Would this server run sim racing?

I doubt it. First of all it won't fit into a datacenter rack with the size of the PC case, not to mention the OS.

Unless you wan't to use it for home hosting or something but then you must have a hell of a connection at home to have some proper results.

Looks like a rebranded gaming pc to me of which the videocard is stripped.

For a proper dedicated machine you must look for something like this
pegde_860_300.jpg

Upvote 0
I doubt it. First of all it won't fit into a datacenter rack with the size of the PC case, not to mention the OS.

Unless you wan't to use it for home hosting or something but then you must have a hell of a connection at home to have some proper results.

Looks like a rebranded gaming pc to me of which the videocard is stripped.

For a proper dedicated machine you must look for something like this
pegde_860_300.jpg
Cheers Bram, I do have 100mb connection at home with about 4-5mb upload speed. Whats this above? looks futuristic compared to the one i looked at. How much are they alot of money? Sorry don't know much about this stuff.

Upvote 0
Well, he's obviously interested in hosting it himself.

I've never hosted a racing server, but I don't think you'd have any problems with that. But better check the system requirements of the particular game you plan on hosting, just to be sure.

Upvote 0
I couldn't conclude from the opening post that it was for home hosting. If so, any pc with modern specs will do but just lower the expectations a bit on the results as it will be impossible to have the same kind of results as with a professional hosting plan.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I meant from my home. Basically the idea was to make a server for rf2 or whatever for mates/fellow Rd guys (If allowed). Pick a track car combo and leave it running without much effort for a week or whatever, Changing combo via a voting system for following event. Just for fun between RD events ect.
What do i want from a server? What should i expect. I used to set up my laptop with a server and play through my tower with mates, is this pretty much all this is? If so can i do the same with rf2
Specs of laptop are
i5 quad core
nvidea gt graphics (330m)
4gb ram
If its relevant i don't know.

Upvote 0
Combine this

Runs Best With
- 3.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or 3.0 GHz AMD Athlon II x2 or better
- 4GB RAM or more
- nVidia 250 GTS or ATI/AMD 4870 or better
- 512MB Video Memory or more
- Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit, Windows 7 64bit
- DirectX 9.0c (included with installer)
- 2008 C++ SP1 Runtimes (included with installer)
- 4GB Hard Drive Space or more
- Internet Connection
- Steering wheel and pedals
http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2features/

With this

Bandwidth:
96 Kbits/sec per user for server populations less than 10
256 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 10 and 20
768 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 20 and 30

While this is track and vehicle dependent a user can expect something close to these approximations on:

RAM use:
Approximately 200 MB per server instance for server populations less than 10
Approximately 300 MB per server instance for server populations between 10 and 20
Approximately 400 MB per server instance for server populations between 20 and 30

CPU Usage:
This is also dependent on the server population and number of AI drivers but we would account for at least 250 MHz per server instance and on modern CPU, for example if you have a 2.5 GHz dual core you can run 20 servers (10 per core, 10 * 250 Mhz = 2.5 GHz) on that CPU if you have other requirements mentioned above meet. Floating point unit required.
http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-dedicated-server-requirements-revealed

And you will come to an conclusion that you can run about 10 servers with a max of 10 ppl on each with what you currently have.

"Keep in mind that these values are general guide-lines, the requirements depend on the kind of tracks and cars as well as the number of users racing on the server."

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • More leagues

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Prizes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 16.7%