Windows 10 update has reduced my fps by over 60%

My PC just had a big Windows 10 update (i was already using windows 10 - this is just some update they're rolling out these days).

Before the update I'd be getting 90 to 100 fps with 19 or 20 cars on track. after this update, I'm now getting 30 or 40 fps. I've checked through all the video settings in game: nothing has changed.

I've updated my Geforce drivers. I reconfigured SLI after the update and got that back to how it was before.

I have two GTX 780s and triples.

Has anyone got a clue what the fix is? I'm a bit desperate.

Andy, I don't think you can update for free now. I think that option finished some months ago.

For the record I have used every version of Windows. I've had no problem with 8.1 and 10 for functionality and usability but I'm not planning to install the creators update until they sort out all of the issues.

Andy, I don't think you can update for free now. I think that option finished some months ago.

For the record I have used every version of Windows. I've had no problem with 8.1 and 10 for functionality and usability but I'm not planning to install the creators update until they sort out all of the issues.
I too have had no problems with Win 10, and I also have the Creators update. I run many racing sims like AC, AMS, pCARS, rF2, R3E, Dirt Rally, F1 2006, and a few others like Wreakfest, Forza Apex, Forza Horizon 3, and GTA 5 . I also run DCS World (flight sim). I also use many addons like SimVibe, TrackIR, DashMeterPro, RacePad, Roccat PowerGrid and a few others. Maybe I'm just lucky, but everything performs fine without any issues. I've got the Creators update also on two of my laptops but I don't use those for gaming. What does this mean, not much to those that have run into problems, but there must be one or more variables that interfere (computer configs, hardware compatibility, or ???) for some gamers.
It's good to know if others have problems as a comparison may help arrive at a solution but also knowing that others don't have problems I hope is a help.

I've had hardware compatibility issues with Win 10 (mobo usb is bad, official drivers don't help, so periodically the OS decides to reconnect devices on some ports) but other than that it's pretty much the equal of 7. And really I can't expect too much support for my 2012 cpu/mobo on a 2015 OS.

That option did, but there is another option and is supplied by Microsoft. If I want to upgrade to Win 10 I can still do so. Legit too.:thumbsup: I am dithering because I have some older games/simulation stuff that will not work under 10 but does under 7.

Interesting find, after Creator's update Fanatec driver had problems recognizing my wheel and when i did get it to recognize it, FPS was impacted. So went ahead and removed driver and then reapplied, FPS went back up. Not saying it's a global fix for everyone but seems that the driver had some issues and I did see an increase in performance booting up now too (2-3 second differential).

Another issue that's common and becoming more evident is that people with performance issues only looked at their Video drivers. Look at ALL drivers, chipset especially, sound, everything, especially if you're one of those folks still on their "upgraded" installation from Win 7/8.

Also verify your drives (SSD's) have latest firmware upgrades (that means you people with Samsung SSD's, you can use their utility to optimize and upgrade firmware, really easy). This has been seen to improve performance for some people with OCZ, Corsair, Samsung, etc. Also make sure windows 10 has been optimizing your drives properly, and if you were using an application similar to Auslogics before or even present, make sure it's updated at least or fully removed if you don't use it more.

Those still on your upgraded installs of Win 7/8, it might be time to reformat and do a clean install of Win 10, you'll benefit the most from boot times and game load times. This comes from removing deprecated drivers left over that maybe causing issues. It's not suggested to use driver cleaning utilities as these are usually loaded with malware or bloatware in free versions. You can use utilities like DISM and other Microsoft utilities to remove deprecated drivers and devices, but in that case it might be easier to reformat.

Another tip is to minimize what's firing up in the background and what applications that have not been updated and verified to work with Windows 10 can cause performance hits. Especially when they are in your start up. After 1511, and even 1607 and 1703, this is becoming more of an issue in terms of performance. Verify your apps and start up items, even if it was compatibile...compatibile is not same as optimized.

Hope this helps as these have been tried and true tips that helped with optimizing AC, ArmA, and a few other games seen to be impacted by performance hits.

OK, but in what way is Win 10 better? And why would Win 7 feel obsolete? I am just interested because I was thinking of doing the free upgrade to Win 10 but now I am not too sure. My Windows 7 does everything I need and I never have any problems with it and I have my desktop spruced up and clean and tidy.

Speaking as someone who loves Win 7 and was opposed to W10 from the get go... I made the switch about 6 months ago when I was getting a new SSD. Since I was reinstalling everything from scratch, it made sense to just go to W10.

I can confirm that, for me, W10 is in no way better than Win 7. For me, it does not do a single thing better than Win 7 did. Performance was actually worse on many of the games I play, as well as benchmarking programs. I dont care for the UI and usability 'improvements.' The auto-updates are wonderful!!1!!1 The black screen I get when starting my PC and getting to my desktop is a new feature I quite enjoy. And the random bugs where my old programs or accessories dont work as they should are a delight. :)

About the only thing I can objectively say is better, is the shut down, and boot up times. I previously had an SSD with Win 7 on it (this new SSD was just bigger capacity), and with W10, it is lightning fast. ~20s from the time I push the button to the time my desktop appears. And this accounts for the POST time, and my password input.

If you have the option.... Win 7 is still the way to go. DX12 support/performance is still worse than DX11 in just about every game that supports it, and likely will be for quite some time. XB integration is garbage and meaningless for 99% of people. And whatever other benefits people can come up with arent good enough reason to switch imo.

That option did, but there is another option and is supplied by Microsoft. If I want to upgrade to Win 10 I can still do so. Legit too.:thumbsup:

If you are referring to upgrading via the 'accessibility' method, you dont need to do that.

Just take your existing Win 7 serial, and plop that in when you install W10 when it asks for a serial to authorize. Your Win 7 serial will be valid and give you an authentic licensed copy of the new OS.

Just take your existing Win 7 serial, and plop that in when you install W10 when it asks for a serial to authorize. Your Win 7 serial will be valid and give you an authentic licensed copy of the new OS.

While that maybe true for those that allocated the free upgrade when it was out, it will not do it for most after the fact. I can attest in just about all real world examples that if this key was not associated previously, you don't automatically get the upgrade for free.

Also worth mentioning, if you change motherboards and have not associated the license with a Live ID you will go through hell with MS support trying to get that associated to new hardware. Now with your example above this is where it comes in hand, once again because it has already been associated with an upgrade.

Now there's something to be said with support moving forward, it has been stated by both Intel and AMD that future hardware will stop having support for Windows 7 & 8. I don't think this has started with AM4 and LGA 2011v3, but rest assured if they are saying it's going to happen this will be in the very near future.

While that maybe true for those that allocated the free upgrade when it was out, it will not do it for most after the fact. I can attest in just about all real world examples that if this key was not associated previously, you don't automatically get the upgrade for free.

I mean, it's true if you are using a copy of Win 7 that already has an activated serial. You just take that serial and plop it into the authorization screen of W10. Then voila, authorized copy of W10 is yours. :p

Microsoft hasnt shut down this upgrade method to my knowledge.

Im not saying you can go out there and buy a Win 7 key and use that right now to upgrade to W10. No idea if that would work.

If you have the option.... Win 7 is still the way to go. DX12 support/performance is still worse than DX11 in just about every game that supports it, and likely will be for quite some time. XB integration is garbage and meaningless for 99% of people. And whatever other benefits people can come up with arent good enough reason to switch imo.

Thank you. I'll give it a miss.
And yes for others info, the 'accessibility' option is still a go for me if I wanted Win 10. But I shan't be bothered as they say in Yorkshire.

I loved Win 7 but for me I found the update to Win 10 easy and everything I play runs faster in terms of fps and just how it all operates in general. I was fully prepared and actually expected to uninstall Win10 and go back to Win7 when I installed 12months ago. I thought it would be slower and cumbersome but exactly the opposite has been true. I only ever race in VR if that makes a difference because the Oculus software together with Win10 is optimised for VR. But if others find Win7 is faster that sounds odd, anyway Horses for courses I guess !

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back