Why I don't race in iRacing anymore...

Sad but true. I have not raced in iRacing for weeks now (only try it every now and then maybe I change my mind).

Reason? Well, for some reason I cannot find grip in most cars and it seems that the cars never want to stop when I brake.

I can be quite fast in rFactor 2, nKPro and GCS2012 for example. True, first few laps, there is no grip as well, but then, especially in rF2, the car is glued to the road when the rubber is laid.

I can immerse very easily in rF2 and the car stops when I want and I know how much to push in corners. In iRacing, the car keep going out and out of the corner and the braking, I don't know, I cannot get the right feeling.

Am I doing something wrong in iRacing? Do you guys have the same experiece or its just me???

:(

I nearly gave up as well for the same reasons, I could not come to Terms with the FFB

I will leave the field of view alone as I run a tri screen setup, for me the biggest issue with adjusting to iracing was what I thought was a lack of grip, both on turn in and under power. After chatting to some fellow racers after a race, I was directed to a post ion the forums.

with a base line setup, I was able to gain 5-6 secs a lap, and had the car under control. How ?

buy reading this thread http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1500238.page

on my g27 i run

In the game controler settings ( windows or logitech )

ROTATION 900

FFB 105 %

Spring effect 0 % ( iracing dont use see the forum post)
Damper effect 100% ( yes 100 %)

center spring not checked and @ 0 %

in the app.ini file in C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\iRacing (windows)

change 2 lines in the misc section.

steeringFFBBaseOffset=0.000000

to
steeringFFBBaseOffset=0.100000

and change

steeringFFBLinearForce=0

to
steeringFFBLinearForce=1

in game run 15-20 ffb strength (i run 15 on oval and 20 for road)

I know this aint the norm, but that post was made by an iracing staff member, and it works. even with baseline setups in the rookie cars, you will gain massive amounts of time in both oval and road cars.

This how ever does not stop the idiot factor, Im waiting for someone to find a way to fix that, casue the irating system dont do it lol

I've tried Jorge's and Bowens tips at the links they provided and the FFB remained the same.

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I set an iRacing profile like shown in image, then I fire iracing from the web...is that correct? FFB is very weak and I didn't seem a difference. Wheel is very soft and FFB is faint.

Could it be that its not picking up the profile settings?

PS: Jorge, Yes, my G25 is fitted with the GTEYE spring (http://www.virtualr.net/gteye-logitech-break-pedal-springs) and I am very happy with it :)

7988129199_72b470df84_b.jpg

7988129631_b5367985ef_c.jpg

Mizzi ... if you read carefull the link i send you its all there .... the overall spring strenght should be setted to 100% and not 105% ... the software to calibrate the force clipping is also explained in the link .... the changes you have to make in the app.ini file ... the way you choose ffb to every different car ... with steeringFFBLinearForce=1 the FFB streght have to be higher then normal ... you just have to read it all and follow every steps ... it explains how and why you have to do it in a sceintific way and not just because someone thinks should be like that .... every G25 engine feels different depending how much time you are using it ... so every wheel needs different calibration and different settings in FFB ... you just have to spend some time reading, testing and working on it and not just take some tips from different drivers that will not fit in you wheel

One more thing ... you have the "Brake Force Curve Factor" to 0 ... that is ok for load cell brakes but with springs it will make your wheels block very fast ... i have mine setted to 3 with the mustang ... but once again you have to test it and see what feel better for you and the car you are driving

I thought the settings were strange at first as well, as the normal settings as most of your know change from game to game, sim to sim, but those settings do work, I mainly race ovals in iracing, and i can assure you it makes driving on ovals much smoother, you are able to hold the lines without the tell tail rookie weave and wobble, i did find though as your saw in my other post that I personally like slightly lower ffb on ovals, but i know some people who actually use the full 40 strength when road racing with the settings i posted for in game and the game control settings.

My only other tip would be slow down, head out and do some laps, then just when you think you have done enough, do another 100 or so . It does take some time to get your muscles reprogrammed to new ffb settings, but once you get used to it again Im sure you will enjoy iracing some more :)

Maybe I am doing something wrong. I set an iRacing profile like shown in image, then I fire iracing from the web...is that correct? FFB is very weak and I didn't seem a difference. Wheel is very soft and FFB is faint.

Could it be that its not picking up the profile settings?

I set those settings as my global settings as I was unable to get the iracing to sync with it suing the profiler ( i use the profiles for all my other sims anyway so it changes from sim to sim )

Thanks Bowen. I have tried all the tips you guys suggested and the FFB remained the same. I also set it to 40 (from 20) and the difference was very small. I also tried specific and global profiler.

Maybe FFB in iRacing is much lower than other sims and I have to get used to that.

The thing is, for example, I jumped in rFactor 2 and am among the fastest, or at least quite close to the fastest (like 0.5 to 1 sec away). It's like I got the right feeling straight away and I could brake and push to the limit.

Even in nKPro, I could go quite fast with little practice. Bought GSC2012 recently and was quite fast in the mini too.

But in iRacing, after a year, I am like 4 seconds or sometimes 6 seconds slower. And these are on tracks which I know very very well, like mid-ohio and sebring. I honestly think that the cars in iRacing are much different than the ones I usually use in other sims, that is, I do not know how to drive iracing cars, I think, that is why I am slow. But even in for example the MX5, I am slow! Like lots of seconds slow. Weird. Maybe iracing cars need a different racing style which I have never tried before and not my style.

I think I will wait for other cars to come out and see how it goes.

Thanks all for your help!

Cheers
Stefan

Usually yes, but for me i only have 1800. that´s nothing compared to other drivers and i´m a safe driver.

But iRating doesn't measure how safe you are, that is SR.

Of course to boost your iR up you have to finish races in top positions and to achieve that you have to be safe, but being safe doesn't guarantee you to have high irating.

When you have +2500 iRating, one DNF costs you around -100 irating (specially if the other's iRating is low), while to score +100 irating you need to achieve 3 top five finishes in a good SOF (average of everybody's iRating) which is harder to achieve.

So no wrecker can have, let's say, more than 2000 iRating.

EXAMPLE:

This week I had this:

Race 1 - Computer chrashed, DNF, -98 iRating
Race 2 - Engine blew, DNF, -108 iRating
Race 3 - Disconnection -29 iRating (I managed to reconnect and finish on mid pack)
Race 4 - Position 2 of 3 (multiclass), +3 iRating
Race 5 - Position 2 of 3 (multiclass), +16 iRating

Winning a TOP split (against aliens with +3500 iRating) with my iRating would give me back that 100 points, but that is almost impossible while a DNF is not :)

So to recover what I've lost because of technical problems, it will take me weeks of clean and quite fast racing, as I went from +2800 to +2600 iRating.

I have tried all the tips you guys suggested and the FFB remained the same. I also set it to 40 (from 20) and the difference was very small

Maybe FFB in iRacing is much lower than other sims and I have to get used to that.

Post here the results you got from the FFB Test tool, the changes you made in app.ini file and also the results from Atlas (wheel_force.wbk file). With those we can see if there is something wrong in your wheel settings or if you just need to get use to iRacing.

Higher iRating means generally a safer driver because most incidents end up in either several positions lost or simply game over.

This is true. In last 2 weeks i jumped from 1100 irating to 2100 (+1000) .... suprisingly (or not) i also jumped from 2.3 SR Class C to 4.5 SR Class B ... and all that just because i start driving much more consistently and carefull finishing most of the times in top 5 with very few incidents.

Post here the results you got from the FFB Test tool, the changes you made in app.ini file and also the results from Atlas (wheel_force.wbk file). With those we can see if there is something wrong in your wheel settings or if you just need to get use to iRacing.

OK, I'll do it when my wife stops whining....

So, here are two videos, one from iRacing MX5 and the other from rF2 Clio, both at Sebring. I know they are totally different cars, but just to show how I feel

As one can see, with the Clio I am very confident, pushing the car to the limit, doing little mistakes and correct them easily. I can brake to the limit too, without loosing the car and staying in line. It's not a perfect lap, but it's fast I think.

With the MX5, I cannot go to the limit, if I do mistake, its hard for me to correct and I brake earlier as otherwise I'l loose the car. OK, I did a mistake in last corner and lost 1.5 secs but I am still around 4 secs slow.

It looks like you are trying to drive the Mazda in the same way as you do the Clio.
And driving the iR track in the same way you do the Rfactor one.

One thing i noticed straight away is that you are not getting everything out of the car just in terms of going straight, you seem to shift a little bit to early.

I don´t have any video of the full circuit but here´s a lap from Sebring Club.
It´s 2 tenths away from the WR so should work as a respectable time.

As one can see, with the Clio I am very confident, pushing the car to the limit, doing little mistakes and correct them easily. I can brake to the limit too, without loosing the car and staying in line. It's not a perfect lap, but it's fast I think.

With the MX5, I cannot go to the limit, if I do mistake, its hard for me to correct and I brake earlier as otherwise I'l loose the car. OK, I did a mistake in last corner and lost 1.5 secs but I am still around 4 secs slow.

If you keep comparing iRacing to rF2 and you expect iRacing cars to handle the same way in rF2 just forget it ...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 183 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 183 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 135 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 242 13.6%