Will F1 be far from Concept or near science fiction decades from now?

First off, let me tell some backstory about how our grandparents, or, my peers grandparents envisioned the 21st century; I know you'll be thinking, "What the hell?!", but, it will convey my point.

You know how our grandparents envisioned a high-tech society with so much promise and utopia, kind of like the universe of that Japanese cartoon, Astro Boy or that American cartoon, The Jetsons?

You know how we back when we were kids, we conceptualised technology as awesome rather than gimmicky?

Well, human culture had the same feelings towards the highest pinnacle of motorsport. All the technology of past would be further developed into modern marvels of spectacle; where driving upside-down would no longer be theoretical, but, reality.

Do you think the banning of past technologies that increase cornering g-force will make the F1 seem primitive compared to prototype cars?

Do you think, say in 2050 (I'm just coming up with a random year), F1's appeal will be cliche like the iPod or the Wii?

This is one of the silliest threads I've made but, I have a feeling F1 won't evolve into a 21st century science fiction marvel where cars can go ~400-450 km/h and still keep the driver safe in an accident or have tracks that have upside-down sectors.

I don't think F1 will ever be pushing the sci-fi borders. The closest (imo) we ever got to see teams push everything to the edge was during the V10 era where speeds were rising and track records were falling.

The FIA has to keep costs in consideration when setting the rules, so unless they have a change in philosophy I doubt we will ever truly see F1 be the place to see the latest in technology anytime in the near future. Even now, the teams push really hard with what they're allowed to do and not anything more.

Prototype cars are just that, rough drafts of what can be accomplished with everything pushed to the limit but to even produce one costs millions.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 275 13.5%