Windows 8

Just FYI, if this doesn't work out, it's possible and perfectly legal to install Windows 7 on your new PC using a Windows 8 Pro license key; this so-called "Downgrade Right" is part of the W8 EULA.
I've already done so with two new PC's at work, where we really have no use for W8.

Bear in mind though, that this is only legal if your new PC comes with a (more expensive) Windows 8 PRO license.

Yes you always can, but it will only be legal if:
- Your Windows 8 Pro license is a full OEM or Retail license (NOT the cheap upgrade license as.. why would you wanna downgrade an upgrade license, right?:laugh:)
- Both your Windows 8 Pro license and Windows 7 disc are 64-bit ( both 32 bit would work too but on a new PC I would not recommend 32-bit W8)

This way you can install Windows 7 Professional (or Windows Vista Business should you wish to).
Don't worry, W7 Pro has everything W7 Home Premium has, including Media Center (despite many people falsly claiming it hasn't)

On the other hand, you should have no trouble buying a new computer with a Windows 7 license for at least the next 6 months or so. Just ask at the computer store. If you tell them Windows 8 is a dealbreaker, they will supply W7 100% sure.;)

On the other hand, you should have no trouble buying a new computer with a Windows 7 license for at least the next 6 months or so. Just ask at the computer store. If you tell them Windows 8 is a dealbreaker, they will supply W7 100% sure.;)

My daughter just bought a new PC, it was to be supplied with Win 8, but she requested Win 7 and they agreed. She is very happy with the result. :)

TBH, I've never found the "Windows Upgrade Assistant" to be much use. The main issue with GTL to Vista, 7 and I assume 8 will be the stupid Starforce anti-piracy rubbish, which isn't included in the digital version anyway.
Simon's test will tell all anyway :thumbsup:

Well, everything is working as normal so far. Backed up my GameData and UserData folders, fresh installed digital GTL onto Win8 and dropped my backups in without a hitch. G25 and T500RS shifter drivers worked straight off as well. Can see the lobby online, will race Tuesday night with the Win8 version to be sure nothing flakes out.

As a side note, I actually quite like it, took me about 10 minutes to work my way around it but, providing everything goes well, will replace Win7.

Simon Bacon,thanks Simon for the update I have the disc version but I use a different method of installing, I have one good install an use this one to clone new installs so I have a league install an a test install,with this method I don't have to remove Starforce traces every time!
Glad it works Simon give one thing less to worry about !

Too be honest, I never had a problem with Vista apart from the sheer size of the thing once it had been patched and updated. 7 started to bloat a bit as well.

As for 8, well, I quite like the Metro thing - boot up, one big button says GTL, click and away you go:D Switching between that and desktop is pretty painless, the lack of a 'Start' button hasn't really been an issue in terms of navigating. And despite all the interweb's doom-merchant advice I'm still running the same slight over clocks and Crossfire without any issues so far (Beta drivers just for the extra thrill:))

Tuesday night will be the acid test but so far, pretty impressed.

haha Warren, I used to have XP as well and never had any real reason to switch. It just so happened that the PC my brother sold me very cheaply already had vista in there and I gave it a go. Will probably run it until it starts giving me some kind of trouble. But so far it runs like a tank.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%