Whining tires when braking with ABS

Leif Jensen

Kaspersky Motorsport
When I drive a car with ABS turned on I get the same whining sounds from the tires as when they lock up, but of course no smoke and feels like the wheels does'nt lock up - so why the whining sound ? It's disturbing

It's the same nomatter if I drive an Alfa Guilietta or a BMW Z4 GT3

Happy New Year

Leif

You have maximum brake pressure applied and the ABS system is working to keep the tires in motion while applying the max amount of brake pressure for that to happen. Tires being on the edge of traction are making that sound. Also depending on the level of ABS you have applied to the GT3 car your Tires might squeal less or more. I guess ABS systems not being perfect tires might be on the edge of locking up before that's detected and they are allowed to rotate and brake power is modulated.

There is also a setting within the audio options that might have an influence. It's named "tire skid volume onset". Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it let's the sound "kick in" a bit earlier than it actually would be. It's there to give you some (early) feedback from the tires in compensation for the missing G-forces in front of your monitor.

If you set it to 100% it may meet your expectations better, but you have still to consider what Cristian said.
tyre_skid_volume_onset.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back