WRC: Atkinson Joins Hyundai Testing Squad

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Former Subaru works driver, Chris Atkinson, is the latest signing for Hyundai's WRC effort for 2014.

Along with Juho Hanninen and Bryan Bouffier, the Australian will be assisting with development of Hyundai's i20 WRC car being produced for the 2014 season.

The 33-year-old will test the car next week, however he has been in contact with Hyundai staff at their HQ in Alzenau, Germany prior to today's announcement.

"This is such an exciting project and to be a part of Hyundai's push back into the WRC by helping develop the i20 is a massive thing to be a part of." Explained the reigning Asia-Pacific Rally champ.

"After visiting the Hyundai Motorsport factory three weeks ago, I am hugely impressed by the team's commitment and achievements so far.

"I have a lot of experience of many different WRC cars and events, and I will utilise this knowledge to support the development of the 2014 i20 WRC car."

Chris drove for Subaru, in one way or another, for 5 years. He had a two year hiatus in 2010 and '11, before rejoining the WRC in 2012 with brief stints with Monster in a Focus, Qatar piloting a DS3 and Mini Team Portugal. The Aussie also drove a one-off rally with Abu Dhabi Citroen in Mexico, finishing 6th after a collision which damaged the car.

Hyundai Motorsport team principal Michel Nandan said "It is great to be able to integrate Chris into Hyundai Motorsport testing line-up for this season and I am convinced he will bring a lot of valuable WRC experience.

"Chris will support the work of our main test drivers Juho and Bryan. With the combined expertise of all three test drivers, we will be able to benefit from thorough and comprehensive input at every test session."

Image: Autoworld
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 288 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 194 10.4%
  • < 4 years