WRC: Sebastien Ogier completes Monte Carlo Hat Trick

Ogier Monte Carlo 2016.jpg

Image Credit: Jaanus Ree/Red Bull Content Pool
Reigning World Rally Champion Sebastien Ogier collected his third consecutive victory in the historic Rallye Monte Carlo, beginning his quest for a fourth straight championship with maximum points.

Ogier spent most of the rally trading the overall lead with Citroen's Kris Meeke in a solid duel, but a broken gearbox ended Meeke's challenge on Stage 12, relieving the pressure off the three-time champion. A victory on the Power Stage gave Ogier the maximum points for victory - the thirty-third of his WRC career, and joining an elite group of drivers to pick up a hat trick at Monte Carlo - Sandro Munari, Walter Röhrl, Tommi Mäkinen, and Sebastien Loeb did it previously.

"This rally is the most important of the season for me and it's so emotional to win here for a third time," said Ogier after claiming the victory. "I've been dreaming of this since I was a kid. To win such a difficult rally three times in a row is fantastic, and a real team effort from everyone."

The winning margin was 1 minute, 54 seconds over teammate Andreas Mikkelsen, who took second place in the Power Stage. Thierry Neuville limped home in third for Hyundai, driving the final leg with a broken prop shaft.

Mads Østberg claimed fourth on his return to M-Sport, while Citroen's rookie Stephane Lefebvre placed fifth on his Monte debut in the top class. Dani Sordo finished sixth, and placed third on the Power Stage for a bonus marker for him and the Hyundai team. Ött Tanak was seventh, ahead of WRC-2 winner and former teammate Elfyn Evans, who was eighth overall, with Esapekka Lappi and Armin Kremer completing the points places.

Along with Meeke, Jari-Matti Latvala retired his Volkswagen late on day three with suspension damage after an off. They weren't alone in their misfortunes this weekend: Eric Camilli, Robert Kubica, and Lorenzo Bertelli all crashed out on day two, Hayden Paddon also crashed and limped home to 25th overall on the day, and Bryan Bouffier retired late in the third day from suspension damage.

The next round is Rally Sweden, 11-14 February.

Ogier is the best rally driver out there and no one seems able to stop him. Latvala with a one rally suspension and Meeke not bring consistent enough. Mikklesen would be my bet to finish P2 in the championship but he won't mount a serious title. I think Toyota and Citroen will really shake things up next season

In America, we'd call it "probation" for Latvala.

Outside of the smothering, charging-hourly-fees-for-daylight juggernaut that is The Big O, I had to have been most impressed with Lefebvre and Evans' rallies. Real shame we won't get to see Lefebvre for a bit longer, but Craig Breen could immediately pick right up where he left off.

I am both impressed, and not impressed by Evans. He is best on tarmac, the car is new, and it's a total unknown how good the car is. But M-Sport have put an extreme amount of work in to the car, as the R5-segment is a place they can sell many cars, but at the moment the Skoda Fabia is the best car there.

The new R4-class might ruin a bit for M-Sport, I hope not, but it might happen.

I am slightly surprised that PH Sport didn't put P.Solberg in the car for Sweden, as Breen won't be a top bet on snow.
But I am more surpised that M-Sport didn't put H.Solberg in the R5 car for Sweden.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%