Windows black in one car

Porsche from P&G mod. How to fix black windows?

pg_porsche.jpg

Is that the #60 - 906 ? Also what track ?

Just done a practice session at Anderstorp (because you start in a shaded pitbox) and the side glass looked fine, dark naturally but no problems once you pulled out onto pit road.

Usually when the windows are black like that it's because they are part of the Cockpit mesh with the SHADOWRECEIVER=TRUE tag, but the stock PnG 906 has a separate mesh for the cockpit windows without that tag.

I've also ran into an issue where a texture name on the track conflicted with one on a vehicle and caused the windows to be black.

The texture for the PnG 906 side windows is WINDOW_DIRT.DDS with the material name porsche_906_cockpit_window

Happens with any 906, any track.

But found the cause, though still need a workaround. Running GTR2/P&G (and GTL and rfactor) in DX8 mode causes this ... but if they run in DX9 mode there are occasional black screens for 4-5 seconds. Need to tweak the DDS for transparency in DX8.

This bug, among many others, is fixed in hq anniversary patch : you need both part1+part2 then, to fix specific PnG3, you need to run GTR2_SETUP.CMD in order to enable dedicated HQ PnG3 Anniv. Patch (option #1 patch with my physics or #2 patch with original PnG physics).

This bug, among many others, is fixed in hq anniversary patch : you need both part1+part2 then, to fix specific PnG3, you need to run GTR2_SETUP.CMD in order to enable dedicated HQ PnG3 Anniv. Patch (option #1 patch with my physics or #2 patch with original PnG physics).
Ah, but this is a massive "kitchen sink" mod; I prefer to cherry pick what goes in my game and install manually. Not a castigation, just personal preference.

Ah, but this is a massive "kitchen sink" mod; I prefer to cherry pick what goes in my game and install manually. Not a castigation, just personal preference.
When I started 7 years ago at nogripracing I released the patched one by one but from the moment I exceeded more than 10 patches I released one unique anniversary patch : today there are more than 200 patches in HQ Anniversary Patch (just notice that my changelog is not exhaustive as I did not write everything I did) so nobody on this earth would be able to install them one by one anymore and some patches require other patches to work so the only solution is what I did during 7 years by adding patches at each update in a single solid archive.
Moreover when I look at the downloads :
- hq patch part1 10800 DLs
- hq patch part2 3800 DLs
this means a lot on what most people can do : download and install only 1 archive, anything beyond is skipped so imagine 200 individual patches :D

When I started 7 years ago at nogripracing I released the patched one by one but from the moment I exceeded more than 10 patches I released one unique anniversary patch : today there are more than 200 patches in HQ Anniversary Patch (just notice that my changelog is not exhaustive as I did not write everything I did) so nobody on this earth would be able to install them one by one anymore and some patches require other patches to work so the only solution is what I did during 7 years by adding patches at each update in a single solid archive.
Moreover when I look at the downloads :
- hq patch part1 10800 DLs
- hq patch part2 3800 DLs
this means a lot on what most people can do : download and install only 1 archive, anything beyond is skipped so imagine 200 individual patches :D
Just my point, over 200 mods, patches, tweaks, updates, being installed at once. I scroll through the list and might like this but don't want that. "Imagine 200 individual patches..."? lol, I daresay most of us have installed at least that many over the years ...not counting all our personal tweaks (I doubt there's an aiw or talent file on my system I haven't manhandled).

But ultimately such a patch gives me your game, not mine.

Would it be too much trouble to at least test it
Why can't you use both ways, have just one folder for Anniversary

You said same thing about my GTR2 Essentials @ No Grip ..... .even though it gave you complete choice what mods to install and how and remove them all again in 1 click

Ridiculous how modders give GTR233 grief using decade old mods especially when he improves them , fixes bugs etc. Just like he has for Power&Glory including the very bug you mention, I would have thought you would want to fix that window ? ;)

Last edited:
Would it be too much trouble to at least test it
Why can't you use both ways, have just one folder for Anniversary

You said same thing about my GTR2 Essentials @ No Grip ..... .even though it gave you complete choice what mods to install and how and remove them all again in 1 click

Ridiculous how modders give GTR233 grief using decade old mods especially when he improves them , fixes bugs etc. Just like he has for Power&Glory including the very bug you mention, I would have thought you would want to fix that window ? ;)
I never gave him grief. Just expressing my preference for not using "kitchen sink" mods in any game; as stated, using such a mod gives me "your" game not "mine". Do not equate preference with valuation.

And, fwiw, the window issue was resolved with a single gmt file which altered transparencies (something entirely beyond my knowledge).

As for your mod, if you recall my comments were as much about nomenclature as anything else; "essential" by definition means GTR2 would not run without these files. Beyond that I never denounced your mod, only stated it wasn't for me. Again, merely personal preference.

"You can't argue with success." Your mod, as well as GTR233's, have been quite popular; doesn't that say more than one old geezer who prefers not to use either.

Lol, you flatter me. But, ftr, I think both mods are fine, just neither is my "cup of tea".

As for another GTR2 install to try them, I am currently pruning back all my sims, removing mods and tracks that I rarely, if ever, use (a process akin to trying to thin the contents of my bookcases); I hate Monaco, never race on it, yet have it in six sims. Consolidating a dozen assorted GT mods into one "World GT" series, classes based solely on performance at a couple of test tracks. Removing one GTL install entirely.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 17.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 7 5.6%