Who will take Webber's seat in 2014?

If Kimi goes to RBR, with the new rules, cars and everything in 2014, he could battle Vettel wheel-to-wheel.

...but my prediction can be horribly wrong in next year.

Seb has said he has no problems with Kimi joining the team in 2014. Interesting.

Especially knowing that when things get close, Seb will be given every advantage and Kimi will be required to play second fiddle through team orders.
His main concern would be whether Kimi is prepared to "obey". If he didn't, they could always botch his pitstops. ;)

I also hope that RBR use their plan to develop their top drivers through the TR support team. They have two promising young candidates in Ricciardo and Vergne, lets hope they give them the opportunity. They did that with Vettel, so no reason to suspect they'll not give them a go.
Besides, I'm not sure Kimi isn't happy with Lotus, they are developing well and he should be very competitive there next year.

Ricciardo will get Webber's seat in 2014, though it will be sad to see another great Australian race driver being "second fiddle" to Vettel.

For me, there are only 2 choices. Raikkonen or Di Resta. Raikkonen would be the best choice but considering how Lotus Renault are improving over the last couple of years, he might choose to stay there until they get to a championship contending position, similar to Alonso in the early '00s or Button's long stay at Honda. It worked out for Alonso well, getting him 2 championships and semi-worked out for Button in 2009 with Brawn GP.

So really, the realistic option is Di Resta for me. He's a very mature driver for a driver of his experience. He's quite consistent and relatively quick so he would be the best choice to support Vettel in 2014 and possibly contend for the title himself in 2015. He's just boring but so was Alain Prost and he won 4 championships in some of the most competitive years of F1 with the likes of Senna, Mansell and Piquet ;)

100% sure it's gonna be Kimi. Two the most interesting drivers of the F1 world in the same team is going to be awesome. Can't wait next year.

Only several wins in coming races and championship title could keep Kimi in Lotus imo.

I would prefer Kimi to stay at Lotus, but if he does move to Red Bull, at least he can take points off of Vettel and vice-versa

Firstly my compliments to Kyle for a very well wrtiien opening post/article.

I agree that if a Red Bull driver program "graduate" isnt selected it aint much of of a university from which to graduate.

I find it interesting to see that Helmut Markos' recent comments (needing a driver who is willing to do much simulator work and engage very thoroughly with the engineers) essentially is crafting the job profile to suit "his boys". Its certainly not Kimi he is discussing!
That aside it's an interesting one to try to rate comparatively:
Hulkenberg, Di Resta and Ricciardo.
Has Perez lost his shine now?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline