Where do I put the cubemaps for RFactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
Hi I got RFactor and the graphics reek! I need the cubemaps to improve the graphics. I hear the RFacotr cubemaps go in a different place than the GTR EVO ones. Where do the RFactor ones go and what do you call them?

Thanks

Ross,

From what I can tell looking at the readme, you need to look for a cubemap file with a .dds extension, in the vehicle folder for the mod (rfactor\gamedata\vehicles\[modname]). You then rename the DDS file in the archive, naming it the same as the one in the vehicle folder. Take a backup of the file before you try putting a new one in the directory, just in case it doesn't work...

I've never used different cubemaps myself, although I'm thinking of giving it a go when I get home.

The best way to get the cubemaps to work is to download the utilities from ISI (http://www.rfactor.net/downloads/utils/rFToolsPublicV2.zip) and run the MAS viewer. If you examine the MAS file for the vehicle, it should give a clue as to what the cubemap is named (For instance in the BMW M3 GTR mod, it's called "BMW_CUBE_DX9.DDS") simply rename the DDS file you've downloaded to this and place it in the same directory as the MAS file.

That's the idea anyway - however I haven't noticed a huge difference.. :D

• MatthewRuddy

I installed the MAS editor, ran it, dragged and dropped CAR_CUBE.dds and FS08_CUBE.dds into the editor for the .mas files in vehicles, FSone 2008 SE and FSone 2008 SP, yet the cars look no different.

What am I doing wrong?

• Kyle Evers

The stock tracks and cars are certainly pretty mediocre (the ISI tracks are terrible, China is very blocky, and Barcelona is all wrong) But some of the mods and mod tracks are astounding.

Well yes the stock tracks are meh but check out this screenshot of me playing the MMG F1 2007 mod on Bahrain by CTDP - awesome looking if I say so myself! It was shrunken and uploaded so some quality was lost but still :)!

zvv1wo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back