Williams to Run Renault engines from 2012

Back to the good times, too bad its not a works deal.

I wonder if they will run an old school livery for next year?

Williams has announced that it will use Renault engines from the 2012 season, in a renewal of the partnership that dominated Formula 1 for much of the 1990s. The initial deal is for 2012 and 2013, with an option to continue when the new rules are introduced in 2014.
Renault previously supplied Williams with factory engines from 1989 to 1997 in a collaboration that delivered four drivers' and five constructors' titles. The team is currently using Cosworth engines.
Team principal Frank Williams said he was extremely happy to reunite with Renault given their past successes together - but that both parties were now looking to an equally strong future.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92843

We often hear something about Williams' imminent return to the front of grand prix racing, but it never amounts to anything.

Could be good move for Williams in the long run with the 2nd Turbo Era around the corner.

Renault were the first to use turbos in F1 though they never were world champions with a Turbo engine.

But it means Williams will have a turbo unit for 2013 & will be able to get the inside line on developement.

But is Renaults own team staying ?

Cosworth is not what it was back in the good old days,was not the last car to win a World championship crown a Benertton Ford in 94.

Though I am not 100 % on that & have missed a lot of F1 since 2003.

So will Honda make a Turbo Era come back maybe not.

I suppose it gives them more time with a stronger engine supplier to sort out the new design before the 2014 engines come in.

I don't see it changing an awful lot though. Sure Team Lotus are easily quicker than Virgin and Hispania this year, but I'm sure there's some GP2 cars that are quicker than Virgin and Hispania! (kidding)

On a side note, did anyone catch whatshisname at the launch?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14027440.stm
Damn that guy's a tool. Seriously, this is one of the most exciting seasons in a long while (well, maybe not in the standings, but on track) except for maybe Valencia (which is never exciting) and that has-been goes and thrashes it. I think he's spent a bit too much time in NASCAR and can't enjoy real racing anymore.

This is great! If they have a Newey-like aerodynamicist, they could be back to their '90s glory.

On the other note, I would watch F1 more religiously if BMW came back as an engine supplier. :bcar:

I've fairly new to F1 (09, nothing to do with Button(heh)) but from what I've seen/read JV won one of the more boring/forgettable WDC's so with that in mind that interview sounds quite bitter. To be honest, forgetting that entirely he does come over rather effeminate. Edit: didn't he just get a grid application rejected (for the second time?) too?

Though I do agree with the observation that the DRS promotes overtaking on the straight rather than the braking zones, but still some of the best action this year has had nothing to do with DRS what so ever.

From 1992 to 1997(argubly 1991 as well) the Williams was the best car on the Grid, and it won the majority of titles between then, problem was they lacked a decent driver line up for quite a few of those seasons and thats basically the reason they didn't get all the titles, the Williams-Renault combination in the 90s was probably the best ever.

Damn that guy's a tool. Seriously, this is one of the most exciting seasons in a long while (well, maybe not in the standings, but on track) except for maybe Valencia (which is never exciting) and that has-been goes and thrashes it. I think he's spent a bit too much time in NASCAR and can't enjoy real racing anymore.

We see things from a spectators point of view. JV see's thing from the drivers point of view. The current drivers can't really say anything because the FIA will have them for bringing the sport into disrepute. But imagine what Schumacher must have wanted to say after being beaten in Montreal, not by Webber, or by Red Bull, but by DRS. I, personally like DRS, it has made things more exciting, but then I'm not so sure excitement is at the forefront of a drivers mind.

although i dont agree with JV saying it's a "borefest" , the excitement so far has me hooked for my first season :D, he does have a point when he says to stop penalizing the drivers for stupid stuff and just let them race. i personally hate penalty for "agressive position defense" or whatever it's called. i'm all for driver safety but let them do their job!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 243 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 121 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 226 14.0%