F1 2011 Why does the screen shakes?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
The screen shakes to let you know you're in the slipstream.

It's not doing that to let you know you will get a tad more speed, it is doing that to let you know you will have reduced front end grip. This is due to the "dirty air" coming off of the car in front. It is doing a lot of work moving air across it and therefore creates a turbulent area behind it. Since you are traveling in that turbulent area the camera (your head) shakes. Your car will have less front grip because the air it is driving into is not a as homogeneous as when there isn't a car in front of you.

The spray coming off the cars in the rain illustrates this dirty air quite well.

If you are using wheel/pedals, there's a bug which disables the slipstream effect. There is a strange fix and that is to set a deadzone in your brake pedal to 2% or more and ... hey presto! Slipstream works.

Big thanks to plucka for that tip. I'm loving it.

I use 0% for brake pedal and still get the shake screen. Does that mean slipstream still works? I also noticed I'm a bit faster when in slipstream.

And yes, the screen shakes when I am behind someone, after paying more attention when it happens.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back