Where has all the disk space gone? (Win 7)

Right, so previously I've been using Win7 on my laptop and I didn't care much about disk space since all I'm doing with it is photography related.

However, on my desktop PC Win7 started to suddenly eat up lots of disk space. I tried re-allocating the swap file and that freed exactly the space the swap file had used but there's still around 1.1GB missing. Currently 41GB are in use, 6.8GB are free. Yet, having an 60GB SSD (which translates into 55GB according to Windows) that doesn't add up to 55GB.

Any ideas? Usually I'd go for temp files etc. but since the folders only add up to 41GB I'm a bit clueless. System restore is disabled, swap file placed on my 180GB SSD.

Ye, I've deleted hibernate.sys

And, as I have 12GB ram, I've reduced the pagefile.sys from 10gb to 4gb (no need from windows to use "fake RAM" when I have 12GB.

In addition to that, old nVidia drivers gets stored, so you can delete those as well. And every time you innstall a new nVidia driver, the innstallation-files gets saved, so they ends up taking quite a lot of space.
Google Chrome are saving history.dat files, for each month, you probably only need the last 2-3 months, so you can delete the others. Also, Chrome are often saving up a huuuuge cache-folder. Which one in reality does not need with the speed on todays internet. So you can safely limit the chrome cache to 1kb :)

I did all of this, and got 17 GB more space :)

Note: I do not know if you use chrome, or nVidia. Just mentioned what I did :)

Please try command.com --> chkdsk (can find lost clusters)
And maybe downloading Piriform's CCleaner could help. It will search for temp files and stuff, maybe invisible/lost files as well.

Ah, just googled for it in German. Hehe, system recovery maybe? Sorry, if this has a different name in English. The thing you can reset your Windows to certain points. Turned on by default I think...I deactivate everything right away, so can't tell.
A user retrieved a MASSIVE 150 Gbyte of disc space!!!
Oh, just to prevent missunderstanding: Explorer told this user the 150 GByte were not there, neither free nor used!

Internet Explorer cache, any other web browser cache, Both temp and tmp directories,

Look in Windows Explorer and make sure you are set to not hide system files and folders to get a better view of what is and isn't being used. I would also right click on different folders and choose properties to get the exact values for each folder and how much space they are taking up. I am guessing that either the system or you have missed something in the math.

I did everything that you guys suggested already, that's the problem. The only thing I didn't do is deleting hibernate.sys - but hibernating is not even enabled. :\

It's not as important anymore since moving the swap file to my 180GB SSD eliminated the Black Ops 2 crashes (since it ran out of memory all the time \o/). I'll boot from my recovery disk (Linux) later on and check if it's adding up properly there. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back