Let's get back to normal now, how's my Transit coming along Gary:whistling:
Although I love the Tyrrel 34 six wheeler which I remember did make it into a rF1 mod some years ago.
Apologies wrong thread:redface:

You know who got impatient again and started messing around with the wrong version... instead of working those lights!
i actually found the solution, see below, no lights!

7mod_skin_jp.gif
That livery, so nice!

Oh no, i missed the show again.

Are tyres from the 420R Caterham photoshoot pack? The tyres in it are new barely if at all driven, quite shiny especially fronts. But it's the highest resolution of the ZZRs I know of, 1500x500px front tyre front view.
(and great job on the research as always!)

Tyres i redid the map from scratch in 3dsmax+photoshop :) so i could make one in 2048,(i'll send you a more recent package soonish)
and so it's easier to have access to outline and make nicer diffuse, normal map etc.
The shininess i think is from the use of products to make them more appealing in pictures! Tyre texture i use in ksEditor is the default settings i could find, haven't played much with it to be honest

i'm pretty happy with the result. (they need little tweaking, logo avon+zzr is too much on the outside, a scale will do)
7mod_170417_cup_01.jpg

7mod_170417_cup_02.jpg

but now the ZZR make the 1700 ones look bad!
acShowroom 2017-04-17 21-25-03-00.jpg

Oh no, i missed the show again.

(and great job on the research as always!)

Tyres i redid the map from scratch in 3dsmax+photoshop :) so i could make one in 2048,(i'll send you a more recent package soonish)
and so it's easier to have access to outline and make nicer diffuse, normal map etc.
The shininess i think is from the use of products to make them more appealing in pictures! Tyre texture i use in ksEditor is the default settings i could find, haven't played much with it to be honest

i'm pretty happy with the result. (they need little tweaking, logo avon+zzr is too much on the outside, a scale will do)
7mod_170417_cup_01.jpg

7mod_170417_cup_02.jpg

but now the ZZR make the 1700 ones look bad!
View attachment 186413

rotation direction is wrong on the Avon tyre texture :geek: Maybe you were tyred hehe

Anyone know how to setup asymmetric weights in AC let me know, such as LF/RF 145/155kg, LR/RR 165/155kg, I can't find any support for it in AC. As such L/R is symmetric and only F/R is supported, AC limited to F/R and total weight it seems.
As long as overall left/right is equal (in your example 310 left/310 right) you can do it by asymmetrically changing rod length in the setup. Make the corners you want extra weight on longer. I guess IRL that would happen cause they're not equal or the entire chassis is a bit offsquare.

As long as overall left/right is equal (in your example 310 left/310 right) you can do it by asymmetrically changing rod length in the setup. Make the corners you want extra weight on longer. I guess IRL that would happen cause they're not equal or the entire chassis is a bit offsquare.
Well better example where none are symmetric and how most real cars are as parts inside are not always centered nor is driver:
Code:
LF 145, 135 RF
LR 150, 140 RR

F/R 49.12 / 50.88%
L/R 51.75 / 48.25%
Rod lengths are set per axle not per wheel in car data files, sure in setup screen it's possible to mess it up asymmetric but data wise AC doesn't seem to support per wheel settings, only per axle. As such both sides on an axle have to be equal, in everything, be it suspension geometry, suspension type, tyres, all of it. It's a simplification that works for most cars but not all and it doesn't seem to support asymmetric (corner) weight distribution.

As such above example in AC will be like this and there seem to be no way around this limitation:
Code:
LF 140, 140 RF
LR 145, 145 RR

F/R 49.12 / 50.88%
L/R 50.00 / 50.00%
It's not a big deal with a 2000+kg car that is balanced to be around equal when driver is in it, but on a tiny 500kg Caterham the weight differences and driver placement has a noticeable effect and there is not much space to balance it either, this won't be seen in AC as L/R will be symmetric and driver placement also L/R symmetric as result. 75kg driver can make up to 13% total weight in a Caterham compared to 4.76% for a 1500kg car.

---

Also Ben mentioned there are some Caterham users/owners here on RD, if we have some lurking here please PM me your subjective comments about handling, don't forget to include what version + upgrades (rear ARB, dampers, springs) and tyres (type) do you have. I will use what I can when setting up the unknown values for baseline/default/stock-civil setups, and for verification.

---

Ben beware when fiddling with the tyres, they are not the same size as your 1700SS CR322s.
The ZZR(dry)/ZZS(wet) are 185/55/13 front, 215/55/13 rear and used on Rxxx, xxxR models, sometimes extra ordered or in an R package.
The 1700SS has 185/70/13 all around.

CR500 on road oriented versions tend to have 195/45/15 all around. Or something like that at least. Being replaced by ZZS as the standard tyre using the ZZR/ZZS sizes, maybe some folks use the 195/50/15 all around but it's quite recent to find info on it what people use and overall the 185/215 width is a better choice for all the higher powered Cats.

Slicks I've seen were 250mm diameter (loaded tyre) on 13" wheels, tiny.

Might want to model the different tyre sizes before doing texture ;)

Last edited:
Doing a default setup asymmetric wouldn't help? Just asking from ignorance
Setup.ini aka the car setup config doesn't have any default values, it only defines the GUI behavior and min/max limits for validation when entering track. All the default values on setup screen are taken from other data files. Plus rod length would be a bad attempt to define corner weight differences. There is nothing in the setup that allows for weight change other than fuel. Not even tyres, so if a real car has 2 sets of tyres+wheels one lighter and one heavier, AC can only do one weight for both.

Could you please tell me how you created that chrome look? It looks spot on! Shader settings + maps could be useful for me.
Ah that. @marcocale helped me achieve this effect! (thank you again :))
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wip-caterham.124687/page-5#post-2380483

And you can also find it in some of the AC cars.
It takes a txMaps inside a multiMap material
upload_2017-4-20_20-22-29.png

basically it uses pink in the _map to make it reflective, dark grey for metal effect and black for matte.
upload_2017-4-20_20-24-37.png

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Damn @Ben O'Bro -- I've never really been a big Caterham fan, but following the progress of this project has me itching to drive it in Assetto Corsa. The attention to detail is awesome. :)

Quickly, which cars would be great rivals for the model Caterham's being developed?

Damn @Ben O'Bro -- I've never really been a big Caterham fan, but following the progress of this project has me itching to drive it in Assetto Corsa. The attention to detail is awesome. :)

Quickly, which cars would be great rivals for the model Caterham's being developed?

hey thanks :) glad to convert people slowly :D (and moreover Gilmour's fan)

Hard to tell until we have final physics to do laptimes!

Using power ratio to compare now
The 1700ss has the same ratio than the alfa 4C or the Evora S, Boxter as well
upload_2017-4-20_21-21-15.png

It will probably be faster in 0-60 but then will quickly lack of speed; So really will depend on the track chosen. It's a quick car for small tracks!

Then the 420r has crazy ratio and so all the GT3 are here...
upload_2017-4-20_21-27-28.png

You can see on the videos online how quick is a Caterham on track compared to rather powerful cars. Mostly because other cars are harder to handle (ferrari etc.) but also the ratio is crazy.
I guess it could follow a 911 turbo or a 458 in some tracks, but will have to check that for sure!

The 620R should be fun too to compare!

But overall it will probably be a unique type, as it's very light, accelerate fast but don't do reach high speed. (+ little of sliding) Good for track day, or Caterham Cup races

Sweet...So there is going to be plenty of competition to run against the Caterhams. That's so good to hear. I am so appreciative of every car/track Kunos makes and every car/track you modders make...but my joy is 100 times greater when I know I can put those newly acquired cars onto a diverse track whether I'm racing or doing a track day via CM. Dammit. Now you made me even more excited about this car. :D :laugh:

The high power Caterhams are more or less competitors with KTM X Bow R, Ariel Atom and the like. Cats are often the lightest but they are kind of old, as such their aerodynamics is quite bad = low power engine + high drag = low top speed, it dies over 200km/h fast but you get to 200km/h from 0 in no time. Also CG isn't as low as Xbow, 211, Exige, relative to the wheel center as the cars are setup by default high to avoid destroying the sump, total CG height around Evora so far. Compared to all these engine in the Cat is FMR not RMR, making the car close to 50/50 in weight distrib. depending on how many doughnuts you eat before driving.

The lower power Cats are still fast due to power/weight but struggle even more with top speed.
On twisty roads you can terrorize 911s but on straights you're done.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 192 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.8%