1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wing angles

Discussion in 'F1 2012 - The Game' started by Karl Fuss, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

OK, So I have to say this whole wing angle thing is really disappointing in F1 2012.

I was touring around Austin the last couple days sorting out the racing line and working on a set up. Ended up with 9/9 wings and felt pretty good about it. Didn't set any stellar times, but that's been the norm for me with this game so far, so not unusual.

Last night i decided to try out the lower rear wing thing that i've been reading about. I lowered the rear to 3 and left everything else as it was. I was expecting to lose the balance of the car completely through the turns but nothing happened. I could take the high speed corners just as easily with 9/3 wings as i could with 9/9 wings :( What a big disappointment.

This little issue is starting to bug me more and more. Aero is such a big thing with an F1 car. How can you make a game that seems to have no effect on the car when you change something so important as wing angle?
  2. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

I know it's counter-intuitive, but I quite like it so far. I am so used to low front wing and high back wing (generally) in the previous releases, that I am finding this interesting.

Maybe because I dislike understeer, and prefer an bit of oversteer, it's working out ok for me. High front for turn-in, and a pretty low rear to make it a bit twitchy at the back.

They did announce that the back end was going to be a bit more stable, more planted, in this release, so it's not totally unexpected. Whether it is realistic or not, I'll let's others who know better decide, but I am adopting to it and liking it personally.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

F1 2011 low front wing and high back wing gives understeer right? :O_o:

I love so many things about the game so far. But this aero thing is perplexing. I have just heard that 1/1 wings offers even better grip, like the 11/11 spring thing before the patch in F1 2011. I haven't tested this myself yet, so can't comment, but have heard it form other members of my league so i trust their opinion.
    It still makes no sense to me though... lowering the wings should make you lose it all over the place.

4. Well, if that's the case, then it can't be the wings alone. For example, I have been playing the **** out of Silverstone recently. Running 5-5 wing.. My friend told me he has been running 1-1 in time trials, and it works brilliantly.. I used my setup for Silverstone, where I can lap around the 1:32's on primes. As soon as I change it to 1-1 I have no grip through the fast corners. Imo, if there is a slight bug, the aero has to match a certain suspension setup.. Try this set up

Wings 1-1
    Balance 11-11
    Suspension 4-4 11-11
    alignment top three all the way left, bottom one all the way to the right..

That is my friends setup.. I had a go using normal Silverstone settings, and the car wouldn't work at all. The above settings made a big difference, but I'm just not used to the car handling that way.
  5. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I haven't done any TT yet so i can't comment on the set ups there. I've only done a couple online session, a few quick races, and Melbourne in my career. What TT times did you get with your set up?
  6. I don't play on time trial, but I tried it in qual. Although, Montreal probably wasn't the best track to use as it's low downforce. I usually run everything fairly conservative.. 66 wing, 86 balance, 98 suspension stiffness

I just tried 1-1 wing, 11-11 balance - 22 ride height 1 front suspension 11 rear suspension and the alignment settings I posted above and was considerably faster. Will try a few more tracks shortly
  7. Hmm.. Think you could be right mate.. Imo, there is a set up bug. If you run the settings I listed above, you get unbelievable traction. You can run 1-1 if you want, and unfortunately it does work on high downforce tracks.. But, you can go even faster if you add a bit of wing. So, to clarify, the 1-1 wing only works if its couple with a setup that enables tremendous traction.. Pretty disappointing if you ask me
  8. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

It is annoying... not sure if it's the same in the wet yet or not.
    One of the things i love to do is test setups... i'll drive for hours in practice sorting out a consistent set up, but with this game it seems a lot of the factors have been taken away. Set wings low and springs high = speed regardless of corners.
    I'm not sure if CM are planing to change it in anyway with another patch... but i hope so.