Why Automobilista has outdated graphics?!

Seriously guys, i would lovely buy this game and i know it's amazing! But the graphics engine is outdated as hell... It's something like 15-20 years old but with higher quality textures.. It destroys any kind of immersion.... :-(

I'm not trying to say we're not missing stuff graphically, we are. But I don't think the gap is as big as some make out. At least not on the new content.

Kjpak1Q.jpg

CrEV2hQVMAANPUH.jpg

As I posted once in Reiza forums about this (to make it clear, this is directed to some guys in previous page):
"If Reiza directed 100% of their focus to graphics now and keep their physics as it is at this moment it's not like Angelina Jolie would visit Reiza dressed as Maleficent and say "your physics shall become poop" you know... games that has good graphics and poor physics are made to be like that.
I don't really understand where the sense of good graphics equal to bad physics come from, especially when AMS physics are so good.... really people...."

@Alex Sawczuk while it's "close" in a pic when you are actually playing the game it makes a lot of difference. Tho I think P CARS visual (without the overdone stuff) should be more the focus as even on low to medium settings it can look better than AMS or rF2 on full and despite not getting a ton of fps the variation is smaller even on conditions like rain and/or night + headlights :)
Specially the environment... stuff like P CARS transition from guard rail to grass, sand, asphalt is just far ahead than all other racing games out there, IMO. It gives a much better feeling when you are on the track. I hope Reiza will get there in their next sim, hopefully UE4 (and Vulkan :p)

Last edited:
As I posted once in Reiza forums about this
"If Reiza directed 100% of their focus to graphics now and keep their physics as it is at this moment it's not like Angelina Jolie would visit Reiza dressed as Maleficent and say "your physics shall become poop" you know... games that has good graphics and poor physics are made to be like that.
I don't really understand where the sense of good graphics equal to bad physics come from, especially when AMS physics are so good.... really people...."

It's not as simple as re-directing focus. Writing a 3D engine for a modern game is quite a hard task, it's not something you give to the average programmer with a few years experience, so it's likely they don't have anyone hired with that skill. Also they can't just put the physics guy (Niels) doing the graphics part, nor do the content artist guys do graphics engine coding.

It's not as simple as re-directing focus. Writing a 3D engine for a modern game is quite a hard task, it's not something you give to the average programmer with a few years experience, so it's likely they don't have anyone hired with that skill. Also they can't just put the physics guy (Niels) doing the graphics part, nor do the content artist guys do graphics engine coding.
Are you serious? I hope not.... you really didn't get the comment, did you?

Well to begin with I´d reforce Alex´s position that the criticism about graphics is often way overblown. The engine is unquestionably dated and lacks modern resources, but there´s more to looks than just that.

This is standard rFactor (from 10 years ago):
MCH_S_BrandHatch.jpg

This is Race07:
252574109.jpg

This is AMS:
AMS_Mini_Curitiba.jpg

All things considered - engine, models, textures, shaders - its graphics are as far beyond the standard of 10 years ago as it is from the standard of modern games - kind of something in between. I´d give it a 7 myself, but I may be biased :p

The point stands though that graphics is not AMS´ winning attribute - it was never conceived to be, as it simply wasn´t an achievable goal for us for this year on the development path we have been on for a couple of years now. AMS was conceived to score a few 10´s or thereabouts in key areas and have graphics still good enough to make it all-around competitive amongst its peers for sim racers. It satisfies our user base and bring enough new people in today to fuel further development, including updating the graphics engine for tomorrow - something that´s hard to do if we don´t have a competitive product out there doing business. More importantly, it exists as is because it satisfies ourselves like nothing else - if that wasn´t the case, I can assure we would have moved on by now.

There are people like the OP which rely a bit more on graphics to immerse themselves in the experience - nothing wrong with that, some brains are wired that way. Others can get past these limitations the minute they start driving, and find that on that front it delivers something they may not find elsewhere. And while it´s fully expected the package as a whole will not appeal to everyone, it would be a shame for any sim racing enthusiast not to give it a go first before making his call - a lot of people still get surprised by what they get once they get past these initial preconceptions. Get it, take it for a spin, and if it doesn´t do it for you get a refund. It´s an easy life being a gamer these days :)

Last edited:
I think the problem is, as beautiful as the graphics are, they just don't look realistic. There's a lot of primary colours.

LFS runs probably an older engine, but looks more realistic than AMS due to their handling of light.

Their sunset version of Rockingham is outstanding.

I think the problem is, as beautiful as the graphics are, they just don't look realistic. There's a lot of primary colours.

LFS runs probably an older engine, but looks more realistic than AMS due to their handling of light.

Their sunset version of Rockingham is outstanding.

sounds interesting. could u please elaborate on that?

Graphics are very nice considering the engine limitations. If anything is missing, it would be even more detailed cars and tracks, but with IIRC AMS already has problems with crashes when the content is brought up to par to something like newer releases (not enough memory on 32bit engine).

The only change I would make, if the above limitation is impossible to fix under reasonable time/resource constraint, would be adding some kind of alternative post processing filter for people to affect the colour pallet. I love how colourful AMS is but quite often Im under the impression that colours are oversaturated just a touch. An option to adjust that would be all I personally need in terms of pure graphical presentation.

sounds interesting. could u please elaborate on that?
Take this screenshot

AMS_Mini_Curitiba.jpg

There's a very primary red in the car, a primary blue in the sky and a primary yellow in the curbing.

Primary colours don't exist in real life, they are always a few shades at least off primary.

That's what makes it unrealistic.

None of these colours should be in AMS:

primarycolors.gif

How many primary colours do you see here:
910_acs_2014_01_18_13_57_48_01.jpg

I contend that and I'm pretty sure it's completely the opposite. They look indeed very realistic! But simply not as pretty compared to some other sims and games that employ hollywood effects or rays of light from Vallhalla. Perception is everything. :thumbsup:

Look at my post above. You are talking rubbish, Light rays and haze are not what AMS lacks, it is realistic colours.

A simple fix.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing