Wheel settings after update

Peter

who cares
All the old control sets are terminated with the update.

The advised settings are 900° and 30 wheel lock, but we tested and used default wheel driver settings without damper and spring.

For example Thrustmaster T500 60%/100%/100%/0%/0% and TX 75%/100%/100%/0%/0%.

Logitech uses 270° default, so the wheel lock is set to 10 in game.
Feel free to change that to 900°/30.

All wheels that have 900° should use this from now on as a default setting.

The target for the team is to have an automatic rotation/lock for all wheels/cars in the future.

Thanks but to be honest I've tried all manner of on-wheel settings, in-game settings and also controlset text file tweaks but in the end nothing reduces the meandering straight line behaviour and aggressive centring force. I think the ball is in Sector3's court with this one.

For the record I use the same on-wheel settings in all other sims and get good results.

After messing around with the rcs file I've decided to revert to my previous settings, which were actually Msportdan's slightly modified for my DFP. Thanks for that. I honestly get what you guys are saying. No setting really feels right, which is unfortunate but these feels comfortable enough for me and that'll do.
I really wish one of the devs responsible for the physics would pop up and try to explain why certain things are as they are...:whistling:

I reckon that if they could explain it they would have no issues in doing so here, but fact of the matter is that not everyone are experiencing the same issues that you guys are talking about.
I used to have this feeling of very loose center, having issues keeping the car on track on the straights, swerving all over the place.
But after the physics and FFB fix that S3 implemented several months ago this problem has been fixed for me on the updated cars, and that's through 3 different wheels, a Fanatec GT3, a Thrustmaster T300 and now a CSW v2, all felt really good with the game since the fix.
I'm not saying your problem doesn't exist, but if it's something that hits only a few users and not all then it's a really hard problem to find and solve, especially since the developers can't rely on what they feel but have to rely on how you explain how you feel.

I used to have this feeling of very loose center, having issues keeping the car on track on the straights, swerving all over the place.

I've never had any of these issues. My issue is that all the cars feel disconnected from the road, like they're driving on a cushion of air or water, and this is not a pleasing feeling. I've tried literally dozens of FFB settings (on both a GT3 RS and T300) and that feeling never fully goes away.

The lack of audio feedback from tires when they're scrubbing amplifies this disconnected feeling, I can see that my car is starting to slide sideways but I get no input from my wheel or speakers telling me that I have started to slide and this makes it difficult to correct said slide. The overwhelming majority of people I've talked to about this sim (couple dozen) all say the same thing, feels floaty like driving a hovercraft, so I'd guess more than a few users are experiencing this particular issue.

Parts of the FFB are brilliant and the best I've ever experienced, but there seems to be a critical element missing which, for me, basically ruins the whole experience. As a result, even though I desperately want to love this sim (and have dropped close to $100 on it), it continues to collect dust in my library.

The lack of audio feedback from tires when they're scrubbing amplifies this disconnected feeling, I can see that my car is starting to slide sideways but I get no input from my wheel or speakers telling me that I have started to slide and this makes it difficult to correct said slide.
I had this problem early on and turned down my engine and turned up scrub skid volume. It still doesn't match iRacing for road connectedness feel but it's much better and my main problem remains that ffb center deadzone issue.

I had this problem early on and turned down my engine and turned up scrub skid volume. It still doesn't match iRacing for road connectedness feel but it's much better and my main problem remains that ffb center deadzone issue.

I've done the same, all sounds are at 20% or 30% except tire noise. I can hear the noise but it comes in too late and only when you've past the limits of the tires. Real tires will start to protest as you approach the limit, warning you of what's about to happen, and that's not replicated in R3E (at least not on my copy).

Thanks but to be honest I've tried all manner of on-wheel settings, in-game settings and also controlset text file tweaks but in the end nothing reduces the meandering straight line behaviour and aggressive centring force. I think the ball is in Sector3's court with this one.

For the record I use the same on-wheel settings in all other sims and get good results.

I had the same problem (and have a few posts about it in this thread). Although the new settings don't completely resolve it, in my experience they have helped tame it. More specifically (and somewhat surprising to me), the Friction setting has been the most useful. I've set it to 50%, and that seems to reduce the aggressive (over)centering. I continue to believe that there is also something to the audio and graphics that contribute to the floaty/hovercraft sensation, but all in all I've now gotten it to a tolerable level.

You know what bugs me ? ..and I believe this contributes to the "floaty" effect...the "world movement" seems so exaggerated. I have it turned down all the way but I still have problems sometimes. There is just way too much simulated car movement that screws me up because I'm sitting still. Nauseating.

"The lack of audio feedback from tires when they're scrubbing amplifies this disconnected feeling, I can see that my car is starting to slide sideways but I get no input from my wheel or speakers telling me that I have started to slide and this makes it difficult to correct said slide."

I agree. But It's not the same whit all cars.

My Fanatec CSR settings: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/controller-profiles.883/#post-9484

As example the Benz 190 feels nearly the same in R3E, PCars and mostly the same in AC for me :)

I'm part of a discussion on another forum and one of the guys involved just randomly said this: " I gave R3E a quick go but I just didn't like the feel or the menus or the settings so I promptly gave up as it required no investment." That's been pretty much the response about R3E from every one of the dozen people involved in that conversation. :( Shame really, the sim has so much potential but so many people are turned off by it on their first impression that I'm sure it is ultimately hurting S3's sales and the future of the sim.

I'm not saying any of this to be critical or complain, but I do fear these issues are going to have really negative effects in the long run. All the people in that conversation are pretty serious about sim racing and most play at least two or three different sims regularly, but none of them will give R3E the time of day. Sure, for those willing to put a lot of time and effort into fiddling with settings and adapting to the FFB, there's a good sim to be had, but sadly a lot of people aren't willing to put forth that kind of effort since it's easier to just say "I don't like this" and move on to another sim. Maybe this isn't as common an issue as I think, but it's been pretty much the universal response I get when I mention R3E to anyone, and that concerns me.

I'm part of a discussion on another forum and one of the guys involved just randomly said this: " I gave R3E a quick go but I just didn't like the feel or the menus or the settings so I promptly gave up as it required no investment." That's been pretty much the response about R3E from every one of the dozen people involved in that conversation. :( Shame really, the sim has so much potential but so many people are turned off by it on their first impression that I'm sure it is ultimately hurting S3's sales and the future of the sim.

I'm not saying any of this to be critical or complain, but I do fear these issues are going to have really negative effects in the long run. All the people in that conversation are pretty serious about sim racing and most play at least two or three different sims regularly, but none of them will give R3E the time of day. Sure, for those willing to put a lot of time and effort into fiddling with settings and adapting to the FFB, there's a good sim to be had, but sadly a lot of people aren't willing to put forth that kind of effort since it's easier to just say "I don't like this" and move on to another sim. Maybe this isn't as common an issue as I think, but it's been pretty much the universal response I get when I mention R3E to anyone, and that concerns me.
I agree that it's a bit worrying, why do sims like iRacing manage to deliver passable FFB for just about everyone without really having much FFB settings at all, while other sims like R3E require lots of tinkering?

I agree that it's a bit worrying, why do sims like iRacing manage to deliver passable FFB for just about everyone without really having much FFB settings at all, while other sims like R3E require lots of tinkering?
This is something I've been complaining about for a while now. There are just far too many FFB settings in R3E, to the point it must be bewildering to many newcomers. I consider myself an experienced wheel user but some of these settings aren't explained very well at all, and without any form of calibration tool it's a case of constantly dipping in and out of the game/menus to test things to see what they do. Then you're advised to change settings for FWD and RWD cars. It's a mess and adding more sliders makes it more so.

If I play rF2 or GSC I get great FFB out of the box with only minor tinkering required. I like this kind of purity.

In the end FFB should realistically represent the effects of the road surface and forces acting on the tyres/steering rack. I just want what's correct for the car I'm driving, not any other interpretation.

Fake physics don't produce real steering rack forces. Myriad of FFB-effects do not manage to mask it.
The physics are fine, very good actually. My problem is how the physics translate into FFB. I don't feel enough detail of what the tyres are doing and general weight-shifting of the car. There is a resisting force when cornering but I feel the detail stops there. I also dislike the sloppy centre feel.

I can see why some people accuse the FFB of being 'fake' or 'canned' when it revolves around adjusting a bunch of sliders to taste rather than telling the player "this is how the car feels". It all feels a little simplistic to me, especially when a crucial setting such as steering rack forces doesn't appear to do anything (not on my wheel anyway). It leads me to believe all is not well with FFB. Something isn't right. However plenty of people seem to be more than happy with FFB in R3E so perhaps it's just me. As I have said before, I find the FFB to be adequately usable, quite decent in some ways. To me it just feels disjointed, segregated into categories rather than a FFB system that works as one.

On the plus side I feel the detail of the track surface is conveyed well through the FFB.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back