Wider, faster F1 cars for 2017 teased in new video

Oh, I don't mind DRS, I just mind the current ruleset. The issue with it is that it is an "overtake button" and not a "Go faster button". If an F1 pilot is allowed to use DRS at any time he wishes I bet nobody would have a problem with it (especially because that means faster cars ;) )
Pretty much, but won't happen so they should get rid of it. I noticed 2 cars with DRS on get side by side a lot easier than 2 with it off. But seems like people in F1 don't mind it at all. Hate to see a great potential battle over before half of a straight because of this stupid gimmick. Feels like afree pass ticket in many times. Specially when it's a Mercedes engine against any other :cry:

@P*Funk read my comment again. I guess you didn't understand it.

I don't care about how fast Formula1 cars are around a circuit. I do, however, care about on track racing. In my opinion they should focus on reducing the effect aero has on performance and reintroduce the importance of mechanical grip. Too much focus is put on aero grip, and when that happens cars in a train struggle to follow each other and stay close.

I love F1, I've watched F1 since 2003 and when they introduced the new engines in 2014 I wasn't bothered at all. I don't watch F1 to see drivers and cars going breakneck speeds around a circuit and I don't watch F1 in order to hear screaming engines powering prototype machines. I watch F1 to see one team and driver beat the other. The way they achieve that is pretty much irrelevant provided they actually achieve it. Don't, however, take that statement as an admission that I feel nothing must be done to the current formula. More must be done to reduce the performance difference between the teams and increase on track overtaking, and I feel that the best way to do that, as I've stated above, is to reduce aero grip and increase mechanical grip.

At the end of the day which do you want? Close on track racing with excitement and plenty of overtaking? Or an increadible display, or for a better term, feat of engineering excellence? You can only have one, and choosing one or the other will either increase or decrease unnassisted ontrack overtaking.

P.S. the author of the video failed to include the possibility of 18 inch wheels being introduced alongside Michelin.

I don't think that these changes will make huge differences technically. They're doing this to stop people saying "hey! bring back the sound!".
Cars were really ugly last year but they're ok now in my opinion.

Wider and longer sidepods would be enough for me just like 2008. I mean it creates a huge visual difference when the rear tyre is a bit closed. Again, I have no idea if it's technically suitable for these cars.
Sounds like an expert to me

As I said in another topic, I see 3 elements in a race: driver, car and track. They only focus on car changes and other rules like pit rules and etc, but forget about the tracks. Some of the changes made to old tracks and a lot of the new ones just plain suck, they are boring and repetitive tracks. Hungaroring was cool because it is a slow and techinal place to drive.
These car changes can make tracks like Monaco be cool again, because this place requires a lot of mechanical grip and we'll never have another cool race in Monaco until these cars are made to have a lot of that. Of course, better tyres would help also. These tyres were not made to F1 cars.

Alonso said that nowadays the F1 drivers are more like airplane pilots than race drivers.

Also, You hear about tires being destroyed by following another car. So they have to slow down and maintain a gap. Make them on the limit of durability so they can be close enough to race and pass, but still have to manage laptimes if they opt for a single set for the entire race. It could help the lower echelon teams as well.
They could still require mandatory pit stops for refueling or tires or snacks :coffee:

Getting so tired of all these rule changes. Just set a fixed budget per team per year and get rid of the rules entirely and let the teams and manufactures sort it out.

Wanna bet the outcome will be awesome to watch.

I don't care about how fast Formula1 cars are around a circuit. I do, however, care about on track racing. In my opinion they should focus on reducing the effect aero has on performance and reintroduce the importance of mechanical grip. Too much focus is put on aero grip, and when that happens cars in a train struggle to follow each other and stay close.

I love F1, I've watched F1 since 2003 and when they introduced the new engines in 2014 I wasn't bothered at all. I don't watch F1 to see drivers and cars going breakneck speeds around a circuit and I don't watch F1 in order to hear screaming engines powering prototype machines. I watch F1 to see one team and driver beat the other. The way they achieve that is pretty much irrelevant provided they actually achieve it. Don't, however, take that statement as an admission that I feel nothing must be done to the current formula. More must be done to reduce the performance difference between the teams and increase on track overtaking, and I feel that the best way to do that, as I've stated above, is to reduce aero grip and increase mechanical grip.

At the end of the day which do you want? Close on track racing with excitement and plenty of overtaking? Or an increadible display, or for a better term, feat of engineering excellence? You can only have one, and choosing one or the other will either increase or decrease unnassisted ontrack overtaking.

P.S. the author of the video failed to include the possibility of 18 inch wheels being introduced alongside Michelin.
Reducing aero would definetely help drivers battle each other without losing too much grip, but
I fear that mechanical grip is very heavily and strictly restricted. It would be awesome if
they allowed teams to programme their engines the way they want, not to mention the entire tyre issue.

As I said in another topic, I see 3 elements in a race: driver, car and track. They only focus on car changes and other rules like pit rules and etc, but forget about the tracks. Some of the changes made to old tracks and a lot of the new ones just plain suck, they are boring and repetitive tracks. Hungaroring was cool because it is a slow and techinal place to drive.
These car changes can make tracks like Monaco be cool again, because this place requires a lot of mechanical grip and we'll never have another cool race in Monaco until these cars are made to have a lot of that. Of course, better tyres would help also. These tyres were not made to F1 cars.

Alonso said that nowadays the F1 drivers are more like airplane pilots than race drivers.
Curious enough those tracks actually are good for any other series but F1 don't "go well" on them. That's why the focus is on the cars.

Curious enough those tracks actually are good for any other series but F1 don't "go well" on them. That's why the focus is on the cars.

Not curious at all man. F1 is a completely different category from any other one, therefore it should need adequate tracks. Imola for example, it was one of the coolest tracks ever, than it was modified so much that it became one of the most boring.
They changed everything in Formula 1 so it could be safer and adequate to all that "green self-sustained" thing, and now they got a boring racing category. So the tracks are boring and the cars too.
But we saw at Hungaroring that you don't need a fast track to have a good race (this is the slowest permanent track in F1), but it has to demand technique and a lot of talent to drive, that's one of true F1 tracks.

So, if you ask me: should the cars change? Yes, they should, but we'll keep having these changes every 2 or 3 years since they don't care about the other element: tracks.

Longer diffuser and lower rear wing will definetely reduce dirty air effect! looking good :)
On a sidenote, i don't see how reducing aero would make racing better ... other than just making cars slow! i don't get the logic behind especially when we are talking about F1!

I believe with more downforce, drivers will be more confident and will push cars to the limit!

Do the cars need to still be that long? I thought they went longer due to having to store max fuel onboard, so technically the cars could revert to being shorter?

If we want the cars to look like pre-2009 cars, then the cars should be shorter, not longer to start with. Lower rear wing is a decent addition and looks like the rear wings of old, though who knows how similar the real deal will look in comparison to this graphic? Otherwise, the additions overall are ok, though there are other aspects that also need to be looked at e.g. Sound and Speed. :)

Only thing that is left is, allow refueling, remove fuel limit per race, give team free choice for tyre at any time, remove KERS/TERS or whatever it is, and finally, either remove DRS or allow its use for everyone, not only when behind a car. Oh and do not forget to bring back those V10/V12.

IMO they don't need to make them faster,they need to make them more difficult to drive.We don't need more downforce.The current car's have less downforce than 10 years ago and look way better on track,they are far more twitchy.You wouldn't need DRS if you made the front and rear wings less complex,slip streaming would come back into the equation and also not kill the following car's tyre's.If anything they need to reduce downforce give them 1000 BHP and give them 20kg of more fuel per race,and also make them LOUDER!.People forget that 10 years ago the racing was not all that,they just sounded fantastic and were lightning quick.Surely we want the racing to improve and not just be cosmeticly better.Check out some of the F1 races from the 70's on youtube.Very little downforce and loads of power(for the time),the racing was a lot closer.

Longer diffuser and lower rear wing will definetely reduce dirty air effect! looking good :)
On a sidenote, i don't see how reducing aero would make racing better ... other than just making cars slow! i don't get the logic behind especially when we are talking about F1!

I believe with more downforce, drivers will be more confident and will push cars to the limit!
Less down force equals more difficultly for the driver.This means he has to manage breaking and acceleration much better. And this also brings driver error into play.More down force equals boredom,the cars going around the track as if on rails,boooorrrrriiinngg.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%