself. These couple of last months have been hectic for us, and we hope you'll enjoy the update. There are still many little bits and pieces missing as you'll no doubt notice, but we were hell-bent on getting this update out so that you can already have a chance to check out what we've been working on and give us feedback that we can then use to fine-tune whatever you feel is wrong or off. In other words, don't forget to let us know what you think!

Just tried the new update:
Wow! This game, after all these years in early access, has finally become something worth playing. Hopefully the replay controls will receive the same love as the rest of the game. Not having the ability to jump anywhere in the replay timeline is bad enough, but having to completely restart from the beginning because of no rewind control is beyond stupid.
The FFB actually feels pretty good and the tracks that I have tried so far look amazing.
b3m5MGa.png

GUace3A.png

Just tried the new update:
Wow! This game, after all these years in early access, has finally become something worth playing. Hopefully the replay controls will receive the same love as the rest of the game. Not having the ability to jump anywhere in the replay timeline is bad enough, but having to completely restart from the beginning because of no rewind control is beyond stupid.

When you do a race offline, there no actual "video" being recorded, so can't save replay or jump around time line of video. Replay video is recalculated again by some data the replay store during the race. Replays not 100% accurate to the original race. But with the many replay options and camera angles, can make some cool looking videos. :cool:

This video not using replay mod:

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back