1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC Whining tires when braking with ABS

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Leif Jensen, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Leif Jensen

Leif Jensen
    Kaspersky Motorsport Premium Member

When I drive a car with ABS turned on I get the same whining sounds from the tires as when they lock up, but of course no smoke and feels like the wheels does'nt lock up - so why the whining sound ? It's disturbing

It's the same nomatter if I drive an Alfa Guilietta or a BMW Z4 GT3

Happy New Year

Leif

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bad sound engineering.

3. Cristian Haba

Cristian Haba
    #555 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs Staff Premium Member

You have maximum brake pressure applied and the ABS system is working to keep the tires in motion while applying the max amount of brake pressure for that to happen. Tires being on the edge of traction are making that sound. Also depending on the level of ABS you have applied to the GT3 car your Tires might squeal less or more. I guess ABS systems not being perfect tires might be on the edge of locking up before that's detected and they are allowed to rotate and brake power is modulated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. There is also a setting within the audio options that might have an influence. It's named "tire skid volume onset". Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it let's the sound "kick in" a bit earlier than it actually would be. It's there to give you some (early) feedback from the tires in compensation for the missing G-forces in front of your monitor.

If you set it to 100% it may meet your expectations better, but you have still to consider what Cristian said.
    tyre_skid_volume_onset.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

really helpful advice that. If you have nothing useful to say why post at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado
    #17 Talking Door Racing Staff

Just as when you are at the limit of grip your tires squeal, ABS does the same when braking. Everything normal there, it is a indicator that the ABS is working.

7. Setting the 'skid volume onset' slider to 200% and 'tire volume' at 3% made things much more realistic IMO. (still not perfect, but much better)

8. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium Member

thx for this info. Will give it a go...