1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

EU Would you like to race open wheelers more often?

Discussion in 'Automobilista Racing Club & Leagues' started by Tal, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Yes! (once a month)

5.9%
  2. Yes! (once a week)

55.9%
  3. Yes! (more than once a week)

14.7%
  4. Yes! (don't care about the tendency)

5.9%
  5. No! (the current amount is perfectly fine)

17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tal

Tal
    Premium Member

Please do vote even if your answer is a firm resounding NO!

Please explain:
    1) What is your preferable open wheeler?
    2) What suggestions do you have to make club races with these cars safer and more enjoyable?
    3) Any other comments you have in this general direction, good or bad.

Personally, I absolutely love driving the Formula Reizas, but unfortunately I only raced them about once in the club, ever since I joined about a year ago. Needless to say, I'm pretty sad about this. I really want to race these cars, but other than going to iRacing to satiate my needs (nope), I'm resigned to just drive with the AI, which needless to say in underwhelming and very frustrating. So I was wondering how many people are in the same boat as me, and maybe we can come up with ideas here.

tag list to get the most representative poll (tag people who aren't here):

@Angelo dos Santos
    @Kurupt CDN
    @Craig Patteson
    @Dachsos
    @Marc Cabana
    @Franklin Stegink
    @Mick Aspinall
    @Joao Fernandes
    @Chark
    @Theo van den Brink
    @Jarek Kostowski
    @Mark Breslin
    @Sri Sri
    @Neto Nascimento
    @Franco Becagli
    @EireGreen™
    @Davy Vandevenne
    @Gabriel Sterr
    @Raphael Zanardi
    @Calum McLure
    @bömii
    @Slalom823
    @MoerasGrizzly
    @Anestis
    @Enzo Fazzi
    @JeffL
    @videvfr
    @Sven-Arne Andersson
    @Jonathan Menéndez
    @TeSL9
    @Stig Bidstrup
    @Falk Massmann

Please tag anyone missing from the list that races here.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Nox

Nox
    Staff Premium Member

V12s, Classics, Reizas, Retros, Extremes are not club vehicles, which is why we only run them now and then (approximately once every few weeks). They aren't the sort of vehicles you can just jump in and drive. But we do a special one every month or so.

Additionally the Extreme has a bug where the cars disappear when they hit 8th gear, so they are out indefinitely until it is fixed.

As for F3s, we do those almost every week.

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

F3's are the ultimate club cars for open wheelers as the toca's are for tintops ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tal

Tal
    Premium Member

@Nox I know the general attitude towards this class of vehicles among the staff, I'm just wondering if there's even an interest with the club regulars to race these cars at all before we can maybe move forward and try to think of a way to make these events (with these cars) more club friendly. I personally already have a couple of ideas, I'm just wondering if others feel the same as me. Certainly right now, with 3 touring cars event per week (not gonna lie, I'm slightly upset about that, but thats my problem seeing as people are signing up massively), and with daily events, surely if we can come up with a solution we can squeeze some more of these events in.

Also, regarding the notion of not being able to jump in and drive: that is true (for most people). But honestly, in simracing, that is the case most of the times. Even in the slower cars, you can't expect to jump in 10 minutes before a race and be very competitive (again, for most people, in my opinion), or very consistent (which also effects how safe (for lack of a better word) you are driving around other people at the track). These cars are indeed less forgiving, but I'm hoping maybe in this thread we can try to find a way to get around this obstacle, or try to contend with it as best we can.

PS - I know we race the F3 fairly regulary, I was mainly thinking about the faster cars though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. SOLO59

SOLO59
    Premium Member

F3's! Fvee's! Yes please!!! C.A.R.T Mod anyone?
    IMO, I think the Fclassic are the most drivable out of the rest of the stock open wheelers (excluding the more drivable F3 and Fvee).
    If we do run the difficult-to-drive open wheelers, maybe add one or two "low assist" options.
    For high volume of sign ups, split the group into two separate servers? Something like 8 - 12 drivers per server. This should control and help prevent accidents.
    Set up a second "warm up" session after qualy. The purpose of the second warm up session is for EVERYONE to practice their race starts (for standing start races). This should be made mandatory. A strict rule when racing these beast! This will help to prevent chaos during race starts.

@Tal, the touring cars have served its purposs and still continues to do so which is, to provide a car that everyone can drive and to increase sign ups! I for one can't complain.... I've said this before, I respect and appreciate everything RD does for us. But you are free to speak your mind though.... nothing wrong with that (also, I guess you'll be 50/50 about what I wrote in the touring car sign up thread for this Wednesday :notworthy:).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Sponsored by BRUT Premium Member

Just Cart (indycar) though. I voted NO , there is enough.

I detest the V's and the others but that is my choice. Too dificult to race for me personally. Low aids would help these and make it possible for me join in with the aliens but no doubt these perfectionists will cry and complain about realism whilst allowing any view to race rather than making cockpit compulsory. :rolleyes: I actually prefer cars that provide better closer racing like the Touring cars. But hey ho each to their own. Its fine for you aliens to ask for faster, more difficult cars, but what about us casual club racers? .
    Just my take. I prefer touring cars for now.
    edit, I'd better be careful, Nox does not like me having an opinion.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  7. Tal

Tal
    Premium Member

The touring cars are fine and it is my own personal preference that I hate them. I Just don't enjoy them.

8. Tal

Tal
    Premium Member

@Mid-pack Jack As it stands now, you get (most times) weekly races with the mini coopers, 2 weekly races with the touring cars (discounting that morning race), and whatever else is left is still very stable and somewhat easy to drive (IMO). I don't think that it's such a big deal to ask for one weekly fast open wheel event. So if your point is that casual club racers don't get enough races to compete in, I have to disagree. In fact, I would say that the staff's approach towards club racing greatly favors casual club racers in car selection. Which is fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

@Tal
    It makes a change. Lately it's been anything but touring cars and V8's until the last week or so.
    And I am glad for one that that RD favours the casual racers in the clubs. Leagues are for serious racing or join Iracing and rule the world.

I wouldn't mind one fast open wheeler per week if we had the choice to use low aids. As for the Mini's............I hate the fugly little things and never bother with them.

Thank god for easier to drive cars at last. That gives us lesser mortals (who have paid membership money also) to also enjoy a race or two whilst not being members of some clic of fast aliens keen to out shine each other at every opportunity and treat us backmarkers as nothing but mobile chicanes that get in their way. Just my opinion of course.

10. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Well don't enter the club races then.
    But hey, we are all paying members and should have a say and be able to request things.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  11. Nox

Nox
    Staff Premium Member

[​IMG]

12. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

I don't see Tal like that at all Andrew. :rolleyes::roflmao:

13. Jack are you a racist against faster racers because you really seem to hate them with a passion lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

Don't be stupid.:rolleyes: How can you be racist against faster drivers? Racism is against colour/creed/culture. Some uneducated people around here trying to stir things up.
    Troy join up and let us see you racing here. :thumbsup:

I don't hate them at all. A very childish thing to say. But some are full of them selves and very big headed. I just like to race and really don't care where I come at the end of the race either.

15. I used to but im not buying a premium membership since i really dont have any money to spare.

16. Tal

Tal
    Premium Member

@SOLO59 I don't think dividing the grid in two servers will be best, seems rather radical. We always want to race with as many people as possible. But I do get from that that you think that the big grid size is the cause of the incidents, which may well be true in some cases (most probably the race start, where the chances of getting a spinner at the start leading to a pileup are huge). After the grid spreads out a bit, everything stabilizes usually. As for your second suggestion: I already use the warmup session for race start practice (as the lads on teamspeak can tell), it is indeed very helpful. So, maybe instead of running a second warmup session, a simple adminly reminder to practice the start should be in place? Practicing the first lap (including start) during warmup (including trying different lines to corners) greatly helps take some of that "I don't know what I'm doing" feeling you get at race starts away. So maybe remind people about that, along with all the other reminders that usually follow. As for making it mandatory, I think that will demand too much work to monitor. Which brings us to the point of policing and penalties: We know that iRacing saftey rating is a great system to deter unsafe driving (in my opinion). Maybe a way to mimic that system here (for these events only I mean) would be to find a way (programming maybe) to go over the race .xml where all the contacts are listed ("driver X made contact with wall/driver Y"), and decide what kind of penalty to dish to the offending driver, regardless of any incident report filed by the victim of the incident. Maybe also keep track of a sort of safety rating, or something similar (all this done automatically by a program or something).

PS (@Mid-pack Jack ) - To put the Touring cars matter to rest (I knew when I wrote that line that it would be controversial, I thought I phrased it correctly enough, guess not) - I don't like the Touring cars because of the way they feel. That is my feeling, that is all. Sorry if you take offense for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oscar Hardwick

Oscar Hardwick
    RDTCC S9 Champion Premium Member

1) What is your preferable open wheeler? Formula Reiza / Formula Classic / CART

2) What suggestions do you have to make club races with these cars safer and more enjoyable? Maybe add some driver aids, particularly with the Reiza standard content (not incl. FVee and F3). No more than 50% distance races (Preferably 2x25% distance of respective series)

3) Any other comments you have in this general direction, good or bad. Do everything you can to encourage setup sharing from faster drivers and video lap guide to help those struggling improve and feel more comfortable in these cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson

It's fine Tal. No offense taken. Just seemed like you just wanted the club to cater for the fast boys only. I think I know what you mean. :)

I personally love the touring cars because they more managable and do indeed make for better races for us lesser skilled numpties. :thumbsup:

19. Slalom823

Slalom823
    RDTCC S10 Champion Premium Member

I have really enjoyed that we have had some f3 races lately, and the touring, both enjoyable even though quite different. If we decide to use faster open wheel I feel like allowing low aids could be something to consider. If I am slow and having trouble with say the v12 having low traction and abs can be helpful. On the other hand if I am the fast guy and I chose to have them off it doesn't really bother me if someone several places behind me has it on. It makes for a more competitive race. I suppose if someone is the fast guy it may be nicer if the other fast guys also choose to keep aids off.

Edit: @Nox on a separate note, thank you for doing everything that you do for the club!

20. Nox

Nox
    Staff Premium Member

For the very tough cars like the Formula Reiza and Extreme, perhaps the V12s, we'll probably have low assists. This is because we use them rarely and they are exceptionally tough. They're more of a special event than a normal club event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.