Who is the most under- and overrated driver in F1?

Most underrated is LH The man is in a different league to everyone else

Is this the same Lewis Hamilton who crashed into Valtteri Bottas during yesterday's Grand Prix in Brazil knocking the Finn out of the race and ruining his own race? I actually think Lewis Hamilton is a very good driver, but if he was this "In a different League" driver as you claim, he wouldn't be crashing into other drivers. It was a racing incident, so I do not seek to slam the Brit too much. But to claim he is in some league all by himself? Sure anything you say. Not ... :inlove:

Is this the same Lewis Hamilton who crashed into Valtteri Bottas during yesterday's Grand Prix in Brazil knocking the Finn out of the race and ruining his own race? I actually think Lewis Hamilton is a very good driver, but if he was this "In a different League" driver as you claim, he wouldn't be crashing into other drivers. It was a racing incident, so I do not seek to slam the Brit too much. But to claim he is in some league all by himself? Sure anything you say. Not ... :inlove:

That wasnt LH fault, it was the car behinds fault and the fact you see it has being LH fault prooves to me your not worth listening to.......
The man came from behind lewis did not see him he was looking at the apex for the next corner, its the driver behind to make sure he dont make contact with the car infront, Allso there was space left he was not pushed of the track..
Did he honestly think he could overtake lewis on the outside on that corner, seriously...
He put himself in that posistion knowing the dangers being in a blind side of lewises view.
Poor drivinig from the man who came off.

Simple fact is you put SV in any ANY other car his chances of winning another race is pretty much zero.

Last edited:
Underrated: Hmm a tough one, I think I'll have to go with Alonso on this one. I don't like the guy, but clearly he can take a piece of s**t car and go faster than anybody else, I think what he has achieved in this years championship is pretty damn impressive considering what a dung he has been driving.

Overrated: Easy pick for me, Seb Vettel, the guy's got talent no doubt, and I think he's fully capable of winning races in other cars as opposed to some others, but IMO there are several other drivers on the grid who would have performed equally good given the same conditions. But it's all just speculation, short of seeing the list of Top Gears "Star in a reasonably priced car" I don't think we'll ever see them compete head to head on equal terms again.

The only fact is that a 4 times in a row world champion has nothing to prove to you.

If a driver puts an absolutely flawless, almost perfect season and wins the last eight races, it is ridiculous to vote him the most overrated driver in Formula One with the likes of Maldonado and Chilton around. The fact that Vettel sits in the best car on the grid makes him a worse driver? He has constantly improved in the last seasons, usually out qualifies Webber, has enormous race craft, manages his tyres well and has hardly made ANY mistake this year.

Keep in mind that people voting for him as the most overrated does not equal them saying he's the worst driver.
As I said in my previous post, the guy is a talented driver, no arguing that, he wouldn't be 4 time WC in ANY car if he weren't a great driver. But I don't consider him the driving god that a lot of people make him sound. He's got a great package, a team that makes him fast, a designer who has won more WC titles than any driver. I think if you'd put him in Massas Ferrari you wouldn't see him beating Alonso by a second per lap. But it's kind of a pointless argument to have, since we'll never know the truth for sure. :)

To me I think with a topic like this it can go both ways in hurry.

My thoughts,
e.g
Williams Team last year 2012 we saw Pastor Maldonado was able to mix it up with the top teams showing he was capable at time to hold is own P1 Qualifying/Race win Spain, what happen to this year 2013 season did he lost form maybe/maybe not but I bet last years car package was much better than the current one well maybe since the exhaust layout changes that might have change.

e.g2
Sergio Perez 2012 season vs 2013 was it the driver or the cars I leave that up to you to think on.

Conspiracy (Mclaren stop Perez chances at making it to Ferrari next year) off topic Sorry

So with the Overrated/Underrated topic is not fair, why you ask?
Because I believe that first if you what to rate it then all driver should be given the same spec car "right down to the very last bolt" then an only then could I truly rate persons.

In Formula 1 it all about having the right "formula" at the right time.

Looking forward to the next pole Overrated/Underrated teams

the fact you see it has being LH fault prooves to me your not worth listening to.......

Do you race in the real world? Unless you are a real world racer, you are not worth listening to. :whistling:

Watch the video replay, Hamilton was the one who moved to the right trying to close the door. If Hamilton had maintained his line they would not have collided where they collided. Now if Bottas had collided with Hamilton in the apex, I might agree with you, but they collided before this because Hamilton tried to close the door.

Hamilton is a fast driver, but he is prone to making mistakes, making mistakes just like most of the other drivers. He is a good driver, but it's laughable to say Hamilton is in a league of his own. :laugh:

it's all just speculation, short of seeing the list of Top Gears "Star in a reasonably priced car" I don't think we'll ever see them compete head to head on equal terms again.

Do you race in the real world? I am going to guess the answer is no. Because any real world racer would know comparing lap times at any time other than when the drivers share the same track at the same time is meaningless. Track conditions change. They are not static. Top Gear is fun, it's entertainment, but to think because driver "A" does better than driver "B" on two different Top Gear shows that driver "A" is the better driver is laughable.

Do you race in the real world? Unless you are a real world racer, you are not worth listening to. :whistling:

Watch the video replay, Hamilton was the one who moved to the right trying to close the door. If Hamilton had maintained his line they would not have collided where they collided. Now if Bottas had collided with Hamilton in the apex, I might agree with you, but they collided before this because Hamilton tried to close the door.

Hamilton is a fast driver, but he is prone to making mistakes, making mistakes just like most of the other drivers. He is a good driver, but it's laughable to say Hamilton is in a league of his own. :laugh:

Bottas Struggle all day yesterday at the section of the track, Hamilton was just the Icing on the cake luckily it wasn't the current would champion vs Bottas at that section:coffee:, I guess 2012 and 2013 Brazil seen to be just bad luck for LH:speechless:

I do think Hamilton is a good race car driver. I am not implying that he is a bad one. I just laugh when someone claims he is in a League of his own. Ignore Vettel for a second because yes his Red Bull in the 2nd half of the season was clearly so much better than every other team. Rosberg had similar results than Hamilton had this year. Alonso didn't have the fastest car and yet he over the last few years has out performed the Brit and Raikkonen is in a similar boat. It is extremely difficult to say who the best is, but none of these drivers stands out as if they belonged in their own League.

I see it different.
Bottas put himself in lewis blind spot and what did he expect to do from there overtake on the outside ?
Seriously not a chance in hell overtaking on the outside on that corner.
Its up to the driver who has the car infront and in his eye line to make sure he dont hit the other driver.
I cant see how this was LH fault there was plenty of room left on the track and bottas new that the racing line is a wide angle on that corner he new full well lewis would have to squeeze him to make a clean apex and exit.
That touch was bottases fault because he put himself there in LW blind spot and did not expect the worst im sorry but thats just bad driving on bottas side.
Why lewis got a penalty for doing nothing wrong is beyond me he did not push botas of the track bottas just didnt react to what was obviously going to happen.

Let me explain somthing,
If it was lewis who overtook bottas on the inside as they come to that corner and not bottas weak attempt to overtake as what happened would you still think it was LH fault ?.
No im not a racing driver but i do understand right from wrong

Last edited:
I do think Hamilton is a good race car driver. I am not implying that he is a bad one. I just laugh when someone claims he is in a League of his own. Ignore Vettel for a second because yes his Red Bull in the 2nd half of the season was clearly so much better than every other team. Rosberg had similar results than Hamilton had this year. Alonso didn't have the fastest car and yet he over the last few years has out performed the Brit and Raikkonen is in a similar boat. It is extremely difficult to say who the best is, but none of these drivers stands out as if they belonged in their own League.

Its my opinion i truly believe if you put LH in a red bull he will do to SV what senna did to prost.

Kelaroost sometimes I wonder if you are watching the same races as we (I) do. I agree on what the stewarts conclude that it was Hamilton to blame. Bottas wasn't in his blind spot. Both rear wheel collided so Bottas was directly beside him. If Hamilton did not care to watch in that direction that is his fault not the fault of Bottas. I only find the penalty given to Hamilton a bit harsh. Hamilton also suffered from that accident. I also don't agree with you on Vettel. Yes he is in the best car, but as said before both Webber en Vettel made it the best car around. The likes like Newey can't develop a great car when he has no great drivers to work with. And becoming 4 times WC in a row with 13 wins this season does not happen by accident. But as said before you look to F1 through another set of glasses then me. Obvious you are not a Vettel lover. I don't mind that but please be fair to what he accomplished. I hope next season he gets a better fight on his hands. Lets hope Alonso or Hamilton will take the title in 2014.

Most Overrated: Daniel Ricciardo - Why he gets the RedBull Seat is for me not really understandable. Yes, he has been in the RB department for some years and is a RB-Talent. But, when you look at his results, he is not clearly faster than Vergne.

Most Underrated: Bottas - He is fairly quick. But the Williams was a very poor car this year. Hopefully it will be better next season. And it will be interesting to see if he can beat Massa sometimes.

Most overrated by fans - Lewis Hamilton. His only championship win was by luck. And that was against a driver the calibre of Massa who I have never labelled as talented. Also don't forget the espionage incident that same season. Also while Lewis can put in quick laps, I personally feel Rosberg has outperformed him this season despite Lewis finishing ahead on points.

Most overrated by stats - Kimi Raikonen. I am of course talking about today's Kimi and not the Ferrari world champion or the McLaren young star. He has a complete lack of qualifying pace and even though he had a solid chance of finishing 3rd in this years championship, I feel a lot of it had to do with consistency, lucky safety cars and stuff.

Most underrated by fans - Seb Vettel. I don't need to elaborate here. Most consecutive wins in a season. Most wins in a season. 4 times in a row champion. Youngest race winner. Youngest world champion. He wasn't handed the number 1 seat at Red Bull. He earned it by proving he was a better driver than Webber. I rank him right up there with the best of the best in history.

Most underrated by stats - Fernando Alonso. With Ferrari's pace this season itself, his comfortable second this season speaks for itself. I believe he is the only man in F1 today who could give Vettel a run for his money given equal machinery.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back