F1 2013 windows 8.1

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
hi guys,since installing 8.1 F1 stopped working so tried reinstalling and now have the message
'cannot initialise graphics:directX 10 or 11 support required.
any ideas?

Well that was about 6 hours I won't get back, thank you Microsoft.

1st boot after install when there is data to enter, USB keyboard not working. I had to dig out and use an old one (Once finally into Windows I could fix the original keyboard)

Please read my current config files, is Windows set to automatically download and install updates? ....... no ...... so leave my config alone and just boot.

'We're installing new Windows 8 apps' ..... really? Well don't, I don't use them, they're awful. Tell me which ones and why. Let me choose.

Oh I have to sign in now, no choice. Thanks for that, I use a long and complicated password. Yes, you can change it later for a pin number, but no option to boot into Windows directly in the account management. There could be a way around it, but I would have to go searching, because I don't want to be signed into Microsoft 24/7.

Oh that frigging keyboard language toolbar is back in the system tray. How did i get rid of it last time? Why did you put it back? Read my old registry settings and learn you bunch of twerps (nicest word I could think of).

At this stage, I might of had to do a few tweaks, assuming all my games work correctly, I could put up with it.

The nail in the coffin ..... the integrated HD4000 graphic chip in my CPU doesn't work anymore. None of the new, or the various old Intel drivers allowed it to work. Wave bye bye to your 2nd desktop screen. Sure I saw the odd flash on boot sometimes, the desktop even moved over to the 2nd screen for a few seconds during boot, then moved back to the primary screen, but then the secondary screen switches off, and Windows doesn't see it anymore ..... nada ..... goodbye.

I could plug the screen into my crossfired HD7970's, but that would defeat the object of having the 2nd screen running off the integrated Intel iGPU.

The iGPU normally runs the second screen because of the way AMD cards save power by underclocking. They clock back the GPU to 300hz and the memory to 150hz, to run cool, save power, because you are just using the 2D desktop. Plug in a 2nd screen (whether it's switched on or not), the GPU only drops to 500hz and the memory stays at full clock speed. Less savings, more heat, with the cards idling 10 degrees hotter.

This is why I use the iGPU for one of the desktop screens. You can still extend the desktop over both screens, but now the AMD cards will clock down.

After trying everything I know, I got fed up with it, and re-installed 8.0 by copying my backup image back to the drive, so now it's like it never happened, it was just a bad dream .......:sleep:

I'll check back in a few months ..... and re-consider again. But for now Windows 8.1 can ...... <choose you own expletive here>

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1801733809825219662

Steam Client Beta Update - November 25th
26. November - alfred
We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

Steam
  • Fixed zero-byte updates for games with shared content right after startup
  • Fixed cloud sync error when re-launching game right after game exited
  • Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some DX10/11 games on Windows 8.1
Big Picture
  • Don't allow text selection on labels created by the dropdown control
  • Fixed All Games dropdown not showing custom categories correctly when selected

Thank you. It works now. :) Codies support is terrible. Why can't they just say they are dealing the problem with steam...rather than keep a tight lip.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1801733809825219662

Steam Client Beta Update - November 25th
26. November - alfred
We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

Steam
  • Fixed zero-byte updates for games with shared content right after startup
  • Fixed cloud sync error when re-launching game right after game exited
  • Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some DX10/11 games on Windows 8.1
Big Picture
  • Don't allow text selection on labels created by the dropdown control
  • Fixed All Games dropdown not showing custom categories correctly when selected

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back