1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

[WiP] KI Carro

Discussion in 'GT Legends' started by Knut Omdal Tveito, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Been working on a car for GT Legends for about four weeks now. Thought I'd share some pictures and hopefully get some feedback along the way.

Progress has been a little on and off. Most productive when its :rain2:ing:) Took an awful lot of time just to understand the files and get the car working in GTLegends.

The car will hopefully end up as a lightweight, high-revving interpretation of 60s Targa Florio racer. (Picture1)

So far the goal is 600kg and somewhere in between 200 and 300hp @10500rpm.

Today and yesterday I made a front subframe, wishbones, bellcrank, springs and dampers, pullrods, brake and clutch master cylinders and pedals. The final configuration is showed in 2nd picture

Tomorrow I will hopefully work on the monocoque and make sure I fit inside:)

Attached Files:

2. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Got the monocoque pretty much ready earlier today. Aslo made some seats and two fueltanks. One tank placed behind the driver and one underneath his knees.

Next up is a front firewall, steering wheel, gearshifter and a rollover bar.

Attached Files:

3. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

i want your modelling skills. Look forward to seeing this :)

4. Kevin Ascher

Kevin Ascher
    #47 Roaring Pipes Maniacs

As far as I can see, this looks absolutely brilliant!

5. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Thanks guys!

These pictures are all made in a CAD software though. I have zero experience with Gimp and 3dSimed so I dont think it will look this good ingame...

Anyone know how I could get a V12 to fit in the back:rotfl:? :hammer::hammer::hammer:

6. Stuart Thomson

Stuart Thomson
    The Stoat Without Fear ™ Premium Member

Very impressive, Knut :good:

7. Hans Sneep

Hans Sneep
    Premium Member

They say :"With a spoon"

Kidding,very nice work Knut

Hans

8. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Did the gearshift, steering and front firewall. Also made a mockup V12 and it fits like a glove. Will have to design two sidepipes for each side plus two tailpipes:) Pictures coming as soon as the rear suspension is done...

One thing is for sure, it will be loud:drool:

Attached Files:

9. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

A little picture of a mockup tranny (no reverse yet). Also shows the finished internals. Weight-reduced as usual and fully balanced crankshaft

Attached Files:

10. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

The design of the engine is well underway. Already scrapped some designs (pic2-4):
    -2 layouts
    -3 trannys
    -4 engineblockdesigns
    -1 head design
    -piston, conrod design

The engine layout will now be:
    -a longitudinal V12 (because it actually fits:) and is lighter)
    -gearbox on the side f the engine near the cockpit
    -a middle axle going back to the diff

Cooling calculations are finished as well as valvetrain dynamic calculations

Today the engine dimensions are all ready. Pic 1 shows the torque and powa:)

275hp @ 10500
    195Nm @ 9200

The exhaust tuning has a 2nd order scavenge peak at 9500rpm.
    The inlet tuning has a 1st order ram peak at 8000rpm to extent the high-revs plateau down to 7500rpm. (BTW I hate flat torquecurves:))

Attached Files:

11. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Starting to realize time is passing too fast and I need to speed up! Started spitting out parts today. Not as good quality as I want to, but it has to be done:)

Two pics showing the finished head, block, valvetrain and cam gears. As you might observe the cams are not rotated as thay should and the crankcase is simplified:(

My computer is starting to struggle aswell. The head and block has some realy freaky features inside which require a lot of calculation. Plus, the engine you see here has 500 individual parts allready, the rest of the car about 250 parts. There's a reason I dont bother with nuts and bolts:)

Attached Files:

12. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Added pictures of the headers, gearbox and diff which I did today(Not good quality but realistic weight). I think the engine looks like a monster with the headers, like an octopus creature ready to eat you alive:)

I started making some sounds this morning aswell (first time I use an audio software). I uploaded a recording for anyone interrested: Carro.mp3

Attached Files:

13. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Finally some more progress:) I've started work with 3dsmax now and learning how to make textures (Difficult!) Pictures below show some of the engine and the wishbones. The suspension moves aswell, I really like that feature:)

EDIT: Added a picture of the body aswell. The rear bodywork will be seperate and act as a wing. If you knock it off you lose aerodynamic stability:poke:

Attached Files:

14. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Learned how to make the car skin-able today. I also managed to make some dummy dials to work and almost made the motec work.

Attached Files:

15. Keep it up Knut :)

16. Very impressive mate, keep up the good work :good:

17. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

I've finished the 3d modelling today:music2: To show off the models I did a very quick texture (15min) on a low-poly model. I've added mirrors, fastening for hood and trunk:) And inside there's 6 dials, 4 switches and some other details

EDIT: Added a black mamba. I like it in this color!

Attached Files:

18. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito
    Premium Member

Time for an update I guess:)

The car is complete now. Just gonna do some testing first to see if there is any issues I've overlooked. Been driving now for a couple of hours starting to create a default setup. Really fun to drive the complete car now:) You can imagine the grin round my face:giggle:

Here's some screens from a race at Monaco (first two are from Thermolite)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Tim Ling

Tim Ling
    It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work Premium Member

Well done Knut!

20. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Sign me up for the first events with this car Knut :)