Wider, faster F1 cars for 2017 teased in new video

There are other racing categories for that ... F1 cars are supposed be the fastest cars around the track! and there are people who watch F1 just for that, they want to see how fast a car can go around the circuit. Honestly, i prefer watching two drivers going side by side flat in a high speed corner, than Ericsson struggling to keep his car on track!

GP2 cars have huge downforce too, but races are much more enjoyable because everyone has the same car basically, so i think if they manage to reduce gaps between F1 teams (costs, flexible regulations), races will become more intense, regardless what levels of downforce or grip they have!

But the cost reductions will never happen.Reducing would involve reducing development, and probably one standardised engine.So you might as well go and watch gp2.Because all the big teams will pull out and that's the end of F1.F1 is bogged down with the "pinnacle of motorsport tag".The technology is actually making it boring.The thrill for me is the drivers competing to beat each other,not watching the cars going round faster than any car in history.

A big indicator of peoples thinking,is the growth of historic F1 races.F1 cars that look different to each other and sound different to each other.

F1 has always been about innovation and advancement, and that was a thrill in itself at one time.Seeing what Colin Chapman or Gordon Murray would come up with next.And they did most of it with paper and pencil and brilliant engineering. Now we have computers that tell engineers what to create.
And the rich teams have the money to put it into action.
I'd just be as happy seeing these drivers race each other in gp2.

Adrian Newey still uses paper and pencil ... but there are certain calculations/machining processes that can't be achieved without computers!
It's the lack of competitivity that is killing F1 right now, we even accepted that there are top teams/midfield teams and backmarkers which is really sad.
But, anyway! big teams want this F1 complexity, just to keep small teams away from the top! Actually, you really can build a fast F1 car with small budget if regulations were not there! but that's too risky for top teams, as they could be beaten in those conditions and that may harm their reputation and therefore their car sales! A Ferrari that is beaten by a Mercedes is not as harmful as a Ferrari that is beaten by Chuck&Sons crew ... just saying.

Who can do what Sir Williams did by the past nowadays ? i guess no one!

Adrian Newey still uses paper and pencil ... but there are certain calculations/machining processes that can't be achieved without computers!
It's the lack of competitivity that is killing F1 right now, we even accepted that there are top teams/midfield teams and backmarkers which is really sad.
But, anyway! big teams want this F1 complexity, just to keep small teams away from the top! Actually, you really can build a fast F1 car with small budget if regulations were not there! but that's too risky for top teams, as they could be beaten in those conditions and that may harm their reputation and therefore their car sales! A Ferrari that is beaten by a Mercedes is not as harmful as a Ferrari that is beaten by Chuck&Sons crew ... just saying.

Who can do what Sir Williams did by the past nowadays ? i guess no one!
And that's the crux of it,no team can come in and hope to be competitive without spending humongous amounts of money.Its got itself in a puddle of s*** and it hasn't got the shoes for it.I'd love to see what they come up with next,because IMO I think it will be poor.

I don't think what ever they decide will bring us competitive racing.And if they can't do that then let them have immense power and not to much downforce. If they increase the downforce too much,it will increase fuel consumption and they would be in danger of running out of fuel
And we all know what that means,yes more fuel saving in the race.So they may be 6 seconds quicker than the current cars in qualy,but not much quicker in the race itself.And before you say increase the amount they can use,Mercedes,Renault and Honda will battle until the death to keep it at the current level.

It's actually a misbelieve that 100kg of fuel are less, that are 130l after all!
Even between 2010 to 2013 some drivers had problems with their fuel, as the teams may miscalculated and filled in to less for the race distance (very common in Monaco, since it's very likely that a SC could deploy).
The teams are restricted to 100kg petrol per race, but never use that much fuel due to that weight of every extra liter.

I'd just wish that the wooden planks and the steps get removed (just a simple flat bottom). this would force the teams to mount magnesium plates under the car, to protect the underground (like until 1993) and that the fuel flow limit get's removed.

I seriously prefer to watch high-end cars going fast around the track over any restrictions to make the races more interesting. What right have the fans to complain? It's a sport, not a show. Indeed I bet that the usual complains just caused this mess of rules we have now.

What right have the fans to complain? It's a sport, not a show.

Who's the sport for? The fans. Yeesh.

Since F1 can't even exist without the fans via their viewership, their fandom, and the advertizing dollars that come with it its pretty obvious that F1 serves at the leisure of the fans' attention.

F1 has always been about guided innovation within the rules. If we can change the rules and impede the tech to create better safety why can't we demand it do the same for competition? Why even bother with other cars on the track of its just about the fastest car? Why not just make F1 into competitive hot lapping? Oh because then it wouldn't be racing and it'd be boring and nobody would watch and so there'd be no money to fund F1.

Who's the sport for? The fans. Yeesh.

Since F1 can't even exist without the fans via their viewership, their fandom, and the advertizing dollars that come with it its pretty obvious that F1 serves at the leisure of the fans' attention.

F1 has always been about guided innovation within the rules. If we can change the rules and impede the tech to create better safety why can't we demand it do the same for competition? Why even bother with other cars on the track of its just about the fastest car? Why not just make F1 into competitive hot lapping? Oh because then it wouldn't be racing and it'd be boring and nobody would watch and so there'd be no money to fund F1.
Very well said mate.:thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years