1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

[WIP MOD] Sunniva (open-wheeler)

Discussion in 'GT Legends' started by Knut Omdal Tveito, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

I've been working on a new mod for about a month now. This time it's an open-wheeler with a straight 4 engine.

I have made the engine architecture flexible so that a displacement of 1.2-2.0 l is possible. The gearbox is a transverse layout and the drivetrain is designed to cope with just over 450 hp so that I can use it in other applications. The final drive and gears 2-5 is positioned for easier access when changing ratios in the garage. Reverse and 1st will be a fixed ratio.

The engine, transaxle and some of the suspension is final, although I wish to make a new gearbox casing that is more integrated with the suspension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Small update. Installed the complete engine into the assembly and made some brake clutch components. In the picture below the "ball" attached to the planes marks the center of gravity. The mass, inertia and center of gravity is calculated from the geometry and density of 765 parts.

The current design indicate a front weight distribution of about 38 % which will probably increase towards 40 % when the car gets more complete.

[​IMG]

3. looking forward to this new mod knut. i still remember the epic race we had at spa with your previous mod.

4. Amazing work, so impressive! I look forward to the next installment!

5. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

As I posted elsewhere...

Top notch stuff mate :good:

Make it a 1.5 litre with about 200 - 230 bhp, and you're looking at something along the lines of F1 '65 specs :good:

eg [​IMG]

6. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Thanks guys. But these models are mostly used for simulations to achieve enough strength everywhere. It also allows me to determine the mass and inertia with a relative error of just ~0.001 %.

But sadly you wont see this detail in-game. It would require too many polygons. But I'll try to make a decent-looking model and try my best to make the suspension-movement look realistic.

Another thing I will implement in-game is rising-rate suspension. Of all the mods I've tried I've yet to see see this feature. Looking forward to see how it improves the ride.

EDIT. Thanks Stuart. I've modelled a 1.6l engine with a gas-dynamics code and I think its rated at ~218 hp. I intend to make more engines as well. If anyone want different engine characteristics I can also make custom exhaust/intake/cams to shape the torque curve to your needs.

Which mod is that Stuart? I'd like to hear that 1.5L v12 Honda!!!

7. As always mate, top notch work. Can't wait untill it hits the GTL club for its first event.

8. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

That is the GPL65 mod for, perhaps unsurprisingly, GPL. :D I preferred it to the standard 67 cars, to be honest.

They all sound superb - I think you can download the mod even if you don't have GPL, as the sound files are unpacked wavs.

The Ferrari is a V12 as well as the Honda, I liked the Lotus 33 myself, but I the BRM P261 was fantastic as well

9. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Haven't done any modeling today but did some simulations overnight. In this simulation I looked at the brake cooling. It was important to consider the rotation of the disc and wheel and that complicated the simulation. The total cpu-time was about 80 hours. Thank god for quad-core processors:D

Here you can see the pathlines of the air flowing around the car at 50 m/s:
    [​IMG]

Heatflux from the brake disc:
    [​IMG]

I ran 6 simulations and performed a best-fit calculation to suit the GTL parameters. As you can see the GTL method is adequate for representing this brake system:
    [​IMG]

10. I just cant understand this modding, it seems so complicated :D
    anyway, it is nice work so far and I am looking forward so much! :)

11. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

lol I guess its more complicated than it needs to be. I just solved 44'352'000'000 conservation equations to get two numbers:D

But I hate "guessing" values. There is too many people doing that already. I think Sam Simpson called it notepad-engineers once:D

12. Can you get GT Legends to display suspension arm movement? Some say you can't.

13. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

On my previous car I had suspension movement and it worked fine for that car. But it was a closed-wheel design. I'm not sure if it will work in cockpit view and that might cause problems for this car. Fingers crossed:)

14. You can get the front wheels to display by editing the plr file. When I say suspension arm movement I do just mean movement of the arms. Of course the wheels and tyres move up and down.

15. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

I know you you can display wheels in cockpit view by editing the .hdc file but I will have a look at the plr file as well. Thanks for the tip:good:

If what you heard is true, maybe this feature is not working i GTL. There is always rFactor if it doesn't work in GTL:)

16. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

I just had a go at it and your tip about the plr file worked great David! I got the wheels to show. The suspension works great in external view but I haven't managed to get it working in cockpit view yet.

17. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

I'm going test the brakes tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows a circuit that is very hard on the brakes? Any help appreciated

18. Rattlesnake I think

19. Hans Sneep

Hans Sneep
    Premium Member

Portland very bumpy,good to see the movement of the suspension.

Great work again Knut ,if I see the pictures I must think of GPLegends cars,something Stuart mention already,can't wait to see it running.

20. Knut, your attention to detail and painstaking approach to designing these mode ner cease to amaze me. I can't wait to drive this car!! I'm thinking a classic Monaco evening boys?