Win 7 ultimate and HD5770

Having problems getting my HD5770 to work with my recent OS upgrade to win 7 ultimate 64.

It was working perfectly in XP 32 bit, and it's taken 2 days to not get it to work yet.

I get the error message "catalyst command line interface is not working", amongst others.

Im losing patience now, should I just get a new Gpu? Any recommendations that will 100% work with win 7?

The 5770 works with Win7 64. Now you say you upgraded your OS. Is it a fresh install or an upgrade from XP to Win7? If you did an upgrade and not a fresh install you are most likely having driver compatibly issues as you went from a x86 OS to a x64 OS.

The first thing I would try is updating your drivers to the most current version and make sure you choose the correct OS when you download. Make sure you uninstall the current drivers first. After you install restart you PC.

Upvote 0
It's an upgrade licence - but a fresh install as there's no direct upgrade path from xp to 7.

I have Removed my windows.old folder and cleaned the ATI/AMD drivers out and I installed latest from amd site fresh several times but no joy for me.

The card works as such - in getting a screen output from it, but can't open catalyst to configure my displays.

Upvote 0
And you are certain you have downloaded the right drivers (for Win7 64bit not 32bit)?
What I´d test in your case is this;
Download a fresh copy of the latest drivers from your GFX card vendors website or AMDs website if they have none.
Uninstall the drivers you´ve installed from control panel.
Remove the device using Device Manager (you sound like this should make sense, if it doesn´t then let me know and I´ll go into further detail).
Downlad the driver sweeper from http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Reboot to safemode with network and run the driversweeper
Reboot to normal mode and install the driver you downloaded earlier.

If this doesn´t fix it, you are prob better off reinstalling Windows than troubleshooting any further, it´s like looking for a needle in the haystack, or buying a new GFX card. Preferrably a Nvidia card as you most likely won´t have any issues with conflicting drivers.
A couple of months back the GTX 560Ti was the best bang for the buck card you could get, might have changed lately due to the introduction of Nvidias new series of cards but I honestly don´t know.
Personally I swore to not ever buying another ATI/AMD GFX card after having my 5770 due to issues I ran into with that card and previous ATI cards I´ve owned. This is a highly personal preference though as friends of mine who work with building PCs are sticking by ATI/AMD cards because they think they offer better performance per "dollar" than Nvidia cards. I just happen to feel otherwise based on personal experience :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 154 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing