When are you faster?

I have only had the game a few days now, and have spent a lot of my time on 'Nordschleife', I have noticed I seem to go faster if I am trying to keep / catch up with someone?

What do you guys prefer? A chase, or an open road?

:chuck:

If I'm chasing, I can usually keep up for a bit. If I'm being followed I usually make a mistake that sends me off the track. If I'm by myself I have no sense of speed/pace so I usually end up lapping a little bit slower.

If You go faster when follow someone that means You don't know prefectly track and You just watch the racing line of your opponent and use that for yourself. If You know track for 100% than other driver only distract You and block You for your best line.

• Kyle Evers

Personally I'm faster on my own because when I'm racing and I'm trying to get more speed around a corner but the driver in front of me is not obeying the blue flag, than I must slow down.

I'm faster on my own. If I'm catching up on another driver, it usually means that I'm going faster overall than him/her, and so when I get close, the other driver probably brakes earlier or exits slower than me (I prefer it when they have a slow exit :p) and this makes me brake earlier to so that I won't run into the other car. And I'm usually slower when beeing chased too because I have this nasty habit of constantly looking in the review mirror even when the other drivers are pretty far back.

• vmagics

My best lap times are when I'm hotlapping but at very specific (and rather stupid) times. What happens is this - I'm trying to beat my best time and I can't for the life of me stop overdriving, overshooting braking points, braking too hard, accelerating too hard. But when I make a very minor mistake at the start of a lap I reside myself to an inevitable crap time so I take my time. This is when I make a major improvement. This has happened time and time again so it can't just be a coincidence. The annoying thing is, I can't put myself into that relaxed state of mind making it very difficult to perform the smooth driving without making that minor error at the start. Silly eh? Still, it's helped me to realise how devastating it is when I try to force a good lap time. Overdriving'll cook your tyres quicker than a puppy in a microwave.

• Phil123

interesting question...I think I'm quicker when chasing someone but always quicker when on my own with a clear track concentrating on the perfect line, breaking/accelerating points etc, devoid of distractions. I do quite a bit of Karting in real life and its the same there.

Phi

I've only driven in GTRevo for some days. I'm a little faster, but also a lot more consistent when driving for myself.
However two days ago I raced with someone from another forum, just two cars on the track. He was considerably faster than me. There was no chance of overtaking him, so I was actually faster because I stayed 10-20 m behind and learned some of his techniques.

• Bob Kozakiewicz

Either the whole track to myself or chasing someone.....if I have someone chasing me, I tend to spend more time looking in the rear view mirror and end up making mistakes.

• Martin Pretorius

Faster when chasing somebody down, but also much more prone to crashing!! On my own I'm definately more consistent but also more conservative.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 354 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%