F1 2010 Why am I not winning races? A few questions from an old timer...

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi all

I'm new here, so go easy ;) I just wanted to ask a few questions. Apologies if they have been covered before. Seems like a friendly forum for this great game.

I'm of an age where I can recall playing Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix on an Atari ST (eighteen years ago!) virtually of all my waking hours, meticulously tweaking and noting down car set ups, completing literally dozens and dozens of laps prior to qualifying each race (The car and team colour schemes back then were crude, but were clearly of Mansell, Hill and a young whipper snapper called Schumacher ha ha!)

These days, I've got kids and work and so my time gaming is limited - a few hours a week at best *cry* Thanks very much to all those who have taken the time to post car set ups - I've been where you are and I've not the time to do it now, so thanks :)

A few questions if I may:

1. Starting team - I'm with Virgin - I presume you can't just step into a Red Bull or a Ferrari? You have to earn your way to those teams?

2. As above, I presume you cannot effectively expect to qualify on the front grid, given your starting team / car is techinically not as good as the front runners?

3. Am I right in thinking as you progress you 'unlock' technical advances, which make your car faster? How long does this take?

I appreciate you reading, and thank you in advance for any replies. Happy racing!

Thanks Stephen!

Regarding the R&D in practice sessions - I'm already at Instanbul in the racing calendar - I've not seen any R&D prompts or anything. When do these opportunities kick in, do you know?

Thanks again for the clarifications :)

PS: I may well reduce the AI for the time being - didn't realise you could do that - guess I was too eager to get racing and missed that :)

EDIT: Where do I adjust the AI? I've looked in options but can't see it?

I havent got that far yet MagicEvie, but I read that you have to be beating your team mate and they decide the no1 driver about half way through the season based on results against them. after that if you are number one you get the development jobs.

I havent got that far yet MagicEvie, but I read that you have to be beating your team mate and they decide the no1 driver about half way through the season based on results against them. after that if you are number one you get the development jobs.

I had two or three development goals, if those are the "beat the target laptime" things. I only did 3 or 4 races, so definitely wasn't the #1 driver, or even near the half of the season. I did beat my team mate every time though.

Thanks Stephen!

Regarding the R&D in practice sessions - I'm already at Instanbul in the racing calendar - I've not seen any R&D prompts or anything. When do these opportunities kick in, do you know?

Thanks again for the clarifications :)

PS: I may well reduce the AI for the time being - didn't realise you could do that - guess I was too eager to get racing and missed that :)

EDIT: Where do I adjust the AI? I've looked in options but can't see it?
The engineer usually says something like "okay we got a performance run to do" when the practice session loads, go to the engineer tab and select r&d and it will give you a time to beat and tell you what the upgrade is. Its not every race you get one more like every other the first one is austraila or china. your doing Carreer mode right ? to adjust the a.i select carreer> pract/qual/race>difficulty level>ai difficulty level move left/right to change.

Hi there welcome to the forum don't feel to silly about asking questions, silly or not,

There is a lot of info available about this game already, use tge search box at the top right of the page before starting a new topic. You will dig up some treasured like this:

R&d info 1 http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/40873-newbie-question-r-d-screen.html
R&d info 2 http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/41071-practice-sessions.html

Race winning info http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/41036-how-do-you-win.html

Starting new topics adds confusion for other new users With multiple repeat topics and information not all in one place.

Have fun.

Thanks for the welcome, James Chant. Point taken regarding dupilcate threads, no worries. Thanks too for the links.

I have one last question - Can I just clarify the below quote from Stephen Armstrong? I am in a career -I think - But when I go to my trailer the race is saying its No.1 at Sakhir (?) I haven't seen the AI options you mention below - Do you set them at the very start of making a profile? Thanks very much for your help, I do appreciate it :)

Perhaps I should start a new profile and career and I will see these options you mention?

your doing Carreer mode right ? to adjust the a.i select carreer> pract/qual/race>difficulty level>ai difficulty level move left/right to change.

As long as you haven't already started Sakhir, the options for AI are right at the bottom in the difficulty options (past the bottom of the list, its not on view at first) - this is where your AI settings are, I beleive you can only change it before you first start the race weekend, otherwise it's a wait til melbourne, or start career again!

question on similar lines,

1. Is there a possibility to skip a particular track in career mode? i really dont like to drive singapore and monte carlo i want to just by-pass these two tracks.
2. what type of upgrades do you get?
3.can that upgrade be applied to even online MP mode.

question on similar lines,

1. Is there a possibility to skip a particular track in career mode? i really dont like to drive singapore and monte carlo i want to just by-pass these two tracks.
2. what type of upgrades do you get?
3.can that upgrade be applied to even online MP mode.
1 Yes - skip to the next session - look in the menu past the engineer to the right (during the weekend) when you get to race - retire straight away.

2: mainly aero, but also brakes size / pressure / wear, throttle maps and engine wear.

3: they are all enabled in online racing and time trial - you have all the upgrades as default in these modes.

Could you reiterate the second point, you mean all the upgrades you mentioned apart from the ingame settings we currently have. Like for example , when you say aero, what additonal upgrades you get with aero compared to current front and rear setting from 1 to 10. Are there additonal options we get. could you give an example.

Thanks.

The aero upgrades do not offer you any changeable options in the setup menus. They just generally give you better performance in better overall stability and mechanicl grip.

All of the user changeable upgrades are available to play with in online play, and your aero is at peak performance.

Well, I've started a new career, followed the advice and finished 11th at Bahrain - significantly better than I was doing previously. I was running individual GP's and not a career as I thought. I'm quite pleased. Gutted when in 3rd place I was called in to pit for tyres though! Thanks for all the help, much appreciated :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%